This is obviously a pipe dream but here goes....

If British RL is serious about international development then how about setting aside a weekend next summer for a batch of internationals to promote the world cup and give some nations a match to prepare for October.  In particular, if we are serious about developing Jamaica as an RL nation then what better way than playing an international IN Jamaica in world cup year?  It would not be good for Jamaica to get hammered so playing England is unlikely to be beneficial, but how about one of the weaker home nations such as Wales?

Part 2 of this mythical weekend would be a double header played in Belfast featuring Ireland v Scotland and England v France.  Why Belfast and not Dublin?  Well Dublin has a lot of high profile sporting events such as football, hurling, horse racing and RU whereas Belfast is less well served in this respect.  Windsor Park has a capacity of close to 20k so would be big enough but not too big.  But, if push came to shove Dublin would do!

Downsides are the costs involved and the willingness of British clubs to release players but it would seem a better development route than the pointless England v NZ game played in Denver a few years back.

I will keep on dreaming!

1 hour ago, wiggler said:

If British RL is serious about international development then how about setting aside a weekend next summer for a batch of internationals to promote the world cup and give some nations a match to prepare for October.  In particular, if we are serious about developing Jamaica as an RL nation then what better way than playing an international IN Jamaica in world cup year?  It would not be good for Jamaica to get hammered so playing England is unlikely to be beneficial, but how about one of the weaker home nations such as Wales?

As part of the WC build-up next year, I`d like to see a double-header Wales v France, men and women. 

For me, any internationals have to build up towards the World Cup - would like to see some of these games take place either in RLWC locations or in other locations in England/Wales with targeted marketing applied (e.g. a Wales game in Cardiff that promotes the Welsh group games in RLWC 2021 e.g. in programmes and stadium branding).

For a team like Jamaica, a place where there's a decent-sized Jamaican diaspora (I think I read that this was the case in Leeds?!) would be a good place for a game.

At the moment, I don't think the international game is big enough, or strong enough, to go to Jamaica on a whim. Every resource should be pushed towards growing the RLWC - so having games that create some interest in the tournament. Things that boost World Cup attendances and create some interest around the teams in there.

I think there's a time and a place to start pushing international development into countries like Jamaica, but with the RLWC already being in a precarious state, I would rather see all the limited resources ploughed into the tournament, with few distractions. Obviously if Jamaica wanted to host a World Cup warmup game off their own backs, they should be allowed to do so, but if you're talking as a central process, it should all be RLWC focused.

Wales v Jamaica was due to take place at the end of last season, branded as The Billy Boston Cup, but didn't happen due to lockdown. Could turn into a good event if played annually as a double header with mens and womens teams, played over the summer, get some live music on etc.

It's mentioned in this article Wales propose to play England for the NHS Cup – Wales Rugby League (WRL)

Be great to see France v Wales as annual fixture as well. 

We could perhaps have two set of double headers, one in pre season and one mid season. Maybe have Wales v Jamaica and England v France in the pre season one and then have Wales v Ireland/Scotland and England v Samoa/Tonga in the mid season one, just an idea.

Archived