Brazil - France WC Warm-up game

France will play Brazil at Cougar Park, Keighley on October 27, preparation for both teams' world cup campaign. I believe Keighley are hosting the game because co-owner Kaue Garcia is Brazilian.

Interesting timing as I think Brazil play England 5 days later, but presumably they're playing not long after arriving off the plane.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This game will take place at Featherstone.

If everyone has their head screwed on, they`ll treat it as an opposed session. Nothing more.

Understandable that the Brazilians should want a pre-tournament hit-out, but not convinced it`s such a good idea. Runs the obvious risk of someone`s WC being over before it begins.

There are only four days between group games for the women. The French could easily replace injured players. Not so the Brazilians. Won`t be a good look if they can`t find seventeen fit players for their third game.

• Thanks 1

Free admission too.

Looks like some pretty impressive athletes in the Brazil squad, will be very interesting to see how they get on. AIUI, the team is drawn from across the country, which is more than 50 times the size of England, and they can't afford airfares to fly everyone in for training camps, so they need the opportunity to have the team together for some kind of warm-up. Injury rates in the women's game are much much lower, so shouldn't be too much of a risk.

On 24/10/2022 at 18:09, bird said:

There could be some cover from Frankie Bunting in Bedford.

I`ve seen something somewhere on social media that she was excluded because Brazil RL wanted to prioritize actual (for want of a better word) Brazilians.

As far as I know, she doesn`t speak Portuguese. Would have stood a better chance of selection if she could act as principal on-field go-between for ref and players. Communication breakdowns could be a major problem, particularly around tackle and ruck rule applications.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

Result from a WC warm-up game played at Orrell St. James yesterday - 

Canada 6 Ireland 8

A truly extraordinary inclusion in the Canada squad is former Kiwi Fern Laura Mariu who qualifies through her Canadian-born mother. This will be her sixth women`s RLWC.

In terms of the history of women`s RL, worth noting that the final of the third of those tournaments took place at Suncorp in 2008 and finished New Zealand 34 Australia 0.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

...on the main forum.

...but without the words "Brazil" or "France" in the thread title. 🙄

Anyhoo, if you're curious.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

...but without the words "Brazil" or "France" in the thread title. 🙄

I believe gingerjon is a Yorkshireman and so the most important word to include in the title was obviously 'free'.