U19's Competition

21 minutes ago, BroncoFan said:

Shame there’s no video available, I’d love to watch the next players coming through.

was it a good game ?

Yes, Huddersfield running out 44-30 winners. First game for York U19's, with plenty to work on - the Giants looked more of a "team", and their shape with ball in hand looked more developed than York.

Shame I couldn't get a team list for Huddersfield - they had a tall, athletic and quick 2nd row playing for them who looked absolutely Super League ready.

• Thanks 1

On a related note, how good was it to see a women's U19's game being played in front of around 150 people, whilst the Valkyrie 1st team were training in the gym (they came out to watch 2nd half), and the conclusion of a training session with 15 or so U-14 girls (only a couple of whom, apparently, attached to the booming Heworth ARLC girls section), all on one evening 🙂

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Is this Chloe Smith in the picture? What's the junior club background?

Pic is of Liv Whitehead (I think!). Chloe came to York via an open trial for the U19 squad at the end of last season. She was at Castleford in 2022, and at Huddersfield previous to that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2023 at 12:50, RBKnight said:

York v Leeds tonight - might try to get along to this

Result was York 6 Leeds 24. Followed last week by Huddersfield 4 Leeds 72 ( both according to RFL Match Centre who aren't always 100% reliable).

Surprising discrepancy in winning margins given that York lost to Huddersfield. There's a Huddersfield/York return fixture on June 7th.

31 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Result was York 6 Leeds 24. Followed last week by Huddersfield 4 Leeds 72 ( both according to RFL Match Centre who aren't always 100% reliable).

Surprising discrepancy in winning margins given that York lost to Huddersfield. There's a Huddersfield/York return fixture on June 7th.

Sorry didn't give a report on the York-Leeds game .... arrived home very wet! On the stroke of kick-off, the rain came down heavily, turning it into a wet-ball game, posing problems for both teams. Lots of dropped balls and uncompleted sets.

York were a bit blunt, partly attributable to playing a few players out of their usual positions (eg Eva Azumi and Liv Whitehead in the centres). Leeds ended up adapting far better, and were worthy winners. 

If the previously mentioned Ruby Enright was the tall free-running player coming out of fall back for Leeds, she was indeed the stand-out player on the night.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

That’s a great result for York, Jess Sharp has enormous potential, I don’t know much about the other players apart from first teamers Whitehead & Kershaw.

T'Leesha is a middle forward out of (I think) East Leeds who, on the matches I've watched, has been the biggest yardage maker for the Valkyrie. York had a very strong team out last night, including Chloe Smith at Half-back and Chevelle Clark in the centre, who both train with the 1st team.

Not sure what Leeds did to deserve Emma Kershaw playing against them last night - she's only 19, but she barely missed a WSL match last season (scored a hat-trick against Wigan) and is now a very strong defender. I imagine Leeds wouldn't have got much joy down their right edge last night.