Nahel M played Rugby League.

3 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

For some reason this makes this tragic event seem even worse to me, which is odd as it is a minor detal considering what happened. 

I think it is perfectly reasonable to feel more connected to this case in comparison to other things that happen in the world.

I think that humans aren't designed to feel the exact same empathy for each thing that happens in the world, or we wouldn't be able to do or think about anything else - But for certain events, if they have some similarity in common with you, then you connect and feel more strongly about what has happened.

Like in this case, it is very sad to see that someone has been killed, and I have a certain amount of empathy because of that already, but that someone played Rugby League which makes it feel a bit closer to home then just a stranger in another country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Click said:

I think it is perfectly reasonable to feel more connected to this case in comparison to other things that happen in the world.

I think that humans aren't designed to feel the exact same empathy for each thing that happens in the world, or we wouldn't be able to do or think about anything else - But for certain events, if they have some similarity in common with you, then you connect and feel more strongly about what has happened.

Like in this case, it is very sad to see that someone has been killed, and I have a certain amount of empathy because of that already, but that someone played Rugby League which makes it feel a bit closer to home then just a stranger in another country.

That's it. I couldn't really describe what I was feeling but you've got it. To think, if language allowed, we could have chatted about the game seems a remarkable connection. Poor kid.

• Like 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

On 30/06/2023 at 12:00, corvusxiii said:

For some reason this makes this tragic event seem even worse to me, which is odd as it is a minor detal considering what happened. 

It's very reasonable - Rugby League folk are bound together far more than they are separated by their narrow club affiliations. In a way, he was family, just like your childhood hero, your most loathed rival club's star player or some foreign RL pioneer you haven't even heard of yet.

• Like 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson