LEWIS ELSE SIGNS NEW TWO-YEAR DEAL

LEWIS ELSE SIGNS NEW TWO-YEAR DEAL

5761.jpg

Rochdale Hornets playmaker Lewis Else has agreed a new two-year deal with the club, keeping him at the Crown Oil Arena until at least the end of the 2025 season.

The exciting young half-back joined the Hornets ahead of the 2023 Betfred League 1 season and went on to score 12 tries in 19 appearances in his debut campaign.

Formerly with Swinton Lions and Widnes Vikings’ academy before then, Else has established himself as a key figure as part of the Hornets’ aspirations for the 2024 season.

The 23-year-old has been an ever-present so far this season, appearing twice in both the 1895 Cup group stages and Betfred Challenge Cup before playing a starring role in Sunday’s victory at Midlands Hurricanes in Round 1 of the Betfred League 1 season.

Discussing his new deal, Else said: “When Andy Mazey approached me, it was an easy decision as I feel at home with the Hornets and I’m really enjoying my rugby, which really does help performances on the field.

“I feel in a really good place around good people, so that made my decision a lot easier.

“There’s a real buzz this season, both on and off the field. The club is going in the right direction and is on the up, and we want to be competing at the top end of the table and pushing for promotion. 

“It’s important that we stick together as staff, players and fans. I know we will, as we are a really close group and know we can achieve our goals together.”

Rochdale Hornets head coach Gary Thornton said: “I’m delighted Andy has been able to negotiate a deal with Lewis to keep him at the club for next season.

“He’s a very bright young talented player and we need to retain as many of our youngsters as we can and build a team around them for the coming seasons ahead.

“Lewis has worked really hard in the off-season and has started in sensational form, and is getting noticed for his bravery, his skill and his electric pace. Hopefully he can continue with his form this season, and he will surely prove to be a very valuable asset to the club.”

Chairman Andy Mazey said: “We are absolutely delighted to announce that Elsey has extended his contract until the end of 2025.

“We initially signed Elsey on a one year deal in 2023 and he was the first player we secured and renewed  for 2024. In addition to being a top player, he's a great bloke who really buys into what we are doing here at the club, and is a key part of the team we are building.

“This news should give our supporters a boost, and is a statement of our intent to continue steadily and sustainably building something special here at Rochdale Hornets. 

“It is the first time during my tenure here that we have been in a position to start to look beyond the 12 months in front of us, and we are now well underway with planning for 2025 and beyond.”

• Like 1