EMMERSON WHITTEL JOINS HORNETS UNTIL END OF SEASON

EMMERSON WHITTEL JOINS HORNETS UNTIL END OF SEASON

5763.jpg

Rochdale Hornets have signed loose forward Emmerson Whittel on a deal until the end of the 2024 season.

Whittel joins the club following his recent departure from fellow Betfred League 1 side Oldham, where he made 64 appearances across two spells. 

Prior to re-joining Oldham ahead of the 2022 campaign, Whittel spent time in Australia with Rockingham Sharks. 

The 29-year-old also lists Bradford Bulls, Gloucestershire All Golds and Keighley Cougars among his previous clubs. 

Discussing his move to the Crown Oil Arena, Whittel said: “I felt as if I needed to get back enjoying my rugby again and I knew most of the players here.

“It was still a tough decision as I had interest from other clubs, but I feel I’ve definitely made the right choice for me and my family.

“Rochdale is a great, historic club with a passionate fan base. I definitely couldn’t turn down the opportunity to be playing with a decent set of lads again, and I’d like to thank Andy Mazey and the board for bringing me to the club. 

“On a personal level, I want to get back to enjoying playing rugby. I want us to be in the play-off picture as a minimum, come the end of the season, and I will definitely be doing everything I can to help the club gain promotion.”

Rochdale Hornets chairman Andy Mazey said: “When Emmerson contacted me to say he was being released by Oldham, it was perfect timing having just lost Kenny Baker to retirement

“As soon as I told Gary Thornton he was available, he did not hesitate and said "let’s do all we can to get him”. 

“We moved quickly and secured his signature ahead of our rivals, and I believe we have added one of the most consistent performers in League 1 to our squad. 

“Having done our homework on Emmy, we've heard nothing but the highest possible praise from former coaches and team-mates, labelling him as a true competitor, a winner and highlighting his consistency of performance week in and week out, which will only add to the culture Gary is creating here. 

“What has struck me more than anything in the last few days speaking to Emmy is that he’s a no-nonsense bloke who just wants to get back playing and enjoying himself, so hopefully we can help get a smile back on his face.”

Whittel is in contention to make his Hornets debut this Sunday when Hunslet visit the Crown Oil Arena. 

Until the end of the week, supporters can enjoy 10% off tickets for that game and the four home games which follow using the code “DOUBLEDALE” at checkout. 

Certainly could add some Oz spice for Hunslet and especially revisiting Boundary Park. 

“Rugby-wise, the trip couldn't have gone better for Emmerson, who played in every Rockingham game in 2020. They reached their Grand Final only to lose in extra time. He played for 105 minutes.

Over in Cairns, he played in 17 out of 18 games in 2021. They won the league easily (by something like ten points), but were knocked out of the play-offs in the semi-final.

He was also pleased to be rated 18th out of the top 100 players in the Cairns District League.

He added: "It's been a good three years -- promotion with Roughyeds in 2019, beaten extra-time Grand Finalists with Rockingham in 2020 and Minor Premiership winners with Cairns in 2021.

Over the two years in Australia I've played prop, second-row and loose-forward. I prefer the back three, but I can play 'middles' if I have to, as I did a few times at Oldham in 2019."

• Like 1