Oldham loss must act as reset says London Broncos boss

LONDON BRONCOS coach Jason Demetriou says the “right response” to a first league loss of the season is “everything” as the chase for 1895 Cup and play-off success – and the wait to see is a Super League berth next year is available – continues.

The Australian team chief had no complaints over the 34-24 setback at Oldham, which ended a Championship winning run which had taken in 21 matches.

The table-topping Broncos had also triumphed once in the Challenge Cup (before losing 26-8 at home to Bradford in round three) and four times in the 1895, securing a final showdown against Widnes at Warrington on Bank Holiday Monday, August 31.

They host Halifax at the Cherry Red Records Stadium on Sunday, then play their final regular-season game against Swinton at Richmond Athletic Ground on Saturday, September 5.

They will enter the play-offs at the second stage, and Demetriou says his side have to be ready to “nail key moments in games”.

He added: “We didn’t do that at Oldham, and coupled with poor discipline at the back of the field, that meant they were able to put us under pressure and put fatigue into us.

“The positive was that we stuck in there and made the game as close as we did, but I feel an outcome like that has perhaps been coming.

“When you have the record we have this year, teams want to knock you over, and we have to cope with that.

“Widnes came close to doing it (London won 42-36 at the DCBL Stadium earlier this month), and now Oldham have done, and credit to them.

“They were motivated, they had extremely high completion, they starved us of possession and they played some good football.

“We need to take the result as a reset.”