Third mauling of the Wolves by the Bulls!



For the third year in a row, Bridgend Blue Bulls scored a try in the dying seconds to again beat Aber Valley Wolves in the Welsh Grand Final.


Ian Golden reports from the Stadium





It was Bridgend’s ninth win the 14-year history of the competition but this time they were underdogs, Aber Valley having finished top of the league and were the better side in the regular season.

It looked like they were going to run away with this game. They took the lead on eight minutes when Arron Evans skirted through from dummy half. Dan Davies converted.

Lewys Willacott, in his second game of the day, scored the second try for the Wolves, which Davies improved to make it 12-0 on 12 minutes.

There was no further scoring in the first half, although both sides had their chances in a lively game, but like the Scorpions game earlier, the constant rain made the ball greasy, ruining a number of opportunities.

Bridgend scored first in the second half, three minutes in, Dai Griggs going in under the posts and Gareth Howells converting to bring the score back to 12-6.

Suddenly the tables were turning. A quick brace of tries from Scott Johnson, Howells converting the first, gave the Bulls a 16-12 lead.

A try and conversion from Howells followed extending their lead to 22-12 before Griggs topped off a man of the match performance by scoring near to the sticks, Howell slicing the kick wide but the Bulls had a 14 point lead going into the final stages.

But Wolves weren’t finished yet. Despite going a man down thanks Ryan Evans seeing yellow for talking back, they scored the next try through Ryan Williams, Dan Davies converting to bring the score back to 26-18.

Then with just ten minutes left on the clock, Geraint Clarke squeezed through to pull another back for the Wolves, Davies converting again and the Bulls had a slender two point lead.

And the largely Wolves crowd erupted when Jacob Wright scored in the dying seconds, Davies missing the kick but Wolves now had a two point advantage.

But Bridgend had one more card left to pull out of the pack and that came to Dale Wood who touched down whilst under pressure to secure their third successive title. Griggs converted as the final whistle blew.



  1. Lewys Willacott
  2. Joel Richards
  3. Mathew Curtis
  4. Josh Watkins
  5. Lloyd Davies
  6. Dan Davies
  7. Aaron Owen
  8. Rhys Hutchinson
  9. Ryan Williams
  10. Dai Davies
  11. Charlie Morgan
  12. Darren Griffin
  13. Geraint Clarke


  1. Ieuan Alexander
  2. Gavin Gabrielle
  3. Craig Hadley
  4. Jacob Wright
  5. Callum Rowe
  6. Darryl Skym
  7. Lloyd Hughes



  1. Jack Dryden
  2. Lewis Hughes
  3. Gareth Howells
  4. Stuart Robson
  5. Lewis Morgan
  6. Gareth Cox
  7. Joe Symons
  8. Mark Orpin
  9. Nicky Giles
  10. Nathan Hawkins
  11. Tom Ansen
  12. Dan Forrester
  13. Scott Johnson


  1. John Lloyd
  2. Keiron Hooper
  3. Dale Wood
  4. Dai Griggs
  5. Lewis Rees
  6. Jarrod Jones
  7. Mark Tame