Wakefield chairman Michael Carter has revealed he is in talks with Dewsbury Rams about a ground-share for 2017, but once again he has stressed he does not want to leave Belle Vue.
Carter wrote in his programme notes ahead of Sunday’s game against St Helens that he was seeking alternative options away from Belle Vue – but he revealed to League Express that a potential ground-share with the Rams is back on the table.
Talks were tentatively held last year but, with no decision still made over the redevelopment of Belle Vue, he has now been backed into a corner after being told by the RFL the ground will not be given dispensation as being fit for purpose for 2017 unless plans are in place for developing the stadium.
“I’ve had a meeting with the RFL, who have said that Belle Vue is simply not fit for purpose,” Carter told League Express.
“There will be no dispensation for us to keep playing there as it stands without seeing some sort of concrete progress about how it is going to be redeveloped.”
Dewsbury released a statement, saying: “The club can confirm that talks have taken place with Wakefield Trinity Wildcats regarding the possibility of a ground-share at The Tetley’s Stadium for the 2017 season.
“Talks will advance or be concluded when Wakefield learn more about circumstances at their current home ground, so the ball is very much in their court at this stage.”
For more on this developing story, buy the new edition of League Express, available in stores now or online by clicking here.