What a World Cup it was down under! With England performing admirably, coming up just short against Australia on home turf, we thought we ought to celebrate the World Cup in all its glory. What better way to do that than show you all the colour, passion, heartache and celebration in a fantastic photographic retrospective.
We’ve got pictures from every single World Cup game with some games, including every England game, featured as a double page spread as well as pictures from the Women’s World Cup, held concurrently with the men’s competition.
We’re not just all about the World Cup, there’s also some other great content to get your teeth into as we pass into the new year:
- Giants and Wire fans, we have competitions to win your respective club shirts. Jermaine McGillvary even took the time to sign the winner of the Giants competition’s shirt!
- Where is former England centre Paul Newlove these days? We found out and talked to him about his World Cup memories.
- They were selected by a panel of experts for you, the World XIII has been named, including three England representatives.
- Christmas Day games are a thing of the past but RLW remembers when they were a real festive highlight.
- Dave O’Sullivan travelled over to the World Cup as physio to the England team, he gives us his prognosis on the event.
- Matt Cecchin was under a very bright spotlight after England’s semi-final win over Tonga, but Richard Silverwood rallies behind him in his column.
- Fifty years ago, Sunday games were controversially added to the Rugby League calendar, Doug Thomson gets all nostalgic.
- As always we have our regular helpings of Treiziste Diary and Breathing Fire as well as Dave Hadfield’s view on Callum McLelland in ‘Last Tackle’