#1 Anchorman

Anchorman
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

[Had to re-register my account...hmph huh.gif ]

Some discussion on another part of the forum:

http://www.totalrl.c...howtopic=200641

But wondered what my fellow Sheffield fans thought of the occasion.

I enjoyed the experience [if not the game dry.gif ] - the closeness to the action, the facilities for the fans. I wasn't too impressed with the match day annoucer though! Is Richard Lee not allowed at the Lane?

The big screen was a bonus too!

Looking forward to the Wigan game. Hope any new or returning Eagles fans stick with us through these exciting times!

"The human torch was denied a bank loan."

#2 Grey Beard

Grey Beard
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

Although the result was a disappointment, the experience was excellent apart from the tannoy system - all I could here was echo whnever he spoke.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

#3 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:10 PM

I usually queue towards St Mary's Gate, I've bought Diesel @ the BP Filling Station and got Nectar Points added, I had a number of pints in the Cricketer's before it closed and the Sheaf House is a pub worth having a pint in.....Other than that it is a very miserable Lane, nothing much to talk about until the Eagles decided to be embarrassed there this week.......
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#4 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

Got to stand up at the game without interference from the stewards which was good.
Wasn't keen on giving out my personal details at the ticket office and they quickly changed it so nobody had to.
Excellent view compared to the Don Valley.
Hope your experiment works with the cheap tickets and you can attract bigger crowds and generate a better atmosphere,

#5 wings beneath my feet

wings beneath my feet
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

Was in the middle (cheap deal) thought the venue was great - sound was ok - could hear much cheering by either sets of fans - was there any? Dancing girls were good particularly when they upset the fev warm up!

#6 Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition
  • Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

Despite being a Wednesday fan, on the whole i liked it.

Entrance at the turnstiles was straight forward, pitch excellent, big screen handy, PA guy needs a stimulant or replacing with Richard Lee.

Only downside was the jobsworthy hi-viz who tried to mive us from the next-to-end block. He was saying that the fire regs didnt allow us to use that block. I showed him my season card which had "unreserved seating" written very clearly on it and then explained that the block adjacent was full and we had no choice but to sit there, or stand in the isle.

Dont know if he tried to move the 30 or so people who moved there in the half time break as i was invited to do colour commentary for hospital radio in the second half. Having given up trying to be Eddie Waring ill try and emulate my hero James Hunt.

Also, ive now had clarification on the after-match Platinum Suite situation.
After games the platinum suite is open and available to all fans, the only restriction is that the maximum occupancy is 500. However, the Platinum Suite is not available after the Wigan game but will be for all the others.
2010 - Where it all begins again......

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Basil Exposition @ Apr 13 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont know if he tried to move the 30 or so people who moved there in the half time break as i was invited to do colour commentary for hospital radio in the second half.

Brilliant! Colour radio! I need one of those. happy.gif
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition
  • Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Griff @ Apr 13 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brilliant! Colour radio! I need one of those. happy.gif

http://en.wikipedia....lor_commentator

I especially like the "former athelete" bit.

cool.gif

Edited by Basil Exposition, 13 April 2010 - 01:55 PM.

2010 - Where it all begins again......

#9 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Got to sit in the posh seats (the VIP bit where sponsors and so on go) and it was the most comfortable experience I've ever had at an RL match. Padded seats, tremendous view and commentary from a bloke behind who kept going on about the "clown rugby" Sheffield were playing. He had a point.

Much better than DVS. Lets hope we can improve our crowds - and performances - and give ourselves something to build on.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Basil Exposition @ Apr 13 2010, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://en.wikipedia....lor_commentator

I especially like the "former athlete" bit.

cool.gif

Yes, all right, Basil.

It wa just a joke. dry.gif
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 frances4fev

frances4fev
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

I know you are asking Eagles supporters about their experience but would like to add mine and the people I was with the atmosphere and the venue 100% better than than I've had when we have attended games at DVS

#12 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

Yes, but Don Valley cost us ###### all, an Eagle learning to fly was the main attraction!!!!!!

Posted Image

#13 sthelensliam

sthelensliam
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

Was my 1st ever eagles game and championship game for that matter. Thought on the whole the experience was good but there was so many little things that could of been added that would of made it alot better day and would of probaly brought more people back this week. I'm coming back again and again and will be getting a season ticket once this hatrick deal runs out but for me if the people in charge of sunday adjusted and added a few little things it would of been excellent.

Examples
- Seen no-one around the ground directing fans to the stand
- No-one selling programmes
- No-one explaining ticketing system even when mine saidd gates 1-6 when 68-75 or whatever where the only ones open.
-No flyer, leaflet explaining the rules of RL for new comers
- No flyers, leaflet for the next games
- No-one selling merchandise - i'm sure the one offers with children would of bought a cheap flag or scarf for them!

Also I hope the atmosphere improves once everyone sits together as when i got ther ei had no-idea where to sit and where the home and away fans would be.

I know it takes man-power to do alot of things but cheap students like myself who want to go to the game would certainly flyer for free if it mean a free ticket or half priced one or something!

Edited by sthelensliam, 14 April 2010 - 07:12 AM.

#14 Anchorman

Anchorman
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (sthelensliam @ Apr 14 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Examples
- Seen no-one around the ground directing fans to the stand
- No-one selling programmes
- No-one explaining ticketing system even when mine saidd gates 1-6 when 68-75 or whatever where the only ones open.
- No-one selling merchandise - i'm sure the one offers with children would of bought a cheap flag or scarf for them!

Glad you enjoyed the occasion sthelensliam. I'm sure those points will be helpful to the matchday staff. I too couldn't decide where to sit but I'm sure we'll all get used to it after a few games!

Enjoy the game against the pie-eaters on Saturday!
"The human torch was denied a bank loan."

#15 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

I feel I must attempt to answer some of the comments/criticisms mentioned in the postings.

The announcer and the PA. It was the first ever Rugby League game he had been to let alone announce at and was "LEARNING ON THE HOOF". HE HAD SPENT TIME THE PREVIOUS EVENING READING THE RULES/LAWS OF THE GAME.

He had stepped in at the last minute as the "normal" announcer (his father), had been admitted to hospital and we were discussing the "noise"/"feed back" with the PA during the game. They are used to 6 or 7 times as many speccies at a game and they absorb the sound so with an empty stadium the sound levels have to be ajusted accordingly and with "practice".

The people doing the live video screen/scoreboard, which was great, and VERY FEW RL CLUBS, let alone Championship clubs have, had never seen a RL match and Hawk-eye had to give them a lesson in the scoring and laws of the game, an hour before kick-off. Neither Hawk-eye nor myself (being pitchside and working with the PA lad) had a radio to communicate errors / info to each other as previously (eg when penalty try scored etc) and the normal practice at a soccer match at the Lane is that they phone each other up !!!! (Modern technology -things happen at a much slower pace in soccer !!) The PA guy's phone had a near flat battery as well!!

He had a few probs with the interchanges, especially as he was not prepared for a possible max of 24, so some were reversed etc, and that at times certain info comes thick and fast and the timing of music/announcements is so different to soccer, but IMO Adam got better as the game went on, and is now converted to RL as he thoroughly enjoyed his first experience. For a 1st attempt I think the "kid did well!!", as the saying goes. I am providing him (and/or his father with a spreadsheet for keeping up during the game!!!)

With reference to Richard Lee, he made his final appearance at the last DVS match. I think that no-one, from CE or Directors, recognised that fact should be ashamed as it was not mentioned. I only found out after the game. He uses his equipment, as does Gary (at BL) uses his own and the incumbanent PA announcer obviously does not like "outsiders" using personal gear, and Richard felt the same, but nothing had been said to him re thanking for services and for the crowd to show their appreciation for all his work over the years.

Programme (joke!) sellers... "Game On" [for what it is worth] ... was on sale by the turnstiles, near the bar and inside BUT the Sheffield United organisation did not "open up" any gate for the matchday staff who needed to be "in the ground" until far too late. There were approx 100 "Stat Attack" Flyers which I had designed and printed, as usual, myself, inside some copies of Game On, but I cannot finance the printing of these although if I have sufficient time they do get sent out with the newsletter, but at each Home game they are available in either , what will be used by the 300 club, or somewhere!!!

Shop ... merchandise..... that is a bone of contention as the replica kit has not appeared yet [which is appalling] and I was informed by Denise that there was "no point in opening the shop (part of the Blades Superstore) as there was nothing (?) to sell" The shop at DVS was not empty of all stock so ... your guess is as good as mine.

Finally re

I know that many weeks ago that information was supplied to the club wrt the "rules" and that was an item which Mark had wanted sorting... what happened, I do not know.

Flyers and leaflets for the next games is a problem, with no club programme, which everyone wants bar the RFL, which should be directed towards directors.

All the points raised are valid and I hope that some of the queries raised have been answered. I will pass on the info to the club management.

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#16 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Eagleraider @ Apr 14 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel I must attempt to answer some of the comments/criticisms mentioned in the postings.

The announcer and the PA. It was the first ever Rugby League game he had been to let alone announce at and was "LEARNING ON THE HOOF". HE HAD SPENT TIME THE PREVIOUS EVENING READING THE RULES/LAWS OF THE GAME.

He had stepped in at the last minute as the "normal" announcer (his father), had been admitted to hospital and we were discussing the "noise"/"feed back" with the PA during the game. They are used to 6 or 7 times as many speccies at a game and they absorb the sound so with an empty stadium the sound levels have to be ajusted accordingly and with "practice".

The people doing the live video screen/scoreboard, which was great, and VERY FEW RL CLUBS, let alone Championship clubs have, had never seen a RL match and Hawk-eye had to give them a lesson in the scoring and laws of the game, an hour before kick-off. Neither Hawk-eye nor myself (being pitchside and working with the PA lad) had a radio to communicate errors / info to each other as previously (eg when penalty try scored etc) and the normal practice at a soccer match at the Lane is that they phone each other up !!!! (Modern technology -things happen at a much slower pace in soccer !!) The PA guy's phone had a near flat battery as well!!

He had a few probs with the interchanges, especially as he was not prepared for a possible max of 24, so some were reversed etc, and that at times certain info comes thick and fast and the timing of music/announcements is so different to soccer, but IMO Adam got better as the game went on, and is now converted to RL as he thoroughly enjoyed his first experience. For a 1st attempt I think the "kid did well!!", as the saying goes. I am providing him (and/or his father with a spreadsheet for keeping up during the game!!!)

With reference to Richard Lee, he made his final appearance at the last DVS match. I think that no-one, from CE or Directors, recognised that fact should be ashamed as it was not mentioned. I only found out after the game. He uses his equipment, as does Gary (at BL) uses his own and the incumbanent PA announcer obviously does not like "outsiders" using personal gear, and Richard felt the same, but nothing had been said to him re thanking for services and for the crowd to show their appreciation for all his work over the years.

Programme (joke!) sellers... "Game On" [for what it is worth] ... was on sale by the turnstiles, near the bar and inside BUT the Sheffield United organisation did not "open up" any gate for the matchday staff who needed to be "in the ground" until far too late. There were approx 100 "Stat Attack" Flyers which I had designed and printed, as usual, myself, inside some copies of Game On, but I cannot finance the printing of these although if I have sufficient time they do get sent out with the newsletter, but at each Home game they are available in either , what will be used by the 300 club, or somewhere!!!

Shop ... merchandise..... that is a bone of contention as the replica kit has not appeared yet [which is appalling] and I was informed by Denise that there was "no point in opening the shop (part of the Blades Superstore) as there was nothing (?) to sell" The shop at DVS was not empty of all stock so ... your guess is as good as mine.

Finally re

I know that many weeks ago that information was supplied to the club wrt the "rules" and that was an item which Mark had wanted sorting... what happened, I do not know.

Flyers and leaflets for the next games is a problem, with no club programme, which everyone wants bar the RFL, which should be directed towards directors.

All the points raised are valid and I hope that some of the queries raised have been answered. I will pass on the info to the club management.

could sheffield get a second team playing at hillsborough the sheffield owls i think it would create a buzz and help raise the profile of the sport in the city and for both clubs with the steel city derby
Chief Crazy Eagle

#17 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hillsborough Hawks ARLFC play at Hillsborough !!!

Seriously though Wednesday do not like their pitch being used by anyone else.

3rd September 1989 v St Helens in front of 6200 [Lost 20 - 36]
5th November 1989 v Wigan in front of 7642 [Lost 10 22]

.. both in the Stones Bitter Championship when the club had to play at 7 different home grounds due to the Taylor Report on ground safety, and have been the ONLY times Eagles have played at Hillsborough.

The City of Sheffield would not support another team financially (they don't do very well towards Eagles re support) because it is soccer city, with soccer radio, soccer evening paper etc etc

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#18 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (Eagleraider @ Apr 14 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The City of Sheffield would not support another team financially (they don't do very well towards Eagles re support) because it is soccer city, with soccer radio, soccer evening paper etc etc

CORRECTION.......If you mean The Sheffield Star, it is now a morning paper.........

Posted Image

#19 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Eagleraider @ Apr 14 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously though Wednesday do not like their pitch being used by anyone else.

True, though I'm sure Wednesday's attitude may be different now they have such huge debts.

Hypothetically speaking.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#20 Grey Beard

Grey Beard
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Eagletarian @ Apr 14 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CORRECTION.......If you mean The Sheffield Star, it is now a morning paper.........

Well said - our Star arrived 15 minutes before our morning paper today. We are getting a bit pi$$ed off with it and may well decide not to get it (The Star) delivered for much longer.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users