Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

More Stadium News

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Whacky Llama

Whacky Llama
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

More info about Saints move to Widnes and the new stadium.

#2 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Pity they couldn't run to a "roving mike" so we could hear what the questions were.

#3 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Just been down to see the plans & the "virtual tour". Very impressive. If its half as good it will be worth the wait.
Better still Scully was there answering questions & queries on the plans. Eeeh thats todays eye candy sorted wub.gif wub.gif
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#4 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

18,500 is a bit too small a capacity for a great club like St Helens. They will be locking people out for the Wigan and Warrington games, and close to doing the same for Leeds game as well. 20,500 would have been about right.

I hope that they have capacity to add a seating stand above one or both of the planned standing only terraces behind the posts, should my predictions about big game lockouts be proven correct. Revenue from additional seating will pay for itself over time.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 21 July 2010 - 03:18 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,730 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 21 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
18,500 is a bit too small a capacity for a great club like St Helens. They will be locking people out for the Wigan and Warrington games, and close to doing the same for Leeds game as well. 20,500 would have been about right.

I hope that they have capacity to add a seating stand above one or both of the planned standing only terraces behind the posts, should my predictions about big game lockouts be proven correct. Revenue from additional seating will pay for itself over time.

Better to have a stadium almost full week-in, week-out than paying over the odds for one that has lots of empty seats for all bar the biggest games.

Also, don't forget that they need to get planning and safety permissions, I saw one presentation on a ground a few years ago that said that planning permission for 10,000 seats these days is about equivalent to 15,000 in the 1970s due to extra seating space, exit points, toilets and catering facilities, never mind the external impacts of traffic, parking and so on that were far lower in the 1970s.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 21 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
18,500 is a bit too small a capacity for a great club like St Helens.

On what basis have come to this conclusion.

Its larger than the current Saints capacity which is hardly ever tested.

An increase of 2,000 isn't probably viable within the design, its probably something like 18.5k or 23.5k or a completely different design.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 21 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On what basis have come to this conclusion.

The fact that Wigan cann sell out the 25,000 capacity DW/JJB (in effect 22,000 max) when both clubs are firing well.

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 21 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its larger than the current Saints capacity which is hardly ever tested.

An increase of 2,000 isn't probably viable within the design, its probably something like 18.5k or 23.5k or a completely different design.

The current Saints capacity is hardly ever tested because decent fans, especially those with kids, will think twice about going to a dreadful place like Knowsley Road.

On the design issues for an increase, you may be right.

_____

#8 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jul 21 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better to have a stadium almost full week-in, week-out than paying over the odds for one that has lots of empty seats for all bar the biggest games.

Also, don't forget that they need to get planning and safety permissions, I saw one presentation on a ground a few years ago that said that planning permission for 10,000 seats these days is about equivalent to 15,000 in the 1970s due to extra seating space, exit points, toilets and catering facilities, never mind the external impacts of traffic, parking and so on that were far lower in the 1970s.

In general I agree with you.

However once the word gets around that the new Saints stadium is a great place to go to watch rugby league, I am sure that not only the locals, but also the visiting club fans, will be more likely to want to to go.

I could forsee Saints locking out paying fans on the day even when a future successful Bradford, and perhaps even Hull FC and Hull KR play --- as well as the obvious future sellouts for Wigan, Warrington and Leeds. If I am right on that, then it becomes a question of doing the maths on revenues lost or gained.

Until now there has been a disjunction between a great performing rugby league club and their dreadful ground. The new stadium is going to eliminate that disjunction and elevate the Saints brand to a higher level. I just hope that they have calculated correctly on what that will mean in terms of future fan interest.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 21 July 2010 - 04:35 PM.

_____

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 21 2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that Wigan cann sell out the 25,000 capacity DW/JJB (in effect 22,000 max) when both clubs are firing well.

Wigan have always had bigger crowds than Saints, presuming that because Wigan v Saints can get 25,000 in Wigan that Saints can get the same figure is a nonesense

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 21 2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The current Saints capacity is hardly ever tested because decent fans, especially those with kids, will think twice about going to a dreadful place like Knowsley Road.

Done a survey have you of why people don't go to Knowsley Road?

If the new stadium puts 50% on to the Saints average attendance they would still have a capacity of around 2,000 to spare.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

i am sure they have put some thought into the feasability of building a bigger stadium. remember this is a sole use stadium not shared like the KC or Galpharm or DW, it may cost 2 million more to make the extra capacity not worth it for twice a year

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 21 2010, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could forsee Saints locking out paying fans on the day even when a future successful Bradford, and perhaps even Hull FC and Hull KR play

Not if Saints continue to play on Friday nights.

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 Whacky Llama

Whacky Llama
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Big Mac has said that they have gone for quality not quantity, so the money they have saved on making it bigger has been used for better corporate and fan facilities.

It has also let the club do this cool.gif

http://www.sthelenss...g_headquarters/

Probably one of the best weeks in Saints Long History biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users