Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Some Good News Bradford Fans

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the comprehensive report Adeybull - much appreciated.

Can you tell us if the issue of Odsal and the future home of the Bulls was discussed?

Thanks

#22 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

On Sunday, we urged the club to try and get a much more comprehensive summary of the questions and answers at the forum out into the public domain. Previously there has been a short bit, light on detail in the T&A and maybe on the site but little else. This means that unless you went to the forum (and I'm glad more did this time) you won't have realised just how forthcoming the club has been.

And loads of the non-attendees then continue to lambast the club for failure to communicate and engage...

They took this on board. I believe a summary of Q&A is to go up on the Bulls site - when they get the chance to do it - and I feel sure Connor will put up a much more comprehensive summary. if he doesn't, then thats a bit below his normal excellent standards but he's also missing an opportunity for loads of copy for just the price of the time to dictate or type it up.

Don't underestimate the time it might take though - my own notes would take hours to type up, done it once before and I'm sorry but I've more pressing calls on my time!

#23 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Errol Stock @ Aug 5 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the comprehensive report Adeybull - much appreciated.

Can you tell us if the issue of Odsal and the future home of the Bulls was discussed?

Thanks

Yes, but without the benefit of my notes which are at home so this from memory, and have to be brief.

In brief, the OSV has been slowed down because of the change of control on the council and the need for the portfolios to be filled with pinkos rather than blueys, so the first working group (it has a title, but I don't have my notes to hand) is I think they said later this month.

They said they have always been and continue to be realistic. They DID point out that apparently one of the senior council guys had said the council was having to look at cutting maybe 150m from a 450m budget. That was sort of left hanging, but the implication I guess had to be there?

The gist I guess was that its slowed down but should be action and more to report soon.

They went on to make the point that (and I paraphrase) the time for architects drawings and fancy plans and aspirations is rapidly drawing to a close, and needs to be replaced by firm action. You got the clear vibes that we will not be in a strong position with the 2015-17 licence round if nothing has happened.

A question was asked about whether the club was considering moving to VP. This was sort of talked round rather than directly addressed, but they made the point that it would be foolish to rule anything either in or out, on this or in many other areas.

If more is not reported later, I'll check my notes this evening for any key points to add to that.

#24 Bulligerent

Bulligerent
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 5 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed. I had feared a bit of a siege mentality approach, and maybe it could have turned that way had the audience been hostile rather than just desperate for some hope? But I had a pretty good idea they would try and be as open and proactive as possible from recent discussions with them. And my biggest concern, which was how well Peter Hood would engage with a load of concerned and maybe angry fans, proved completely groundless - he had a very good forum, I thought?

I think we got as near as we are likely to to hearing them acknowledge that, with hindsight, they got it wrong on the coaching front and they have learned the hard way - although in fairness they did make the point that at the time Macca was appointed there was a lot going on at once (including Hull being in for him, as they said, and all the financial and board crises, which they did not). But they pretty well held their hands up and said Macca had been given too long a contract, did they not?

They were very much upfront re: the coaching & contract for McNamara and i did send in a question about that very thing i.e. had they given Macca too long; had they tried to find a replacement but been unable to hence his length of stay; were they worried about the long term damage of having potentially lost fans at least for the foreseeable future due to their seeming lack of decisive action on MacNamara?

Although the question wasn't covered directly, in a roundabout way they answered it anyway via the news about the season ticket deal, marketing, length of process to appoint Potter. It is clear they know that McNamara's stay (or should i say extended stay even though it was clear he wasn't up to it) has damaged their relationship with some fans and i know that too from first hand experience as a number of the group i go to games with won't be back next year just as a protest at the handling of the whole sorry saga (unless this season ticket deal they talked about is simply too good to refuse!).

With regard to some of the other bits and pieces, did you Adey, or indeed anyone else who attended pick up on the 'extraordinary circumstances' remark around expenses the club has to meet and the reference to these being out of the way in the next two years (2012 i think i remember was the date mentioned) - i assume this is the Harris payments or am i reading too much into something much more simple than it sounds?

#25 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (Bulligerent @ Aug 5 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With regard to some of the other bits and pieces, did you Adey, or indeed anyone else who attended pick up on the 'extraordinary circumstances' remark around expenses the club has to meet and the reference to these being out of the way in the next two years (2012 i think i remember was the date mentioned) - i assume this is the Harris payments or am i reading too much into something much more simple than it sounds?

Naturally - I was one of the ones trying to fence with Mr Hood regarding the "recession" analogy, and I was the one who asked bluntly when he expected the "recession" to end! To his credit Mr hood parried the thrusts extremely well, mind, but people can judge whether they learned anything of note. I again just have a wry smile on my face...

As for whether he was talking about anything other than the extraordinary costs of the current recession, and the period over which he expected the club's spending ability to be very seriously curtailed by it, well I'm sure people will form their own views. You might suppose he was...I of course could not possibly comment...

#26 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 5 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naturally - I was one of the ones trying to fence with Mr Hood regarding the "recession" analogy, and I was the one who asked bluntly when he expected the "recession" to end! To his credit Mr hood parried the thrusts extremely well, mind, but people can judge whether they learned anything of note. I again just have a wry smile on my face...

As for whether he was talking about anything other than the extraordinary costs of the current recession, and the period over which he expected the club's spending ability to be very seriously curtailed by it, well I'm sure people will form their own views. You might suppose he was...I of course could not possibly comment...

Let's hope we avoid a double dip, eh?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#27 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Aug 5 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was expecting similar to your point by point post from Mick, as he always has time to give a blow by blow account on his mobile from games. Maybe his phone was on the blink and he had no paper and pen,or they were going so fast and he hasn't passed his journalistic shorthand yet - or something else???????

I can't believe you're questioning his attendance - surely you believe he was there

given how mick is always so quick at updating scores from games via his mobile it does seem a remarkable coincidence that he didnt put a post up re: langley resigning until 10:43, approximately 1 minute AFTER I sent him a text message with news, which I found out from a post on t'other forum rolleyes.gif

and then any further posts he put up with details of fans forum only appeared here after said details had already been mentioned on t'other forum by posters who had attended forum.

Although why anyone would feel the need to pretend attendance at such an event is beyond me and obviously not something mick would do. biggrin.gif

#28 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

Will the real slim shady please stand up

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#29 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (Amber Avenger @ Aug 6 2010, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite a few people on here have met Mick to be fair. I can't say I have though

Indeed. And I remain totally open-minded. I gather he has a pretty comprehensive Facebook profile with lots of pictures.

Its just unfortunate that he seemingly failed to show for the Forum, when he professed to have spent ALL the preceding evening (and it would have taken a lot longer than that) travelling round all the large towns of West Yorkshire to gather info on how other clubs were promoting themselves, so he could bring it up at the Forum. And that is quite apart from his - obsession, you might say in the nicest possible way - with being involved in all things Bulls. Yet every time there is a public event people don't see him, and people who have tried to track him down where he says he works say they have struggled. You can understand the scepticism? There are other posters too that fall into that category, and I know there is a general feeling in some quarters that we may be looking at one guy with multiple personas, who in one guise or another has indeed met people. Or it may just be a pseudonym. Either seem perfectly logical scenarios to me, but equally may be miles from the truth.

Given "Mick's" very high profile, it is understandable that folk are curious about who he really is and if indeed he really exists?

Don't think there is any question about whether I exist, given the number of people I spoke to at the forum!

#30 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

I deleted a few posts as they were getting overly personal and revealed far too much about a poster's personal life. No need for some of the information posted to be out there in the public domain. If they choose to publicise it themselves then it's up to them, until then, keep it off the forum.

Also, please get back on topic! I think we've covered enough about Mick.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users