Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The long term goal of expansion: 24 teams in 4 conferences

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

Personally, I won't be satisfied with Rugby Leagues expansion until there is a team on the moon.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#42 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Aug 7 2010, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about someone comes up with a thread on how we get to the situation outlined in the OP?

Where do we get players of sufficient quality from?
How do we ensure the popularity of the game in virgin territories before launching a club there (not forgetting that this club has to strong enough and have sufficient resources/support to compete in a pan-western European League)?
Who is going to finance it????
Especially when our expansion of the pro/semi-pro game in England, France and Wales hasn't been the greatest of successes in recent years.

That's why in my opinion you should expand the game in small radius ie Cumbria & the Midlands to guage the success levels then if good spread agian a little further afield and repeat the process.

Reasons , The game is already played there especially Cumbria, so you already have player & suporters willing to turn up a watch and pay for it.
Its less established in the Midlands but as its very close to the NW they could very easily supplent the players with some hard core NW lads, its easy for visiting fans to get there and home fans would get a derby game of sorts as there nearest clubs will be playing them, if you catch my drift.

Edited by mick wilson, 07 August 2010 - 12:03 AM.

#43 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (mick wilson @ Aug 6 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why in my opinion you should expand the game in small radius ie Cumbria & the Midlands to guage the success levels then if good spread agian a little further afield and repeat the process.

Reasons , The game is already played there especially Cumbria, so you already have player & suporters willing to turn up a watch and pay for it.
Its less established in the Midlands but as its very close to the NW they could very easily supplent the players with some hard core NW lads, its easy for visiting fans to get there and home fans would get a derby game of sorts as there nearest clubs will be playing them, if you catch my drift.

Mick,

According to your reasoning, we should also expand the game within a small radius (2 hour drive) from the established "French" club Les Catalans Dragons to Toulouse, where rugby league is a much bigger sport than it is in the English Midlands. We should also expand it from the established "Catalan" club Les Catalans Dragons, to Spanish Catalan capital Barcelona (2 hour drive). After all we already have a Spanish Catalan amateur rugby league set up.

Do you agree?

Edited by ParisSurtout, 07 August 2010 - 12:30 AM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#44 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 6 2010, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is sort of the way RL should be going in the long term, at least in terms of a conference/expansion for the French teams, which would play UK teams.

However there should be a separate heartland Top-14 with P&R

IMO the French teams need to generate their own cash from satelite services, which would free up all sky money for UK teams. I would expect this to happend once they can get at least 4 fully pro regional clubs playing SL clubs in crossed fixtures.

I also think sky are more likely to up the cash if we have a product like this rather than the usual numptyish "we can only just about manage 14 teams" (usualy spoken by a fan of a top 6 club who is fricken'd dear'th of their poor little Stupid League club having to share more money)

I agree with ost of your comment, but it should be an expanded heartland (with Sheffield and Gateshead) but top 12, otherwise we will have too many heartland clubs to make the game as truly national and international as the public and the sponsors would rally to in numbers.

One problem with promotion and relegation is the inability to buy enough top players, which has hampered the newly promoted clubs during those P & R days of Super League. Until the game becomes fairly rich at two levels (as football is), that problem will persist.
Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#45 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

Saders v Quinns tonight drew a crowd of 1122 angry.gif mad.gif

Not fogetting there recent CC game v Les Cats att 1817, hail to the expansion clubs they offer us soooooooo much.

Edited by mick wilson, 07 August 2010 - 12:46 AM.

#46 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 7 2010, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with ost of your comment, but it should be an expanded heartland (with Sheffield and Gateshead) but top 12, otherwise we will have too many heartland clubs to make the game as truly national and international as the public and the sponsors would rally to in numbers.

One problem with promotion and relegation is the inability to buy enough top players, which has hampered the newly promoted clubs during those P & R days of Super League. Until the game becomes fairly rich at two levels (as football is), that problem will persist.

Yet another complete fallacy.
Leigh were admittedly hampered following promotion, but only due to the fact that the then NFP season ended some time after the SL season of that year, and nearly ALL the quality players that were available had been signed up to contracts by that stage.
The game is only 'rich' at one level thanks to a lack of promotion and relegation. If there was a prospect of top flight rugby league, then more affluent businessmen such as Steve O'Connor and Des Johnston would be likely to put their millions into lower level clubs. FACT.
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#47 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 7 2010, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mick,

According to your reasoning, we should also expand the game within a small radius (2 hour drive) from the established "French" club Les Catalans Dragons to Toulouse, where rugby league is a much bigger sport than it is in the English Midlands. We should also expand it from the established "Catalan" club Les Catalans Dragons, to Spanish Catalan capital Barcelona (2 hour drive). After all we already have a Spanish Catalan amateur rugby league set up.

Do you agree?

NO...........Not until they fully establish themselves 1st.

Cats have a decent fan base but it does get a healthy boost from limeys who fancy a weekend in the sun on the lash but eventually the novelty wears off.

Same with Toulouse who's crowds are crapola.

Midlanders travel already to Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc to watch the game, Cats struggled to take 10 '000 to Wembley for their CC Final cowps sake.

Places like Cumbria are a sleeping giant compared to the french.......have you ever considered where the game would be if in a few yrs of having say 4 0r 5 French teams playing in the UK AND AFTER WHETTING THE fRENCHIES APPITIGHTS FOR THE GAME AGAIN opps sorry they up sticks and jion a euro league WITHOUT UK teams invited just the Spanish & Italians etc.........not saying it WOULD happen only that it COULD.

Where would that leave the UK game.

#48 obsulete

obsulete
  • Coach
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (steef @ Aug 6 2010, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I won't be satisfied with Rugby Leagues expansion until there is a team on the moon.

LMAO love it..

#49 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (mick wilson @ Aug 7 2010, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saders v Quinns tonight drew a crowd of 1122 angry.gif mad.gif

Hardly surprising now is it; How many supporters from either club were going to take probably a whole day off work to make sure they're in Neath, hardly a hotbed of RL, for 6pm? I think they did well to get that many to be honest.

There may well be a very good reason for it being a 6pm kick off but without having seen the reason explained, it just strikes me as a monumentaly stupid decision.

#50 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

North West Conference

Wigan
Saints
Widnes
Warrington
Salford
Crusaders
Barrow
Leigh

Yorkshire Conference

Leeds
Bradford
Huddersfield
Hull FC
Hull KR
Wakefield Tigers
Halifax
South Yorkshire

Southern Conference
Harlequins
Catalans
Tolouse
New London Franchise
South Wales Scorpions
3 French Elite Teams

I think this is a better suggestion although the southern conference is far weaker than the others. Could play each team in own conference 3 times with top 2 from each progressing to play offs. This would make play offs anc CC more attractive as it would be the only time teams played each other from other conferences so fans would take a lot of interest. Could award trophies for winning conference. Far fetched I know especially Conference South and lack of quality players. Nevertheless a better proposal than PSTs

#51 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

As usual PS is on drugs. The French game is buggered to hell, yet PS expects teams in Paris, Lyon, Marseille that are going to have turnover of millions of Euros! Who is going to fund it? Where are the players (SL Quality French players) coming from? Yes 15 years is a long time but not long enough for the French game to change and be able to have 4 French SL Teams.

Gateshead? Gateshead are nothing more than amateurs at the moment and are struggling to even survive. Where is the money and Players coming from to have a SL team?

Sheffield have potential, but I doubt they will be ready for SL for a while, as the crowds are often under 1000 and they have no money. But they have been around for a while and what is important is that a number of amateur clubs are in the near like North Derbyshire, Hillsboro etc

Dublin? Bristol?, N London?, E London? Again where are the players and Money coming from? Who is going to run these teams that have no or next to no amateur presence?

I have no problem with expansion, but please let us be reasonable about it. You cant just set up a Pro club and expect to have success. Any expansion team should build its way up like the South Wales Scorpions. I have no problem that they have 6 or 7 Aussies, but then they must have 10 local players in a squad alongside the odd "Heartlands" player. By having and using the local amateur players as well as experinced Aussies/Heartland players you can build a community club, where locals feel they can relate to it. Hopefully they can get to a point where they can move up to the Championship and then SL. ANY club needs to have a pathway in to the top League. Sticking a club more or less straight in like Crusaders with no solid base is asking for trouble.

The same with a French team they should build from Elite 2 through to Elite 1. Once they are doing well in Elite 1 maybe test themselves in the Championship. But have atleast a stepping stone effect. Rushing a French or Spanish team in to the Championship or SL is not the way for me. Sadly the French game does not have enough Quality for the next 5-10 years to run 2 let alone 4 SL Clubs. Build on and off the field first and see how things are then take the next small step up. Anything more will be too much on and off the field for a club.

#52 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,711 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (steef @ Aug 6 2010, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fervent traditionalist, there should be a conference on the Moon and 10 on the Sun. We should also ban northern teams from playing rugby league as some of their fans are flatcappers who hold the game back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users