Photo
- - - - -

Willie Mason signs for Superleague side.

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Great signing for Hull KR - this is still 2006 right? huh.gif
Posted Image

#42 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 5 2010, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obviously it depends on where you're hiring the taxi. I don't suppose it's the talk of the Bicester taxi ranks regardless of what some Rervers fans think. I usually go by the national newspapers Cliff which will be all about the Euro qualifiers tomorrow with only a couple of inches of Willie if you're lucky wink.gif

I accept that and sympathise but Willie could be made into a bigger story with a higher and wider profile. rolleyes.gif Will have to get on to Bramley Buffaloes Director Rob Wilkinson, creator of famous straplines like !"Amber and Black Fighting Back," and " You'll Buffalove It" recently appointed to work for John Ledger in the RFL Press department. Here in Brid whilst the taxi drivers are obviously fired up for the play-offs this week, the Rervers amongst them are already talking about next season as a result of big Willie. As a result I could be organising a Rervers Taxi Drivers trip to Perpignan next year. Not by taxi of course. Oh I don't know. If we did we could bring back some of the beers from the Cap d'Ona brewery at Argeles-Alberes, not too far away. The only Catalan beer. They have some beauts! biggrin.gif

#43 HullRover

HullRover
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Bob8 @ Sep 6 2010, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would question how widely known Mason is outside rl circles. I certainly doubt that most viewers of QofS would recognise him.

Well...tell me one current Rugby League player who IS recognised outside of RL circles?

Certainly not superstars like Darren Lockyer, Jonathan Thurston, Benji Marshall etc that's for sure - more is the pity!

But, ask someone with a remotely passive interest in RL if they remember "that big, intimidating Aussie who knocked out Fielden with one punch about four years ago" and it's a fair bet they will remember him.

Evidence for this is that Mason's fights with Fielden and Peacock have garnered over one million views on Youtube alone - a staggering amount for Rugby League!

Righltly or wrongly, there is a fascination with him - his is as near to RL 'Box Office' as you will get!

#44 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

I am looking forward to reading the local Hull newspaper headlines sometime in April or May.

"Drunken Rovers players in brawl outside London disco!"

"Rovers star, former teetotaller, arrested for DUI."

"Rovers player was intoxicated while fondling stripper at nightclub."

2011 should be a fun year in East Hull.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 06 September 2010 - 04:57 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#45 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

The headllines in the Australian tabloid newspapers next May will be:

"BIG WILLY PAINTS ENGLAND RED.
Hull coach Morgan frustrated with team discipline since Mason arrived
"

Edited by ParisSurtout, 06 September 2010 - 04:55 PM.

_____

#46 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

It's a pity Cookey's not still there. He could have shown Willie the delights of Crown laugh.gif

rldfsignature.jpg

#47 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 6 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am looking forward to reading the local Hull newspaper headlines sometime in April or May.

"Drunken Rovers players in brawl outside London disco!"

"Rovers star, former teetotaller, arrested for DUI."

"Rovers player was intoxicated while fondling stripper at nightclub."

2011 should be a fun year in East Hull.

You are a fool

#48 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (HullRover @ Sep 6 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well...tell me one current Rugby League player who IS recognised outside of RL circles?

Certainly not superstars like Darren Lockyer, Jonathan Thurston, Benji Marshall etc that's for sure - more is the pity!

But, ask someone with a remotely passive interest in RL if they remember "that big, intimidating Aussie who knocked out Fielden with one punch about four years ago" and it's a fair bet they will remember him.

Evidence for this is that Mason's fights with Fielden and Peacock have garnered over one million views on Youtube alone - a staggering amount for Rugby League!

Righltly or wrongly, there is a fascination with him - his is as near to RL 'Box Office' as you will get!

They MAY remember the incident but you can bet your bottom dollar they couldn't recognise him in a line up or put a name to him.

rldfsignature.jpg

#49 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Brigg Rover @ Sep 6 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are a fool

I am a Sydney Roosters fan. So I know what I am talking about. The first thing that strict disciplinarian coach Brian Smith demanded before he arrived at Bondi Junction was that the club get rid of Willy Mason.

If you really want to know what Willy Mason is like off the pitch, have a chat with the Roosters Brad Fittler, Mitchell Pearce or Nate Myles, or the former Canterbury Bulldogs team members who travelled to an ill fated weekend at Coffs Harbour a few years ago, before you start your ignorant abuse of others about Willy Mason.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 06 September 2010 - 05:19 PM.

_____

#50 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 6 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The headllines in the Australian tabloid newspapers next May will be:

"BIG WILLY PAINTS ENGLAND RED.
Hull coach Morgan frustrated with team discipline since Mason arrived
"

Please see above post

#51 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 6 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a Sydney Roosters fan. So I know what I am talking about. The first thing that strict disciplinarian coach Brian Smith demanded before he arrived at Bondi Junction was that the club get rid of Willy Mason.

If you really want to know what Willy Mason is like off the pitch, have a chat with the Roosters Brad Fittler, Mitchell Pearce or Nate Myles, or the former Canterbury Bulldogs team members who travelled to an ill fated weekend at Coffs Harbour a few years ago, before you start your ignorant abuse of others about Willy Mason.

Yet again hearsay, inuendo and unfounded allegations.

Perhaps you would like to give more specific details of what you know as fact that Mr Mason did at Coffs harbour? I am sure that one or two legal people would like to know.

#52 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 6 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a Sydney Roosters fan. So I know what I am talking about

All you've proven with the diatribe below is that you love good juicy gossip regardless.

The first thing that strict disciplinarian coach Brian Smith demanded before he arrived at Bondi Junction was that the club get rid of Willy Mason.

#53 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Brigg Rover @ Sep 6 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again hearsay, inuendo and unfounded allegations.

Perhaps you would like to give more specific details of what you know as fact that Mr Mason did at Coffs harbour? I am sure that one or two legal people would like to know.

I am not talking about criminal acts (which were never pursued anyway by the local Coffs Harbour prosecutor), but the atmosphere of indiscipline with other players that seems to follow him around wherever he is. Not only Brian Smith, but the Sydney Roosters Board of Directors wanted Mason out after the drunken incidents involving other team members, such as Nate Myles naked and defecating in a hotel stairwell. At the end of last season, though he was still under contract for 2010, the club continued to pay Mason his huge salary and told him not to come to training and to find another club because he wasn't going to be picked to play for the Roosters any more.
He got a lifeline from the struggling Cowboys at the last minute.

30 is not the normal retirement age for a forward in the NRL, especially for one who has played for Australia. It seems that even the North Queensland Cowboys, bottom of the competition, after one season of Big Willy, didn't want him any more either.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 06 September 2010 - 05:45 PM.

_____

#54 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (HullRover @ Sep 6 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, ask someone with a remotely passive interest in RL if they remember "that big, intimidating Aussie who knocked out Fielden with one punch about four years ago" and it's a fair bet they will remember him

People will ask "who the f*** is Stuart Fielden?".

#55 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Attached File  059578_willie_mason.gif   123.28KB   9 downloads

Here's the class act at work.

rldfsignature.jpg

#56 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (JWAD @ Sep 6 2010, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People will ask "who the f*** is Stuart Fielden?".

laugh.gif

The saddest thing about it is that apart from RL fans, that's exactly what most people would say.

#57 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 6 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Attached File  059578_willie_mason.gif   123.28KB   9 downloads

Here's the class act at work.

He was caught and charged for doing this in 2008 and caught and fined for doing it in 2009.

It is conceivable that one night next year he is arrested for doing that on a sidestreet in Hull..... wait a minute, 2010 still has 4 months to go. laugh.gif

Edited by ParisSurtout, 06 September 2010 - 10:07 PM.

_____

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users