An apology

I suppose anyone who doesn't immediately accept that Brittan must be guilty without any actual evidence is thereby guilty of spouting sanctimonious BS.

Nope.  I am very much undecided on whether Brittan was guilty.  It strikes me that at the very least there was a case, or possibly cases, worthy of investigation.  The selective, and forgetful, media outry about that investigation even happening is quite revealing.

Separately to that, Dan Hodges is of a type with other Telegraph writers - Delingpole would be another, Liddle another - whose arrogance blinds them to their own hypocrisies and ignorance.  I wonder if Dan has left the Labour party again this week.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the problems we have in this country is that we go from one extreme to the other.

When Geoffrey Dickens submitted his original file he was dismissed as a bit of a nutter, as was anyone who suggested there might be something in what he was suggesting. It was easy to paint people like that as Mary Whitehouse figures.

We've now gone to the other extreme of believing almost any claims, no matter how crazy they may seem.

Someone wrote down a list of names of people who purportedly visited the Elm Guest House some years ago. It included the names of politicians and pop stars, among others. Some people, including the Exaro news website, swallowed it hook, line and sinker, and others took up the cause.

And yet so far the prosecutions have been minimal and only the Met Police knows whether there is any chance that there will be any.

In the meantime some people have had their reputation trashed.

I do think that the way the Met treated Leon Brittan left an awful lot to be desired.

Some people, including the Exaro news website, swallowed it hook, line and sinker, and others took up the cause.

Norman Tebbit, writing in the Telegraph, for example.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived