Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laminated Lobster

Latest on the Welsh joke

57 posts in this topic

Bob, the RFL advanced Celtic some of their SKY money for 2010. It's not really a question of 'getting it back' as much as getting their money's worth of having a WElsh SL side for at least 2010 and 2011 till their franchises are up for renewal (which will be interesting).

Phil, whilst accepting that 14 is far too any overseas players (just like most SL clubs in fact), they were faced with no option this year. REcruiting six weeks before the start of the season for proven UK based SL players is impossible. Let's see how they do in the future (and 'no better at all' looks the most likely answer).

For the development of WElsh players we should perhaps be looking at South Wales RLFC in CC1 under the control of (maybe) Iestyn Harris.

Whats this 6 weeks? they have been around for nearly 5 years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...ers/8415204.stm

Domestic talent unavailable? Seems like the players don't want to go to Wales.I can't believe they couldn't find any players not signed up who weren't willing to go play there.

14 overseas players is an absolute joke.

I think they probably could find a couple of dozen players who would turn out for them but that way would end up with them getting some terrible thrashings. This wouldn't look good for SL. Far better they employ loads of Aussie journeymen and win the odd game. It can be called a "success" then.

I do find this topic thoroughly depressing, it just confirms what i've believed for a few years. RL at semi professional level is dying. If you look at all the clubs at our level, i think everyone of them (including us) has been on the verge of extinction at one time or other.

Of the SL clubs that i can find the information, most are running with huge debts, maybe manageable but huge all the same.

Thing is Dave, if we (RL outside SL) go under, it will only be a matter of time before the whole game becomes a memory.

Thing is Dave, if we (RL outside SL) go under, it will only be a matter of time before the whole game becomes a memory.

Agreed Robin. When and if the RL heirarchy finally realise the damage they are doing to the game below SL i hope they will reverse the inequalities they have inflicted on us. Rugby league cannot survive as SL only.

Simply put, P+R and all 3 leagues playing under 1 set of rules (overseas players, bonus points etc),

"The more Welsh players that come into the mix, the better it is for Super League. We need to spread the word".

Spread the word.....!!! They have been around long enough know for everyone to know about them. Problem is, nobody can find them 'cos they keep moving. Get 1 fan base started then move to the other end of the country. Where is the inspiration for any potential fan to follow them??

The Super League club will have access to players from new Championship One outfit South Wales, which will act as a feeder club but also have Super League aspirations of their own.

Surprise, surprise. They don't even exist yet but have super league aspirations! No doubt its Tolouse next and then 3 years later its the welsh again.

Stinks, absolutely stinks.

The future is very bleak indeed. Action is needed now or there won't be anything left to act upon.

Edited by sidnee

There's more.The Crusaders are banking on big away crowds, expecting Leeds to take 4000. If the likes of Saints, Wigan, Warrington and even Cas take large numbers they will look like they are being successful in attracting crowds when it will all be on the back of the away fans from the heartlands, the place where the RFL seem to despise.If we had 4000 Leeds fans turning up and due to us being in SL increased our own support we would be playing to a near capacity audience.Instead it looks like we are just sold out.

'Retout added: "This is a massive coup for Wrexham and for North Wales. "It should be good for Wrexham and good for the economy of north Wales.

"For example, we're expecting Leeds Rhinos to bring around 4,000 fans for the first match at the Racecourse on 29 January and make a weekend of it.'

Good for Wrexham? Not the sport of RL.