West Papua (Indonesia)

Yep would be good if West Papuan's could at least get autonomy over there territory and have more say in there own land and affairs. Indonesia not known for the subtle approach East Timor is prime example. In the past Colonialisation of Australia with terra nullius, stolen generation etc and NZ with treaty of waitangi not being upheld & forgotten about until recent generations are also responsible for past injustice to indigenous people. Big difference is this is happening right now in west papua

In the 1960's I was a member of the Freedom for West Papua Movement(more protest than substance!)and while resident in Papua New Guinea was very conscious of the issues in the region. The Vietnam War was in full flow and there had been a communist uprising in Indonesia. The 'Domino Theory' was popular in Australia. I can recall armed border incursions by the Indonesians into what they called East Irian(Papua New Guinea) and the tensions they caused.

Gavin Souter's book 'New Guinea: The Last Unknown' published in the 60's tells why the island should be just one county.

Whether it was an uprising or a putting down of an uprising, the Guardian article  indicates more that a million communist sympathisers were slaughtered in Indonesia - all part of the issues that were going on in that region of which Dutch New Guinea/West Irian was just one.

Whatever, New Guinea -  i.e West Irian and Papua New Guinea - should be one nation.

No different to East & West Germany; North & South Vietnam (remember both of them?) and North & South Korea.

Archived