National disasters and Civil preparedness

The UK is extremely lucky in that whist we have pretty much all the natural phenomenon (apart from volcano's?), we have mild versions of them.  Floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, landslides, forest fires, avalanches, etc yet loss of life is generally low.   Does this mean we have a false sense of security and a general lack of preparedness?  Supermarkets operate on 'just in time' stocking so would we handle a big emergency?  

Flooding in the USA (people trapped in cars for days) and the Italian earthquake has just made me wonder?

Not talking full-on preppers and bushcrafter types with a fully stocked bunker, but more of the 'normal' people?

How would you cope?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

We have had our fair share of floods in recent years, we seem to cope quite well.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The UK is extremely lucky in that whist we have pretty much all the natural phenomenon (apart from volcano's?), we have mild versions of them.  Floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, landslides, forest fires, avalanches, etc yet loss of life is generally low.   Does this mean we have a false sense of security and a general lack of preparedness?  Supermarkets operate on 'just in time' stocking so would we handle a big emergency?  

Flooding in the USA (people trapped in cars for days) and the Italian earthquake has just made me wonder?

Not talking full-on preppers and bushcrafter types with a fully stocked bunker, but more of the 'normal' people?

How would you cope?

We don't really have a false sense of security but a rational one. And given the geography of the UK if some major disaster was to occur we won't have to call upon civil and military defenses from across thousands of miles. Having said that if water or power sources were denied to a very large area for a long time I doubt there is the equipment immediately available to stop hardship.

Archived