Just when I thought I understood something..

Having watched it live at the game and again on telly, with the benefit of being able to study all players involved, I would say the Hull KR players shifted the ball out wide quickly as they thought it would get to Fox quicker than Briscoe could get to him. When the first pass went towards the wing, Briscoe was under the posts. The last passer, Charnley?, should perhaps have tried to put Briscoe in doubt as to whether he was going to pass out wide or bring Fox inside but I genuinely believe he thought Fox had time to score in the corner.

If you get chance to see it again on Sky.com, just watch Briscoe, he follows the ball like an arrow and hits Fox ball n all.

As Barrie Mac stated, the tackle of the decade. :DB)

Edited by Old Frightful
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

...but then Fox could have helped himself by carrying the ball under his outside arm. He could have handed off Briscoe and reached out for the line with the ball. As it was, the ball was trapped against his body by Briscoe's tackle until he was driven out. (apologies if this has been aired before)

Monye was guilty of blowing tries the same way for the Lions in South Africa last year, so it's not just a League failing.

Edited by Mr Sheen

The last passer, Charnley?, should perhaps have tried to put Briscoe in doubt as to whether he was going to pass out wide or bring Fox inside

That's exactly what I meant. It looked like a big mistake to me.

That's exactly what I meant. It looked like a big mistake to me.

But it isn't a mistake, its picking an option.

You can't say what would have happened if they had taken the other option, it may still have been well read/guessed and no try scored.

Its far easier to sit back watch it on telly and claim someone took the wrong option than to be the guy with a split second desision to make.

They obviously believed the quick play to the wing would have opened up enough of a gap between attack and defence to make the try unstoppable as opposed to the other option of trying to commit the defender to a player by allowing the defender to be closer to the ball earlier. Most players would go for the simple let the ball do the work option. What they didn't bargain on was how fast and committed Briscoe would be and how good technically a tackle he would make, wrapping the ball lifting and turning the player and using his momentum to carry the player out.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

it was great defense on the part of briscoe (although not on the part of Hull FC), but it was also a poor finish to what should have been a try.. i put it down to inexperience on the part of charnley and also some ordinary passes from the inside men.. but briscoe deserves the pats on the back for his determination to make that tackle.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk