246?

HolmeKnight

It's in our power though, all it takes is the fans to stick together.

But they won't, most just want to watch a game of rugby without the hassle.

The only way your "method" could work would be for every single fan to desert, the club to fold and a new club to be started as happened with the Knights.   We would lose all credibility.   Over its existence York City Knights has been a good product: great in the community and well thought of in the RL world.   Despite present difficulties, who would want the uncertainty, time, hassle and expense of starting another new club which might or might be accepted?

The only way your "method" could work would be for every single fan to desert, the club to fold and a new club to be started as happened with the Knights.   We would lose all credibility.   Over its existence York City Knights has been a good product: great in the community and well thought of in the RL world.   Despite present difficulties, who would want the uncertainty, time, hassle and expense of starting another new club which might or might be accepted?

So what do you suggest then? Keep going and putting money into the club, go home and away every week, buy merchandise, try and encourage our friends and their kids down to games, help get sponsors on board as well as sponsoring the club myself and do professional quality work for free? Tried that, look what thanks I got.

If everyone keeps doing what they are doing we'll get no-where other than a League 1 team on the field and crowds of 700 at best. 

I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere if that's the level of the club's ambition to be honest, I'm bored of having no hope and being fed up as I have been after 75% of matches since the end of 2005.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

So what do you suggest then? Keep going and putting money into the club, go home and away every week, buy merchandise, try and encourage our friends and their kids down to games, help get sponsors on board as well as sponsoring the club myself and do professional quality work for free? Tried that, look what thanks I got.

If everyone keeps doing what they are doing we'll get no-where other than a League 1 team on the field and crowds of 700 at best. 

I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere if that's the level of the club's ambition to be honest, I'm bored of having no hope and being fed up as I have been after 75% of matches since the end of 2005.

To be honest, that doesn't sound too bad to me.   I just like to see the club competitive in its division, winning more matches than it loses and providing good entertainment, which the current squad certainly does.   There are good clubs in this division;  Newcastle, Keighley, Rochdale, to name a few.

If you've been fed up since 2005, I suggest you should have moved your support to a Super League club some time ago.   I don't mind if we're not big enough to operate at that level.   It's like saying York City should be in the Premier League.   It's not going to happen.

However, I can't help contrasting your negativity with James Ford's talk in the Press of the club's "potential".   An insider like the Head Coach is surely better placed to make a judgment on the club's prospects, knowing the exciting young players at his disposal.

I shall be at Kingston Park tonight, cheering the lads on.

To be honest, that doesn't sound too bad to me.   I just like to see the club competitive in its division, winning more matches than it loses and providing good entertainment, which the current squad certainly does.   There are good clubs in this division;  Newcastle, Keighley, Rochdale, to name a few.

If you've been fed up since 2005, I suggest you should have moved your support to a Super League club some time ago.   I don't mind if we're not big enough to operate at that level.   It's like saying York City should be in the Premier League.   It's not going to happen.

However, I can't help contrasting your negativity with James Ford's talk in the Press of the club's "potential".   An insider like the Head Coach is surely better placed to make a judgment on the club's prospects, knowing the exciting young players at his disposal.

I shall be at Kingston Park tonight, cheering the lads on.

Some might see it as negativity, some might see it as being a realist and telling it as 90% of people who love Rugby League see it.

The club has got the potential to be in Super League in the new stadium with the right leadership, you saying "it's not going to happen" is far more negative than me having a chunter about the idiot who's ruining the club.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

I admire your ambition.   If it's achievable you should go for it.    When I started supporting the two York clubs as a teenager I had similar aspirations for them.   However, after 50 years, having seen lots of missed or unfulfilled opportunities, I think you tend to modify your expectations a bit.  This is what I see as realism.

The point is there is someone out there that wants to make us more than an average club, that wants us to play in york, in a proper stadium

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

I'd personally like to see a York team doing well in the Championship level with some good local players. That's fine for me.

The worry with "playing the dream" in Super League is that you end up with lots of overpaid over ageing Australians. Cos you'll find that's what happens when you have too much money to spend, the cash coming from the media gods that rule the game and have ruined it all at the same time.  Mercenary players will just suck money out of the club. Do you really think we'd attract a team to compete well. Have you not noticed the same clubs challenge year after year and the same teams struggle along. 

Maybe some of us are at an age that makes us happy with what what we have. Maybe we remember when sport was just sport and not primarily a business. The good old days , sorry if you're not old enough to remember those days. Some people aren't as happy and that's the way of life. However , sometime the message comes across that we have to agree with you or are stupid for disagreeing.  

There are ways of saying things and unfortunately the "clever" responses sometimes given are just divisive. We all know there are two tiers of fans on here , those in the know and those who aren't.  Unless you talk to the "not in the know people" as equals you will only lose their respect.

I will say though that something does need to happen to bring along a next generation fan base cos there are fewer and fewer young fans. So in that sense I can see why you say there is a need for change, not sure that a new owner would change that or not.  Have the football attendances gone skywards since the McGills have been in charge. I dont follow football much (that'll be due to the fact it's no longer primarily a sport ) ,however  I do know York aren't doing that well .

We're not competing in this league, and not through lack want or trying.

Whereas if we had an owner with ambition, the team would be happier and play better.

Last night, it really looked like nobody could be bothered anymore. A "whats the point" attitude. Can't blame them at all when the owner sods off on holiday for 6 weeks leaving nowhere to play or train.

I genuinely "support the lads", every man woman and child that makes a game - and I want better for them than this shower of sh ite they're being run by.

When stalwarts like Rammo, Bomber, kirby are jacking it in after all those years of selfless service, it shows something is seriously wrong.

Aside: I've never rated waterman. Lazy. Only enters tackles once they're nearly complete, only runs if he thinks he can score. Like having tommy haughy back tbh.

John Guildford of York City Knights - What a guy!

Our club, Our city, Our choice. #GuildfordOut

You're right that such departures don't paint a picture of happiness and harmony and I'm happy to agree that whoever plays deserves a better support from the owner. It's a dangerous game to play less thaan wholeheartedly as that's when lots of injuries can occur. But you're probably right in most what you say above, you see we're on the same side after all. 

The point is there is someone out there that wants to make us more than an average club, that wants us to play in york, in a proper stadium

I'm sure there is no disagreement at all that we need a new owner.   The only question is:  how can it be achieved?

For those of us without inside knowledge, would "someone out there" be Jason McGill or a third party?

It does seem to be a constant battle to keep York City afloat with a hardcore support of around 3000.   Of course, that's far more than the Knights ever get.   I can remember times in the 70s when City had less than 2000 and York RL were getting a steady 4000 at Clarence Street.

Archived