No RL coverage below the Midlands

Over the last few months I have noticed that it is virtually impossible to find any Rugby League coverage in the national media. Not so long ago on the sports topic pages on rugby union there was a line below stating RL and while the coverage wasn't great, at least there was some news This was in the Telegraph and Mail on line, this as disappeared, and even on other sports pages  RL does not figure. I have followed the other nationals, and the Express does not cover it, and this seems to be followed by the Sun and Mirror. I haven't cited the Independent because in the South it has never covered League.

Although the Union World Cup is in the early stages, it is having excellent coverage. Even Sporting Life the other week had Bradford Bulls down as Bradford Bells. Is there a method where it is possible to get on to northern editions of our nationals to be able to read some coverage of rugby League? Also what happened to rugby league news appeared following some rugby league fans 'picketing' the offices of national papers in London. Promises were made that coverage of League would appear-sadly none appears.

Over the last few months I have noticed that it is virtually impossible to find any Rugby League coverage in the national media. Not so long ago on the sports topic pages on rugby union there was a line below stating RL and while the coverage wasn't great, at least there was some news This was in the Telegraph and Mail on line, this as disappeared, and even on other sports pages  RL does not figure. I have followed the other nationals, and the Express does not cover it, and this seems to be followed by the Sun and Mirror. I haven't cited the Independent because in the South it has never covered League.

Although the Union World Cup is in the early stages, it is having excellent coverage. Even Sporting Life the other week had Bradford Bulls down as Bradford Bells. Is there a method where it is possible to get on to northern editions of our nationals to be able to read some coverage of rugby League? Also what happened to rugby league news appeared following some rugby league fans 'picketing' the offices of national papers in London. Promises were made that coverage of League would appear-sadly none appears.

Is this printed papers or their websites? The print output gets less and less relevant every year.

The Independent used to be one of the better papers for RL (when Dave Hadfield was a full-time member of their sports staff), but have been backsliding for years, culminating in Mike Calvin's offensive rant about the CC final a few years ago.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I noticed the Daily Mail has very recently removed the RL tab from its online site leaving an empty space for ...nothing. 

They have removed the RL link, but they still have a Rugby League section, and it's actually quite good compared to many other UK papers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are already at the thin end of the wedge though. 

I think we've moved a fair distance beyond the thin end already.

RL articles on all media outlets need traffic and comments, or the people running them will assume there's no interest.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not so long ago I could buy a morning paper, and read reports of the weekend Super League matches, this stopped a few months ago, and all we get now are the results,  try scorers' and attendance. That is on results page. I have become so paranoid about coverage, I wondered if web sites for papers had a special code for northern league supporters. Apparently you are getting the same poor coverage on their web sites as I receive, ah well back to the usual top coverage of golf etc.

It's definitely getting worse from it's very poor levels before. There are sports that are getting coverage that never used to- cycling, womens football, Paralympics to name a few. We are getting squeezed out of the national consciousness.

Thank goodness for the BBC, I know they're not perfect but at least they ensure we get a national platform now and again.

errr.........is it scaramanga?

Archived