Other Canadian cities...

May as well start preparing now for a Montreal team in SL

Why?? I want this to succeed but Toronto haven't even kicked a ball in league 1 yet and we're talking about them winning super league and having a rivalry with Montreal. I've seen this movie a hundred times before with Paris, London, crusaders, Gateshead etc. let's just let Toronto go about it quietly before building them and any other Canadian city up for a fall.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manfred Mann, on 03 May 2016 - 01:21 AM, said:snapback.png

Brian Carney.

Michael Cleary (South Sydney 1960s).

John Brass.(Eastern Suburbs 1970s)

Dick Thornett (Parramatta 1960s)

I'll give you Carney.

The rest are from a completely different era. I know RL was full time in Australia a lot earlier than over here, but they didn't train like they do now.

Carney is probably the most successful late-comer to the game.

RU was amateur in that different era too, then the pool of Union converts dried up when that ended.  That said there's a huge pool of athletes with transferable skills in Canada and the US: gridiron players, especially those who've played defense.  Defensive players already know how to tackle and adjust to what the other team does with the ball, they should be able to adjust their defensive style to the techniques and patterns of RL.  They should be able to learn the offensive part of the game without too much trouble too.

RU was amateur in that different era too, then the pool of Union converts dried up when that ended. That said there's a huge pool of athletes with transferable skills in Canada and the US: gridiron players, especially those who've played defense. Defensive players already know how to tackle and adjust to what the other team does with the ball, they should be able to adjust their defensive style to the techniques and patterns of RL. They should be able to learn the offensive part of the game without too much trouble too.

They should be able to to an ok standard, but not to an elite standard. Very very rarely do players come from another sport at full time elite level with absolutely no experience in rugby league and succeed in it. It's not really a good strategy to the top.
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

May as well start preparing now for a Montreal team in SL

Sounds good to me!

T O  v  Wolfpack, think I might get a house near Toulouse next! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived