Balls (Merged Threads)

On 1/6/2019 at 6:16 PM, M j M said:

They were introduced at the RLWC 2000 I think, certainly were used at that event. A quick google indicates there are versions with both the old and 'new' versions of the SL logo (God it looks like it's been around 15 years since that change happened, seems like just a couple of years ago) so looks like they may have stuck around for at least a couple of SL seasons -

image.png.c5f9f3cf45565ebbed596bedd31dbbc1.png

image.png.e91c2134520cf7973066f536d7e989ee.png

I remember them at the 2000 World Cup now that you mention it, but my memory was probably relying on the Challenge Cup and NFP in 2001 using four panel Mitre balls. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if memory serves correct Halifax were one of the first RL clubs to use the Gilbert ball around 89/90, didn't seem as good in flight as the Mitre at the time but that could have been down to the height and slope at Thrum Hall, seemed like slogging up a 1/3 gradient getting out of the scorebord corner on a kick return.

Archived