Mick Murphy

Wakefield Ram

12 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Read on the main forum he has passed away. Remembering him playing a few games for us in the late 1970s(?)

One game I believe, an infamous Challenge Cup exit against Oldham.

Nice bloke mind and a sad loss.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

39 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Was it just the one game? Remember it though, Oldham thrashing us in the Challenge Cup.

Yes. I remember talking with Mick about it at a Huddersfield players' do many years ago. Until I mentioned it to him he had completely forgotten that he had ever played for us; when he did recall it he was incedulous and dismayed in equal measure.

He had retired from RL about three years earlier and had a pub somewhere in Cumbria, and played a bit of RU for the veterans up there. We were really struggling at the time and our coach (Alan Lockwood, I think) was a friend of Mick's and, over a few drinks, or more than a few, Mick agreed to turn out for us in the CC game. There was a great fanfare in the Reporter about the ex-international saviour joining us but it was a complete flop: he was badly unfit and the team was very poor at the time. We got thrashed 2-24 and Mick scooted off back to his pub, and who would blame him?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived