Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fcl

No TV for the Dracs?

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If the broadcaster says we'll pay broadcast rights only for two French teams do you think SL will accept the offer? 

If the money and, just as importantly, the contract length are right then yes they will and indeed should.

Add Toronto or AN Other to the mix and it's a 14 team SL with little or no cut in central funding to the existing English clubs.

26 regular rounds plus Magic weekend, one less home game than at present so just cut Easter down to one round over 4/5 days and televise a game day to keep Sky happy.

Tolouse & Catalans could play their Magic weekend game as a standalone somewhere in France/Spain, makes the weekend both more profitable and promotional for everyone.

• Like 7

If Catalans aren't contributing to the TV money, shouldn't they be cut from Sky funding? They need to find their own income, just like Toronto would (if they get promoted)?

8 hours ago, ojx said:

If Catalans aren't contributing to the TV money, shouldn't they be cut from Sky funding? They need to find their own income, just like Toronto would (if they get promoted)?

No. Catalans add to the overall vibrancy of the competition which is attractive for Sky to cover. If we replace them with a small club from the North that will be no more valuable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

No. Catalans add to the overall vibrancy of the competition which is attractive for Sky to cover. If we replace them with a small club from the North that will be no more valuable.

I can't tell if they're not listening, don't understand or don't want to hear but they're not getting it, whatever it is.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

If the broadcaster says we'll pay broadcast rights only for two French teams do you think SL will accept the offer? 

They would be stupid not to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ojx said:

??

Are you suggesting a SL club doesn't contribute to playing SL games?

Do Wigan or Leeds arrange a TV contract seperate to sky?

Why should they find their own tv deal when no one else does?

If they don't get Sky money and they make the final, can they tell sky they cant televise the GF as their tv rights are elsewhere? Like boxers who can't arrange fights due to conflicting tv deals!

What if Catalan get a TV deal equal to the sky one? They would then have 50% of the tv income with each other club getting 4.5% each

Edited by yipyee

12 hours ago, ojx said:

Catalans are contributing more than Wakefield, Huddersfield and Salford.

Would the value of the Sky contract go down without those three clubs? No

Would the value of the Sky contract go down without Catalans? Yes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Catalans are contributing more than Wakefield, Huddersfield and Salford.

Would the value of the Sky contract go down without those three clubs? No

Would the value of the Sky contract go down without Catalans? Yes

What evidence have you got for saying that? Sky don't sell subscriptions in France. They do in Wakefield, Huddersfield and Salford. Sky only show the Saturday games because they are supplied the feed for next to nothing. They won't cover any of the Perpignan games off their own bat. 

Now, just to be clear, I'm not arguing that Cats should be kicked out of SL. They bring things to the competition that those other clubs mostly don't: namely one of the strongest revenue generating commercial operations in the league and they are the lynchpin of the French player development pipeline. Both of those things benefit the competition as a whole.

But adding value to the Sky contract by just existing is not one of them. I don't belive many people in England decide to buy a Sky rugby league subscription because of some sort of exotic attraction from Cats being in the completion so it doesn't make any narrow difference to Sky if they're there. 

There's going to be some difficult decisions to make for the sport in the next few years and we need to be clear and accurate about the pros and cons of what each club brings. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

What evidence have you got for saying that? Sky don't sell subscriptions in France. They do in Wakefield, Huddersfield and Salford. Sky only show the Saturday games because they are supplied the feed for next to nothing. They won't cover any of the Perpignan games off their own bat. 

Now, just to be clear, I'm not arguing that Cats should be kicked out of SL. They bring things to the competition that those other clubs mostly don't: namely one of the strongest revenue generating commercial operations in the league and they are the lynchpin of the French player development pipeline. Both of those things benefit the competition as a whole.

But adding value to the Sky contract by just existing is not one of them. I don't belive many people in England decide to buy a Sky rugby league subscription because of some sort of exotic attraction from Cats being in the completion so it doesn't make any narrow difference to Sky if they're there. 

There's going to be some difficult decisions to make for the sport in the next few years and we need to be clear and accurate about the pros and cons of what each club brings. 

Do they sell more(or considerably more) in hudds, wakefield etc because of the participation of those clubs?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Do they sell more(or considerably more) in hudds, wakefield etc because of the participation of those clubs?

Well, more than zero, so yes. 

Like I said, I'm not doubting Cats' value to the competition as a whole, even if the Perpignan games stop being televised. 

I'm just responding to the comments that Cats bring more value to the Sky contract that domestic clubs do. Can't see any evidence of that.