Super 9s in the UK - what to do with it?

What to do with the 9s concept in the UK?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Develop a tournament for it over here
    • Leave it to the Aussies

It's a club tournament in place of Magic mid-season in the hope you get some sun in my view.  And, if it takes off, more international tournaments.  But it's more of a fun variant of the game than an alternative to the 13 a side.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair comments there I think.

To have a brief AOB on the cricket, I do think 20/20 has had an adverse effect on some aspects of batting as it’s clear certain techniques are better for the IPL and monetary considerations for a young batsmen.

Bringing it swiftly back to RL, would you fear a similar situation evolving if 9s proved a popular format with fans (and the crowds aren’t reflecting that yet)?

I would look at what has happened with 7's at RU. A completely different sport with different participants and, in particular, different audiences has developed. My fear is of RL disappearing altogether in the Northern Hemisphere with or without 9's. That should be the focus of our governing bodies - the cake, not the icing.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived