Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

Super 9s in the UK - what to do with it?

What to do with the 9s concept in the UK?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Develop a tournament for it over here
    • Leave it to the Aussies

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes I did watch some of it, but not all. It was mildly entertaining but not my personal cup of tea: a bit like comparing cricket 20/20 with test matches - the field and equipment is the same but the game and strategy is quite different. Maybe if I were 50 years younger it might appeal more.

Fair comments there I think.

To have a brief AOB on the cricket, I do think 20/20 has had an adverse effect on some aspects of batting as it’s clear certain techniques are better for the IPL and monetary considerations for a young batsmen.

Bringing it swiftly back to RL, would you fear a similar situation evolving if 9s proved a popular format with fans (and the crowds aren’t reflecting that yet)?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Must admit, I’d never seen a 9s game before until last Friday.

I think there’s something there to be honest as I found myself unexpectedly glued to the action despite previous cynicism.

If you get chance I would try and find some highlights and then make your own mind up.

All fair comments.  If our league programme would / could fit in a tournament then it might be properly promoted. 

However ...

it would take about 2 weeks for an International tournament, full of teams, to arrive, prepare and play... all for 2 days then go home. Sensible?

Domestic tournament virtually ditto... it would have to take a week out of the season.  How fascinating would a domestic tourney be?  It would just be juniors.  An expensive blip on the season. The season is already too long.

The criticism of our 9s team availability misses out the crowded events that limited our selections... We had first choice players in place who were playing Tests. We also had a Knights squad at home.   9s were bottom of the pile. 

Frankly it is not important and does not make money.

24 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

All fair comments.  If our league programme would / could fit in a tournament then it might be properly promoted. 

However ...

it would take about 2 weeks for an International tournament, full of teams, to arrive, prepare and play... all for 2 days then go home. Sensible?

Domestic tournament virtually ditto... it would have to take a week out of the season.  How fascinating would a domestic tourney be?  It would just be juniors.  An expensive blip on the season. The season is already too long.

The criticism of our 9s team availability misses out the crowded events that limited our selections... We had first choice players in place who were playing Tests. We also had a Knights squad at home.   9s were bottom of the pile. 

Frankly it is not important and does not make money.

You make some good points I feel, but I’d like to have a go at responding anyway.

I believe the upcoming World Cup in 2021 is the next big opportunity to play an international 9s World Cup in the U.K. although it’s not without issues too surrounding the timing (before or after?)

A domestic 9s in the U.K. would need the credibility and availability of well known players to at least pull in the regulars - probably the reality is broadcasters and sponsors would want this aspect too

I agree the season is too long already so you’d have to make a sacrifice of two SL games possibly, but yes it would have to stack up financially.  There is almost a ‘chicken and egg’ aspect to starting something new like this - do you speculate to accumulate on this or elsewhere, or do you take the safe route and sit tight hoping your other initiatives drive growth.

I do think it could be important as a showcase of the sport, but I would agree with you that at the moment it is not making money or attracting big crowds.  The failure of the latter needs to be analysed and understood - that’s crucial.

Pre-season club 9s in Gran Canaria to kick of the season, if possible the same time as the NRL 9s

International 9s during the rep weekend in England mid season

International 9s in south of France the week after the GFs

International 9s in perth two weeks later

International 9s in auckland the week after. 

That gives you a basis for a circuit. It doesnt put additional demands on the same players as they cant play both 9s and other rep rugby at the same time. 

Then as the game grows and more countries want to host, we add more to the circuit. Most other places who would want to host a comp would be able to do so in the NH Autumn/winter SH summer.

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You make some good points I feel, but I’d like to have a go at responding anyway.

I believe the upcoming World Cup in 2021 is the next big opportunity to play an international 9s World Cup in the U.K. although it’s not without issues too surrounding the timing (before or after?)

A domestic 9s in the U.K. would need the credibility and availability of well known players to at least pull in the regulars - probably the reality is broadcasters and sponsors would want this aspect too

I agree the season is too long already so you’d have to make a sacrifice of two SL games possibly, but yes it would have to stack up financially.  There is almost a ‘chicken and egg’ aspect to starting something new like this - do you speculate to accumulate on this or elsewhere, or do you take the safe route and sit tight hoping your other initiatives drive growth.

I do think it could be important as a showcase of the sport, but I would agree with you that at the moment it is not making money or attracting big crowds.  The failure of the latter needs to be analysed and understood - that’s crucial.

I do not see how you accumulate, for what purpose does it lead to? 9s is not rugby so why bother with it?  The speculation leads to losses.  For kids, ladies and as training, development it's interesting.

I suppose there may be an analogy for some with 20/20 cricket (?). If so it's misplaced. That game is bast3rdised by it's format and  by it's use of the white ball.  England's Roy, as an example, was great with the white ball, but rubbish with the red. (Roy, btw, is from SA... just to cross-over with another thread!)

To expand, in my own turn...  to be really innovative and maybe profitable (and revolutionary) I suggest a 11s competition. Remove the 13 and a centre. Run it in the Reserves as a start. Use it after that in the CC if it works.  But really various options for the layout of the competition. 60 minutes, 4 quarters. Stop the clock in betwen scrums and ball in touch. Time  to get a quick half in between.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Pre-season club 9s in Gran Canaria to kick of the season, if possible the same time as the NRL 9s

International 9s during the rep weekend in England mid season

International 9s in south of France the week after the GFs

International 9s in perth two weeks later

International 9s in auckland the week after. 

That gives you a basis for a circuit. It doesnt put additional demands on the same players as they cant play both 9s and other rep rugby at the same time. 

Then as the game grows and more countries want to host, we add more to the circuit. Most other places who would want to host a comp would be able to do so in the NH Autumn/winter SH summer.

"more" countries will want to host...

Like PNG maybe?

It's a club tournament in place of Magic mid-season in the hope you get some sun in my view.  And, if it takes off, more international tournaments.  But it's more of a fun variant of the game than an alternative to the 13 a side.

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

"more" countries will want to host...

Like PNG maybe?

Well, PNG is a country and isnt mentioned so it would fall under the category of "more countries"

19 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair comments there I think.

To have a brief AOB on the cricket, I do think 20/20 has had an adverse effect on some aspects of batting as it’s clear certain techniques are better for the IPL and monetary considerations for a young batsmen.

Bringing it swiftly back to RL, would you fear a similar situation evolving if 9s proved a popular format with fans (and the crowds aren’t reflecting that yet)?

I would look at what has happened with 7's at RU. A completely different sport with different participants and, in particular, different audiences has developed. My fear is of RL disappearing altogether in the Northern Hemisphere with or without 9's. That should be the focus of our governing bodies - the cake, not the icing.

• Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.