Q and NSW Cup Attendances

The crowd figures aren't collected in any one place and, if they were, they would be confusing. Firstly, the NSW Cup only gets hundreds, like maybe 200-300 at some games. Also, since most NSW Cup teams are a direct Reserve Grade for a NRL team,nobody cares too much about the attendances. The purpose of the game is match practice for spare squad members and young rising players. Thirdly, in some cases, the NSW Cup game is played as the curtain-raiser for the NRL game, as in Newcastle. Did those people go to the NSW Cup game? or just arrive early for the NRL game?

Q Cup is a different story since most teams have no direct NRL counterpart and crowds are bigger because, unlike Sydney where most of the NSW Cup is based, that Q Cup game is the only big game that weekend. Even so, the match reports on Qrl site never include crowd numbers.

QRL generally number in the (high) 100s and occasionally more than 1000 ((my estimates, not official) at least for teams in SE Queensland (I have yet to go to games in Central and North Queensland). However it is difficult knowing how many are paying fans and how many players and officials from the lower grade games played reior to the QRL games. All teams have affiliations with NRL teams but with only the occasional game played  as a warm up to an NRL fixture, they are played on 'original' QRL grounds with good local atmosphere (and leagues clubs on site usually with plenty of club history on the walls) and a full day of rugby with reserves, youth and womens games usually on the card.

I like to think you can 'smell the history' on some of those grounds with the chook pen at Wynnum Manly and the Hill at Norths Albert Bishop Park as examples.  I tend to think its rugby league 'as it used to be' before the corporatisation of the game.. And its usually no more than  $10 entry with discounts galore  (eg Burleigh and Tweed heads have free entry for Titans members) and reasonably priced beer and food.  Its a great day out .

Of course The PNG hunters will be a different kettle of fish altogether.  I believe they get big crowds for their games..

Archived