TRL Helpdesk: UK break ideas

On 08/09/2020 at 21:53, gazza77 said:

I'd be more inclined to stay in Robin Hood's Bay tbh if over that way, I've always preferred it to Whitby. 

Or, if you can find somewhere, Runswick Bay. 

It's great fun taking someone there for the first time, by car - they need to be in the front passenger seat - and entering the main car park.  For a split second, on the first occasion you experience it, it seems as though you have driven over the cliff edge!

On 07/09/2020 at 21:44, gazza77 said:

A week off in a couple of weeks, so time to start looking for somewhere to go. 

Ideally within 3 hrs/150 miles max of home (Hebden Bridge), open to any ideas of city or countryside breaks, from location suggestions to specific accommodation recommendations. We're desperate to get away, but completely uninspired as to where! 

Most suggestions so far seem to have been about going to places in an arc from north-west to north-east of Hebden Bridge.

I worked for over three years in the East Midlands and concluded that Rutland was an easily overlooked gem.  It has lovely small market towns such as Oakham and Uppingham, Rutland Water has something for everybody (though the nesting ospreys may be on their way south by now) and delightful villages, with a predominant use of a gentle stonework, rather reminiscent of Cotswold stone.

Indeed, it's a bit like the Cotswolds without the cost and pretension (OK, that's a bit unfair and I do like the Cotswolds!)

On 12/09/2020 at 11:38, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Most suggestions so far seem to have been about going to places in an arc from north-west to north-east of Hebden Bridge.

I worked for over three years in the East Midlands and concluded that Rutland was an easily overlooked gem.  It has lovely small market towns such as Oakham and Uppingham, Rutland Water has something for everybody (though the nesting ospreys may be on their way south by now) and delightful villages, with a predominant use of a gentle stonework, rather reminiscent of Cotswold stone.

Indeed, it's a bit like the Cotswolds without the cost and pretension (OK, that's a bit unfair and I do like the Cotswolds!)

Hotel booked adjacent to Rutland Water. Hopefully do a bit of walking and unwind for a few days. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived