U15s match in London

I posted this on the main section as I thought it’s great news but for the first time ever there was a u15 girl's RL game in London over the weekend between Skolars and Elmbridge. Now isn't that great? Congratulations to all involved. Details here: https://elmbridgerl.com

There are 11 players in the picture Elmbridge have posted of their team, so I`m guessing this is 9-a-side, 2 on the interchange.

All of the junior girls RL in Auckland from 12s through to 18s is nines. Which makes sense. Let the players concentrate on running and passing in lots of space rather than congested smashing into each other.

I noticed in the Eagles YouTube video the younger ones wearing tags. League Tag is a good way to quickly build their participation numbers.

A related point that I`m a bit hazy about. - A few years ago I saw some coverage of girls RL in schools in the South. It was one of those stories where you feared, once clicked on, it would turn out to be Union. But it was definitely League. There was a school in Kent featured.

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There are 11 players in the picture Elmbridge have posted of their team, so I`m guessing this is 9-a-side, 2 on the interchange.

All of the junior girls RL in Auckland from 12s through to 18s is nines. Which makes sense. Let the players concentrate on running and passing in lots of space rather than congested smashing into each other.

I noticed in the Eagles YouTube video the younger ones wearing tags. League Tag is a good way to quickly build their participation numbers.

A related point that I`m a bit hazy about. - A few years ago I saw some coverage of girls RL in schools in the South. It was one of those stories where you feared, once clicked on, it would turn out to be Union. But it was definitely League. There was a school in Kent featured.

When I was involved in schools coaching in 1990s both sexes played in same team (albeit this was at under 11/12 maximum). There was no provision for girl only teams at that time. Somewhere in the archive is an interview on either Southern TV or Meridian (can't remember exact year) of two girls at what is now called Elmbridge who were playing and training beside the boys. IIRC Queens School in Kew was also featured on TV and in papers about their team (usual unlikely location/sport angle but it was publicity - their team was sponsored by Readers Digest!)

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Archived