An interesting thread on FB caught my attention.

Should NRLW be opened up to every NRL club to participate.

When the Sharks we’re not selected, considering the club is a trailblazer in the women’s full contact version, it put a lot of the locals noses out, me included.

I would also argue that whilst the Tarsha Gale Cup can proceed with the existing NSWRL clubs, perhaps the NRLW should not have included a single NRL club at all and been their own individual franchises. I mean we always hear that if RL was starting from scratch today, it wouldn’t be mapping out in the same way as it is today.

There`s dissonance in wanting the NRLW "opened up" and deprecating the unplanned evolution of the men`s game. Strategy is the central responsibility of the governing body. For which there`s greater opportunity in the case of NRLW.

It was a surprise to me in 2018 that the NRL went for the Dragons over the Sharks and the Roosters over the Rabbitohs. However, it was the Illawarra side of the joint venture and the Roosters` Central Coast reach which respectively tipped the balance in their favour.

This year`s 6 look to have the geographic balance about right. Medium term, we need the Warriors back and one of Melbourne/Canberra/NQ for a strong 8 team comp with the widest viable compass. I wouldn`t be thinking beyond that for the foreseeable future.

Assuming the NRLW can go ahead this year amid the terrifying Covid apocalypse in NSW, the Knights are shaping as the weak link. Unlike Parra, they haven`t been able to prise their star local products away from established franchises. They provisionally signed a large number of Kiwis, which has now run into difficulties for obvious reasons.

On the subject of under-19s, Ipswich Jets and Norths Devils have recently committed to fielding teams, so the QLD under-19s comp is moving towards rivalling the Tarsha Gale. As far as I`m aware, Redcliffe don`t have a female team in any grade. If there`s one club who could afford it, they could. Too preoccupied with their men`s NRL bid.

On 15/08/2021 at 09:04, Sports Prophet said:

An interesting thread on FB caught my attention.

Should NRLW be opened up to every NRL club to participate.

When the Sharks we’re not selected, considering the club is a trailblazer in the women’s full contact version, it put a lot of the locals noses out, me included.

I would also argue that whilst the Tarsha Gale Cup can proceed with the existing NSWRL clubs, perhaps the NRLW should not have included a single NRL club at all and been their own individual franchises. I mean we always hear that if RL was starting from scratch today, it wouldn’t be mapping out in the same way as it is today.

Damn good points raised there Sports Prophet

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

Archived