Fri 20 Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/21 at 19:15

21 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

There isn’t much wrong at Wigan that a good coach can’t fix. There are a few other things that need looking at:

- we spend far too much on player development and community activities. The first team is all that matters. We have around 40 staff doing things like supporting other teams and going round trying to get people to play. That’s not our job. Picking all these home grown players is a waste of time and effort - if they are good they will get picked off in any case;

I honestly can't tell if you are being ironic or not, but if you aren't then you need to give your head a wobble.

I've seen first hand the community stuff that Wigan do in the area, and it is outstanding. Many of the kids who take part in these initiatives are from deprived families and the club is the only place that educates them, keeps them fit and in many cases even feeds them. Its the only place that these kids get to feel part of something.

IIf you think they should stop doing that and invest in expensive foreign imports instead, then I suggest you have that badly wrong.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

I honestly can't tell if you are being ironic or not, but if you aren't then you need to give your head a wobble.

I've seen first hand the community stuff that Wigan do in the area, and it is outstanding. Many of the kids who take part in these initiatives are from deprived families and the club is the only place that educates them, keeps them fit and in many cases even feeds them. Its the only place that these kids get to feel part of something.

IIf you think they should stop doing that and invest in expensive foreign imports instead, then I suggest you have that badly wrong.

I don’t have it badly wrong, and am astonished you find my suggestions egregious. The Wigan’s club’s purpose is to field the best first team they can, not to do “good deeds”. We are not a school, we are not a youth club, we are not a charity, and should stop pretending to be one. The RFL or the schools or the clubs can do the good deeds, every penny we generate should focus on one goal and one goal only - where do we get the players and the coach who will make us the best first team we can be. We have around £7.5m turnover, which is plenty enough to recruit and retain an excellent coach and a strong first team. 

And if we ditched the salary cap, and tapped up our billionaire, we could have much bigger crowds again - and many of those who went would be inspired to take up and follow the game. 

Tell anyone who sat through Friday’s game how happy they ought to be about the community initiatives, and see how you get on. 

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don’t have it badly wrong, and am astonished you find my suggestions egregious. The Wigan’s club’s purpose is to field the best first team they can, not to do “good deeds”. We are not a school, we are not a youth club, we are not a charity, and should stop pretending to be one. The RFL or the schools or the clubs can do the good deeds, every penny we generate should focus on one goal and one goal only - where do we get the players and the coach who will make us the best first team we can be. We have around £7.5m turnover, which is plenty enough to recruit and retain an excellent coach and a strong first team. 

And if we ditched the salary cap, and tapped up our billionaire, we could have much bigger crowds again - and many of those who went would be inspired to take up and follow the game. 

Tell anyone who sat through Friday’s game how happy they ought to be about the community initiatives, and see how you get on. 

OK mate, whatever.

6 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Why do you think Wigan and indeed all clubs do so many community initiatives? It feels a bit of naivety to see it is benevolence rather than something that indirectly benefits the team performance. Fan recruitment and retention, relationship with the community, ability to market and engage sponsors and so on. I don't think clubs do it out of the goodness of their hearts. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

7 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Why do you think Wigan and indeed all clubs do so many community initiatives? It feels a bit of naivety to see it is benevolence rather than something that indirectly benefits the team performance. Fan recruitment and retention, relationship with the community, ability to market and engage sponsors and so on. I don't think clubs do it out of the goodness of their hearts. 

It should also be noted that most community and development work will be done by the Foundation, which is a separate arm to the club - it has charity status and therefore receives funding from a whole range of funding partners. It certainly shouldn't be a drain on the club's resources

• Like 2

On 21/08/2021 at 12:15, The storm said:

What I can see of Bentley is that he is useful in a pack that is winning. 

And thats exactly the comment I made when Leeds announced his signing for next year and why I dont think it was a good move for him at this stage in his career. He's easily rattled and his petulent side comes out far too often. Leeds need leaders in their pack, a Peacock or a JJB type player and thats just not Bentley, not yet anyway. 

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

And thats exactly the comment I made when Leeds announced his signing for next year and why I dont think it was a good move for him at this stage in his career. He's easily rattled and his petulent side comes out far too often. Leeds need leaders in their pack, a Peacock or a JJB type player and thats just not Bentley, not yet anyway. 

Still loving how Saints fans don't see what's coming at them next season at Headingley.

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

Still loving how Saints fans don't see what's coming at them next season at Headingley.

Still loving how Leeds fans keep dreaming they're a top club and have a top coach !!

Edited by Saint Toppy

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Still loving how Leeds fans keep dreaming they're a top club

I was just going to say the same thing. Average squad, average coach, I don't understand what they are all so bullish about. They won't make the playoffs this year and if they want to make them next year they have work to do.

2 hours ago, MZH said:

I was just going to say the same thing. Average squad, average coach, I don't understand what they are all so bullish about. They won't make the playoffs this year and if they want to make them next year they have work to do.

Ssshh don't let the Leeds fans hear you say that, according to them Agar is a wonder coach, the best in SL  (Well if you count best as having won 1 trophy in over a decade as a head coach and a win ratio of just 45% 😁)