My dredful speeling hand grummer

A lady on fb put a photo of her mobility scooter up with the caption :

"Does any 1 no any thing about this not getting me any we’re Nead some 1 that no’s any thing about these battery’s sue on me after 1 Mile".

Another lady put up a photo of a water hose reel that she wanted to sell under the listing title of :

"Horse Pip".

My mate reckoned the last one was actually listed by Officer Crabtree from Allo Allo.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 07/10/2021 at 03:58, unapologetic pedant said:

Some common errors are committed by people with otherwise excellent grammar and spelling.

Here`s a few of my favourites to try out on your granddaughter -

The difference in meaning of the pronouns "who" and "whom" is between subject and object. It has nothing to do with singular or plural.

"Infer" does not mean "Imply".

"Elide" does not mean "Conflate".

When someone says "homogenous", what they mean to say is "homogeneous".

The adjective corresponding to the adverb "gingerly" is also "gingerly", not "ginger".

And while we are at it, 

"refute" does not merely mean "deny" and

"cancel" does not mean "postpone" (various sports journalists and sub-editors, please note)

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

"refute" does not merely mean "deny" and

Rebut and repudiate sit somewhere between, should someone wish their denial to connote more force and substance. 

There`s less room for nuance when the thing being denied is entry.

Melvyn Bragg had a Radio 4 programme a while ago examining these niceties of meaning.

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

"cancel" does not mean "postpone" (various sports journalists and sub-editors, please note)

Knowing that an event announced as cancelled will not subsequently take place hinges on guessing whether the writer is aware of the distinction. 

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

And while we are at it, 

If we are indeed at it, 

"Alternate" does not mean "Alternative".

The noun of "disingenuous" is not "disingenuity". 

Archived