Fax doing things differently?

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

That would be great but theres simply a lack of numbers. In all my years I can never remember there not been a team playing under the Ovenden so when they folded this year it was a great shame. There are rumours of the Fax ladies team playing out of there but it would still be under the Fax name rather than Ovenden. As mentioned I do think a lot of it is to do with how the game paints itself. Its hard to get new people involved the people already involved are so down on the sport.

It can be a bit depressing admittedly but it is all too easy to blame this on RL; it is happening in too many sports besides ours. There are football and cricket clubs folding with some regularity due to the same problems: a lack of players. In these days, with the prominence of the individual, players are less likely to show any loyalty to their club and will drop out of a match for all sorts of reasons. The days when, if you didn't turn up or missed training then you didn't play, are now long gone.

It is sad but a reflection of attitudes, which we all probably share to a greater or lesser extent.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

48 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Happen.

I recall visiting Thrum Hall for a YC game in the 80's when Maurice Bamford had been appointed and there were only about 600 in the ground. Like all clubs fans will turn out for a winning team, coupled with a bit of excitement.

Ive often thought that but our history suggests otherwise as our crowds in 1998 and 2010 were nothing to write home about despite the quality on the pitch.

3 hours ago, TrueBull said:

Halifax Town have been fairly steady last few years as well. They get about 1900 (+/- 200) fans. I think they could get a few hundred more if they got out of the conference into div2. I assume both clubs have equal rights at The Shay?

I believe they do but most Town fans still see it as "their ground" despite them been a new entity.

Archived