Liam Whitton

gazza77

I thought he looked promising when he played for us, though realised he'd be unlikely to be a first team regular. I don't recall seeing anything from the club about him leaving mid-season, but he clearly went to his local amateur side (Sidddal) and now appears to be another Fax signing for 2022. Seeing they've today signed Alex Walker on trial, they're going to have a lot of cover at fullback. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

57 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I thought he looked promising when he played for us, though realised he'd be unlikely to be a first team regular. I don't recall seeing anything from the club about him leaving mid-season, but he clearly went to his local amateur side (Sidddal) and now appears to be another Fax signing for 2022. Seeing they've today signed Alex Walker on trial, they're going to have a lot of cover at fullback. 

We never gave Whitton a chance even when we needed a full back.Walker is ok but not my cup of tea all over the place at the back and i think Pickersgill we prove to be better.

On 12/11/2021 at 20:39, sentoffagain2 said:

We never gave Whitton a chance even when we needed a full back.Walker is ok but not my cup of tea all over the place at the back and i think Pickersgill we prove to be better.

To be fair S he had left the club before we needed a full back agree walker good with ball in hand but defensively could be found out and pickergill not keen for me we should have got someone to replace minns and welham and played craig H at FB

44 minutes ago, POR said:

To be fair S he had left the club before we needed a full back agree walker good with ball in hand but defensively could be found out and pickergill not keen for me we should have got someone to replace minns and welham and played craig H at FB

Agree that Hall's best position is full back.When he played on the wing he often dashed out into the attacking line leaving Welham with two to mark.Ferres who was defending the left edge tended to get pulled inside to defend rather than sliding out to covr the centre position.Not his fault as you have to tackle whats in front of you.Whitton may not have been good enough but Webster didn't even give him a chance.Then we get the remark he is not big enough .Tell  that to players like Steve Nash, Roger Millward ,Keith Hepworth and Rob Burrow all as hard as nails.

4 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Then we get the remark he is not big enough .Tell  that to players like Steve Nash, Roger Millward ,Keith Hepworth and Rob Burrow all as hard as nails.

The four you mentioned were all half backs though, and I do think in the modern game you have to be pretty exceptional to make the grade at SL or Championship if you are really small or slight in physique, especially away from the half back positions.

Over the last seven or eight years I can think of at least four very small full backs that we have signed - Dave Scott, Josh Sunley, Kiedan Hartley and Liam Whitton. They were all feisty/plucky characters and likeable to watch but although Scott did pretty well at Batley I think for all four their lack of size/bulk has made it difficult for them.

Archived