Academy graduate spine: 1, 6, 7, 9, 13

I was just looking at the recently announced Saints squad numbers and it is heartening to see the first choice spine all as academy graduates in Welsby, Lomax, Dodd, Roby and Knowles.

I'm sure a first choice, home grown spine has happened lots of times but the only other one I can call to mind is Leeds (I assume Smith, Maguire, Burrow, Diskin, Sinfield must have been first choice for at least a short period - and boy were those lads successful) and guess Wigan must have done too?

Any examples?

12 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I was just looking at the recently announced Saints squad numbers and it is heartening to see the first choice spine all as academy graduates in Welsby, Lomax, Dodd, Roby and Knowles.

I'm sure a first choice, home grown spine has happened lots of times but the only other one I can call to mind is Leeds (I assume Smith, Maguire, Burrow, Diskin, Sinfield must have been first choice for at least a short period - and boy were those lads successful) and guess Wigan must have done too?

Any examples?

Saw the new squad numbers earlier too, good to see 9 of the first choice 13 all being from the Academy.

Equally as pleasing though is seeing that Woolf  hasn't automatically given Sironen one of the 2nd row shirt numbers, looks like he's keeping faith in Batchelor after such a good season in 2021.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

the only other one I can call to mind is Leeds (I assume Smith, Maguire, Burrow, Diskin, Sinfield must have been first choice for at least a short period

More likely Mathers, McGuire, Burrow, Diskin, Sinfield but yes I don't think my club certainly has had that other than during that period.

Archived