MotoGP 2022

It was a great start to the season at Losail Circuit Qatar with Enea Bastianini, taking out 1st place on his Gresini Racing team Ducati, followed by, Brad Binder on his Factory Team KTM, taking out 2nd place from Pol Espargaro coming across the line in 3rd position on his Repsol Factory Honda. The 2 Aussie riders had a bit of a disappointing  day with Remy Gardiner coming in 15th place on his Red Bull KTM and Jack Miller on his Factory Team Ducati retired early in the race due to electronic issues with the bike, but swears he is going to put all right this Sunday in Indonesia in round 2 of MotoGP 2022.

• Like 1

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

If anyone wants to come and join I am running a couple of MotoGP tipping comps over at 

Superbru

HD Wrecking Crew

Superbru - Free MotoGP Predictor Game - HD Wrecking Crew

Aussie Riders

Superbru - Free MotoGP Predictor Game - Aussie Riders

All are welcome to come and participate 

On 17/03/2022 at 02:56, R L Winger said:

It was a great start to the season at Losail Circuit Qatar with Enea Bastianini, taking out 1st place on his Gresini Racing team Ducati, followed by, Brad Binder on his Factory Team KTM, taking out 2nd place from Pol Espargaro coming across the line in 3rd position on his Repsol Factory Honda. The 2 Aussie riders had a bit of a disappointing  day with Remy Gardiner coming in 15th place on his Red Bull KTM and Jack Miller on his Factory Team Ducati retired early in the race due to electronic issues with the bike, but swears he is going to put all right this Sunday in Indonesia in round 2 of MotoGP 2022.

In case you haven't spotted it, there's a TV series called MotoGP Unlimited that has just appeared on Amazon Prime. Eight episodes, following the story of the 2021 season.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 19/03/2022 at 02:53, Futtocks said:

In case you haven't spotted it, there's a TV series called MotoGP Unlimited that has just appeared on Amazon Prime. Eight episodes, following the story of the 2021 season.

Cheers mate will have to check it out

ROUND 2 RACE WRAP UP INDONESIA

It was worth the wait, wasn’t it? On a rain-soaked Sunday afternoon at the Pertamina Grand Prix of Indonesia, Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) put in an absolute masterclass in wet conditions to claim victory and bounce back in style from a tough opening round. Reigning World Champion Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP™) sliced back through to second for his first podium of the season, ahead of compatriot Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing) in third. The win for Oliveira sees KTM head the Constructors’ standings for the first time, as well as putting Red Bull KTM Factory Racing top in the teams’ title fight thanks to their Qatar podium and, now, first victory of the season.

The drama began early on Sunday, however, as Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) suffered a huge crash in Warm Up and was forced to miss the race due to concussion. Then, after Moto2™, the rain came down as thunderstorms hit Lombok, but after more than an hour’s delay, at 16:15 local time, it was lights out in Indonesia for the first time in 25 years. Quartararo got an outstanding launch from pole position, comfortably collecting the holeshot, as Oliveira made a lightning start from P7 to grab second and Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) shot swiftly up to P3 from sixth on the grid.

At the start of Lap 2, both Oliveira and Miller passed Quartararo as the early pacesetters started to stretch their legs, with the Australian then picking off Oliveira for the race lead too. Now down in third, Quartararo had Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar), compatriot Zarco and a rapid starting Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) for company too –  the 2020 Champion up from way down the grid after a nightmare Q1.

Rins and Zarco then got the better of Quartararo early on, but they faced an already substantial 2.4s gap to Miller and Oliveira… and that order was about to switch. The Portuguese rider carved his way past the Ducati of Miller at Turn 12 on Lap 6 to retake the lead, and then he got the hammer down.

Meanwhile, there was a big moment for Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team), the Italian somehow staying on after a snap into Turn 1. Still, he slipped down to P12 behind Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda Team) and Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing), with Championship leader Enea Bastianini (Gresini Racing MotoGP™) struggling even more, dow in P20 from fifth on the grid.

Back in the top ten though, Turn 1 was about to bite again. Having just got the better of Franco Morbidelli (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP™) for P7, Jorge Martin (Pramac Racing) then became the first and only crasher of the race in the braking zone into the first corner, the 2021 Rookie of the Year down, out, but ok.

At the front, there were no such dramas. Oliveira had stretched his lead to 1.6s, Miller was second, Rins third, Zarco fourth, and Quartararo fifth with 12 laps to go. At half race distance though, Zarco was the quickest rider on track and a quality move came on Rins at Turn 12 for P3. Miller wasn’t far up the road from the Frenchman either, and he looked desperate to pass the Australian as Quartararo really started to find his groove behind them. Sure enough, El Diablo was back into P3 with five laps to go, with he and Zarco fighting it out in spectacular style.

Oliveira was 3.5s clear as the battle raged behind, but with Quartararo now the fastest rider on track and back up to second on Lap 16 of 20. Zarco also managed to follow the Yamaha man through on Miller, and with three laps to go, it suddenly started to look like Oliveira might be in the crosshairs after all. The gap was slashed by a second and the lead was down to 3.4s – was it game on?

Quartararo took a tenth more here and there as the laps ticked down, but Oliveira responded. At the start of the last lap, it remained a healthy 2.8s and the Portuguese rider just needed to bring it home, with Quartararo enjoying a 0.9s buffer to Zarco, who in turn had 2.3s in hand over Miller. The podium seemed decided, and it was.

Crossing the line for his first win of the year, Oliveira’s masterclass sees the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing rider take 25 points, puts KTM on top in the title and factory fights, and moves him up 16 places in the riders’ Championship to boot. After a tough start in Qatar and for much of the latter half of 2021, it was quite a statement ride by the multiple MotoGP™ winner.

Nevertheless, Quartararo celebrated P2 like a win as the Frenchman showed his wet weather prowess for the first time in the premier class, taking some valuable points too. Zarco completed the podium, the third place marking a return to the rostrum for the number 5 for the first time since Barcelona 2021.

Miller, always strong in the wet, takes home a hard-earned P4, with Rins putting in a solid ride to claim P5. P6 for Mir, having started from the lower echelons of the top 20, is also a job well done for the 2020 World Champion too, and he got onto the back of his teammate by the flag. Morbidelli ended up a somewhat lonely P7 despite his three-place grid penalty as we witnessed an almighty battle for P8 behind the Italian.

It was won in the end by Brad Binder, who was just ahead of Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) over the line. But the South African had to get his elbows to take that eighth place by force, and it was none other than his brother, WithU Yamaha RNF MotoGP™ Team’s Darryn Binder, standing in the way.

The rookie put in a tour de force and one of the rides of the day, leading the battle for eighth onto the final lap before Brad Binder struck, then only losing out to the number 33 and Espargaro’s Aprilia. The number 40 claimed his first points and top ten after an absolute barnstormer, top rookie by some margin.

World Championship leader Bastianini, who retains that moniker by two single points ahead of Brad Binder and recovering well in the latter stages, took P11 ahead of Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda Team), Alex Marquez (LCR Honda Castrol) and Luca Marini (Mooney VR46 Racing Team). Bagnaia slipped down the order after his earlier moment to a tough P15, making it one point from the opening two races for one of the pre-season title favourites.

Andrea Dovizioso (WithU Yamaha RNF MotoGP™ Team) was the only other non-finisher alongside Martin after the Italian encountered an issue with his YZR-M1 and was forced to retire.

That’s take one on Lombok in the history books, and it’s safe to say the Indonesian GP was full of action. Oliveira goes home with the race-winning trophy, Bastianini remains the title leader, and there’s only 10 points between the top nine heading to Argentina for Round 3… as well as a new manufacturer on top in the standings. Join us for more as MotoGP™ returns at Termas de Rio Hondo!

PODIUM

1 Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) – KTM – 33’27.223

2 Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) – Yamaha – +2.205

3 Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing) – Ducati – +3.158

What a result in Argentina! Aleix Espargaro, in his 200th race, finally gets a win. And on an Aprilia, to boot.

That makes it nine different names on the podium in three races so far in 2022.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 19:49, Futtocks said:

What a result in Argentina! Aleix Espargaro, in his 200th race, finally gets a win. And on an Aprilia, to boot.

That makes it nine different names on the podium in three races so far in 2022.

Fantastic variety of winners and great for Asprilia too 

Really enjoying the bikes this year

Moto2 is shedding the "poor relation" tag it had in the Honda days as well, so there are now three good races at every GP meet.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Aleix Espargaro! :kolobok_biggrin: :kolobok_biggrin: :kolobok_biggrin: :kolobok_biggrin: :kolobok_biggrin: :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next Sunday's German GP and the British GP in August will be shown live and FTA by ITV. 🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't about the 2022 season, but Wayne Rainey has just ridden the Goodwood hillclimb course on a YZR500, 29 years after his racing career ended with him being permanently paralysed from the chest down.

https://www.motorcyclesports.net/articles/video-wayne-rainey-back-on-his-yamaha-yzr500-for-the-goodwood-festival-of-speed 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

This isn't about the 2022 season, but Wayne Rainey has just ridden the Goodwood hillclimb course on a YZR500, 29 years after his racing career ended with him being permanently paralysed from the chest down.

https://www.motorcyclesports.net/articles/video-wayne-rainey-back-on-his-yamaha-yzr500-for-the-goodwood-festival-of-speed 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 12/06/2022 at 15:09, Futtocks said:

Next Sunday's German GP and the British GP in August will be shown live and FTA by ITV. 🙂 🙂 🙂 

If only today's races from Assen had been the FTA ones, rather than last week's relatively poor spectacle from the sterile Sachsenring.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Reminder: today's British GP is FTA on ITV.

Coverage starts on ITV4 at 10:45am, with the Moto3 race starting at 11:20am. Then it switches to ITV1 at 12:25pm for the MotoGP race at 1pm and the Moto2 race at 2:30pm.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

For all but the last lap and a half there was about 4 seconds between the race leader and the rider in 20th place. Even by Moto3 standards, that was one hell of a race!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was at the motogp last weekend as a marshal. Good enjoyable weekend, but I didn't half feel a long way from the track. 

Edited by gazza77
  • Like 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb