Brian Hogan

Former St.Helens, Wigan, Bradford, Widnes and Oldham player, Brian Hogan, has died at the age of 74.

He played over 440 games in a career lasting 18 seasons. He was a tough, skilful player who never took a backward step and was one who enjoyed a bit of the biff! I remember him as a great character of the game. RIP.

Edited by Jinking Jimmy
  • Sad 1

My memory might be playing tricks but, possibly around 40 years ago, I seem to recall the RFL cracking down on foul play by issuing long bans (sound familiar?!?!) and I'm pretty sure Brian Hogan was one of the culprits who received an 8 game ban that was unheard of back then.

Harry Edgar might be able to help out here, I think either "Rugby Leaguer" or "Open Rugby" had a cartoon of a road sign adapted from the warning sign for "Danger overhead bridge" at the time but with Brian's name instead of the words "overhead bridge" on it.

Sorry to hear of his passing, he was a rather uncompromising player and as tough as they came.

RIP Brian.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

My memory might be playing tricks but, possibly around 40 years ago, I seem to recall the RFL cracking down on foul play by issuing long bans (sound familiar?!?!) and I'm pretty sure Brian Hogan was one of the culprits who received an 8 game ban that was unheard of back then.

Harry Edgar might be able to help out here, I think either "Rugby Leaguer" or "Open Rugby" had a cartoon of a road sign adapted from the warning sign for "Danger overhead bridge" at the time but with Brian's name instead of the words "overhead bridge" on it.

Sorry to hear of his passing, he was a rather uncompromising player and as tough as they came.

RIP Brian.

Apparently suspended for 13 matches after a late, high tackle on Mal Reilly.

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

RIP Brian.

Pretty sure there was a clampdown in late 1980s where pretty much every high tackle was a red card and 8 match ban. Think people forget one aspect of the "hard men" was the skilful players like Millward, Holmes etc ending up with broken jaws, being concussed etc..

14 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Pretty sure there was a clampdown in late 1980s where pretty much every high tackle was a red card and 8 match ban. Think people forget one aspect of the "hard men" was the skilful players like Millward, Holmes etc ending up with broken jaws, being concussed etc..

I was speaking to a player from that era recently and he described the game then as brutal.

• Like 1