Rule changes

POR

Apparently proposals have been drawn up which will see the GREEN card used more frequently this year., a player will be shown a green card if the game is forced to be paused for them to receive treatment. If the player is shown the green card, they will have to stay off the field for two minutes.

The RFL is also expected to implement the 18th-man rule that was used during the World Cup. The rule, allows a team to name an 18th man in their matchday squad who can then be used if three players fail head injury assessments.

14 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

I asked this question on Twitter but didn't really get a response

Does the green card make any difference to substitutions? Is the option on receiving a green card play with 12 for 2 minutes or make a substitution, which is one of the usual allowance?

It's to stop play acting M if a player rolls about gets treatment then gets up and runs about like a spring chicken then possible green card and team down to 12  for 2 if he goes off injured then no green card sub comes on

38 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

I asked this question on Twitter but didn't really get a response

Does the green card make any difference to substitutions? Is the option on receiving a green card play with 12 for 2 minutes or make a substitution, which is one of the usual allowance?

My understanding from how it worked last year (when it was slightly different wording and didn't get used that often) is that you have the option - either the player goes off for 2 minutes leaving you with 12 players, or you interchange him, counting as one of the 8 interchanges allowed. I might be wrong though.

Not sure I'm totally convinced about it...there's going to be extra pressure on players to NOT stay down when they have taken a knock, I would have thought.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

My understanding from how it worked last year (when it was slightly different wording and didn't get used that often) is that you have the option - either the player goes off for 2 minutes leaving you with 12 players, or you interchange him, counting as one of the 8 interchanges allowed. I might be wrong though.

Not sure I'm totally convinced about it...there's going to be extra pressure on players to NOT stay down when they have taken a knock, I would have thought.

Then this 100% encourages players to play on with injuries. I understand why it's in place due to the huge upturn in feigning injury but it only has to go wrong once and someone's career / life is changed.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

My understanding from how it worked last year (when it was slightly different wording and didn't get used that often) is that you have the option -

True P Last year it only applied if club doctor got the ref to stop the game so when applied then the player will either leave the field for a concussion assessment, be interchanged, or will leave the field for 2 minutes of elapsed playing time before being allowed to re-enter the field by the Reserve Referee in an onside position from the dug out side of the field. 

This year apparently it's been amended  so green card rule can now  be implemented if doctor stops the game   if player is receiving treatment when game is still going on but not if the referee chooses to stop the game because he believes it’s not safe to carry on.”

It's hoping  to stop players from attempting to pick up a player who has stayed down while also discouraging players from feigning injury, and t's hoped that the change will reduce the number of stoppages within the game  Work is still being done around the ruling but it is expected to be implemented in the coming weeks. Says   head injury assessments will remain as they currently are.

Funny thong with this now looking like a bee in the RFL's bonnet don't be surprised if we  see a boat load of green cards at the start of the season just like we saw with head highs last year 

1 hour ago, Michael Bates said:

Then this 100% encourages players to play on with injuries. I understand why it's in place due to the huge upturn in feigning injury but it only has to go wrong once and someone's career / life is changed.

Doubt it M I'm sure a player knows if he's really injured yes I know players will play on if they get a slight knock which might get worse and force them to miss a game or two but if it's a bad one I think common sense will  prevail and he will opt to go off

On 08/01/2023 at 09:53, POR said:

Latest amendment if you get a scrum penalty you can now kick for goal

This must be to combat the 'deliberate' offside when defending a scrum 10 yards out that seems to have become prevelant in the past couple of years.

13 minutes ago, Tubby said:

This must be to combat the 'deliberate' offside when defending a scrum 10 yards out that seems to have become prevelant in the past couple of years.

Yes, that was the first thing that came to my mind too. Far easier to defend a differential penalty 10m from your own line with 13 players spread across the park than with 6 in the scrum - as proven by the fact that the attacking team tended to opt for the scrum to be re-set rather than accept the penalty.