League - Round 2 Widnes Away - Sunday 12th February

Indigogo

Moving swiftly on from last night! Another tough test, although I don't believe it'll be anywhere near as difficult as playing Fev.

Widnes have recruited well in the off season and had a good win away at York this weekend just gone, so confidence will be high, especially with our no show last night.

Not sure on the fallout from last night in terms of injuries or bans. Trout went off injured after 12 mins and didn't return, hopefully he's fit. Then Everett was sin binned, there maybe a further ban coming for that. I think Thomas Doyle still has one match to sit out on his ban, but can't seem to find if that's confirmed anywhere or not.

Hopefully we have Mark Ioane and Brad Walker available to add some size to our pack. 

22 quid a ticket and 17 quid on the official club travel. One of the costlier away days barring Toulouse 😅

Our problem is Parker, Gaylor, Levey, Kesik to name a fee are good championship 1 players. Kesik was the best of that bunch last night but does lack pace. Parker was playing like a ball handler last night never saw any of his hard running like he did in league 1. Gaylor is average at best in league 1 and Levey works hard but when you say that you've said it all.

Once we can put our strongest 17 out together and get up to match fitness I think we will compete but if we dont add some size and pace to our pack good teams will bully us.

I'll be at Widnes on Sunday but don't think we will win although I would love us to. Think it will take 4 or 5 games to get upto pace and I think Newcasle at home the week after Widnes will come at a good time although I dont think they will be a pushover. 

• Like 1

Totally agree regarding Parker, Gaylor and Levy. I think they could be useful squad players but when all 3 are in the starting 17 each week I think we will get found out. Kesik whilst I agree to some extent with the above, he was one of our better players last night, it was no coincidence they started to score points once he went off in the first half and then before he came back on. He's an aggressive tackler and I like him. Much prefer him to Gaylor who I think lacks the skill and size to be a champ player. 

Totally agree regarding the pack. Ioane coming in will help, and having Walker at 13 will mean Adebiyi can play in the front or back row. I'd still like at least one other big prop, preferably 2, but I can't see that happening anytime soon. We are light in numbers imo, Trouts injury and a possible ban to Everett for the high shot and we are left with Santi, Parker, Ioane and Adebiyi. There's Mudoti in the squad but I've heard he's gone out on loan, he didn't get a game in league one so can't see him being selected.

Too much been made of Luke Gayle signing. Hasn't been outstanding in the last few years and personally thought he was over rated as this all came on a couple of good seasons for Cas. Hope he does come good for us but think he will struggle behind our pack against better teams.

Widnes will not fear us on Sunday just hope we compete and maybe   scrape a win.

Widnes away is always a tough one. They will be full of confidence from beating York and have the benefit of Fev highlighting our weaknesses.

I don't think Widnes are anywhere near as good as Fev but we will need to play considerably better to get a result on Sunday.

I do think that it will take some of our players a few games to get up to speed with the Championship and hopefully we will see some individual improvements as the season progresses.

The one area I was pleased with was our fitness. We played for the full 80 mins and didn't fade away at a much faster pace than we have been used to.

£22 does seem very expensive for this level of RL, but hopefully it won't put off too many Cougar fans from travelling.

Unfortunately I will miss the next two games as I am away for a couple of weeks. So please give them a cheer for me.

21 man squad has been announced. Keenen Tomlinson replaces Kyle Trout. Presume Trout's knee injury has meant he's not fit. 

Presume Ioane comes into the 17 for Trout. Would be nice if Brad Walker was fit and ready. Could see Adebiyi move from loose forward to front or back row, but not sure who would miss out for him. Maybe Santi or Levy?

I don't think Kesik will play at 9 just because of the quicker surface. Maybe Jack Miller can be persuaded to play there? Let's wait and see!

We need a vast improvement in the goal line defence.

Danny Craven is fit for Widnes,who,like Featherstone, have a number of aged 30+ players.

Our young'ish squad need to stick together and improve together.

Good that we are away from home and so a degree of pressure won't be on the players.

Dunno if a captain has been elected but someone shouting and pointing would be different from Monday night.

I'm also hoping for a different display,and result,from Monday night.

Time to start the 2023 campaign...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Couagrs123 said:

Forward pack simply is not championship standard!!  Pettybourne left and we didn’t replace him

need a forward or 2 asap or this won’t improve our results 

I don't wish to appear churlish on the day there was an incremental improvement, but,we didn't really apply much pressure to their line for any sustained period of time.We certainly won the goal line drop-outs conceded competition.

As I have typed out before,some coaches now go for smaller,fitter, more mobile 'middles'.

Rhys will gladly answer any of your questions.He is most amiable.

It is the defence that requires the quickest improvement. It may be that Scott Murrell started on coaching it;and it has now changed.

The 'process' will take time to become fluid,but one of our players kept flying out the line and missing.When he did make it,just before half time,he conceded the penalty for offside and another try followed.Then when he went of injured,Chisholm was exposed down that side and they score again.

We cannot keep conceding so many points and expect to win.

The next two home games,Thunder and Broncos,will hopefully see further improvement. 

Will Batley lose 2 at home,on the bounce? Barrow have

Nice facility at Widnes,ain't it?

Impressive debut from Brad Walker, I reckon 

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 12/02/2023 at 18:49, Couagrs123 said:

Forward pack simply is not championship standard!!  Pettybourne left and we didn’t replace him

need a forward or 2 asap or this won’t improve our results 

I think we are light and would like another prop. I think that's a fair comment considering we are playing Levy there who has predominantly been a back rower.