Fran Goldthorp

Nice to see Fran getting a bit of media up in Townsville, she was a guest on the Triple M network radio station the other day and she’s also been used in other promos for the Cowboys and in photo shoots.

Hollie-Mae Dodd has had a little bit too but no word on Georgia Roche and I don’t even know if she’s in Oz yet.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

• 2 weeks later...

The game is currently being live streamed on YouTube.

NRLW channel.

6-6 at halftime.

Fran hasn’t had any opportunities yet but has made some tough hit ups.

On 29/06/2023 at 23:51, unapologetic pedant said:

Still no sign of Georgia Roche in any Knights media content.

There is now an interview with Georgia on the Knights website. Sounded rather nervous. Landed in Oz Monday evening. Which begs a few questions.

Of our three NRLW players, I believe she will face the most challenges. Five-year contract, so ample time to settle in.

I'm not clear whether an English player who signs a multi-year deal will stay in Oz and play State comps. If she comes home, will she be free to play WSL?

3 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

I find it strange why she arrived so late given the comp starts in just over 2 weeks.

I hope she isn’t too far behind in fitness.

There may have been commitments back in the UK, such as working out her notice from her job, or something similar. It's less complicated for well paid full-time professionals to up sticks and relocate half a world away.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2023 at 23:51, unapologetic pedant said:

Titans v Cowboys trial at Burleigh on Saturday. They also meet in NRLW round 1.

Francesca named in the Cowboys 22-player squad. Fingers crossed, no injuries.

The two Titans players who hobbled off against the Cowboys were subsequently ruled out of NRLW 2023. Which points up the doubtful value of trials for a 9-game regular season. If the same had happened to Fran, would also have illustrated why NRLW clubs are unlikely to risk bringing too many players from the other side of the world. 

Not sure if there were any injuries in Knights/Broncos, Sharks/Tigers, Eels/Dragons.

Raiders and Roosters must have decided to eschew a pre-season hit-out. Probably wise.

4 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Nice NRL feature on Hollie Dodd, with the (inevitable) mention of the British connection at the Green Machine

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/07/16/dodds-move-down-under-set-to-mark-new-era-in-the-nations-capital/

In former times, there would have been a similarly inevitable mention of more-accustomed temperatures. That line doesn't quite work since we moved to summer.

There's a reference to accents in the article. I could be wrong, but the speech of younger people in some parts of West Yorkshire seems to have changed. The way Hollie pronounces the letter O, as in "second row", isn't what I would expect from a Cas girl. Noticed the same with Georgie Hetherington.

• 3 weeks later...

Fran played very well today vs the Broncos in a losing side. I think she was always a threat when she did get the ball albeit still not in the best positions.

Im not normally a stats man but out of interest she did run nearly 190 metres.

Sadly she is in a pretty weak team, the Cowboys have no real grunt up front and we’re completely dominated by the Broncos which makes her performance even better imo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...