Hunslet (A)

horbury ram

9 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Harland generally plays big minutes and to be fair he is younger and no doubt fitter than Fergie or at least he should be with all the pampered facilities at his disposal.

Like I said earlier I love Fergie to bits and he is brilliant for us in short impactive spells. I am definitely hoping he can make the 17 this week however not to the cost or detriment of his future health. 

If relaxing on a wooden bench for usually 50 of the 80 mins of a game constitutes being our best forward then fair enough. Granted if this was a court case mitigating factors in his favour would be his age.

Now if you were to have described him as being our best impactive, team morale boosting, crowd uplifting, opposition terrorising forward well you would be bang on the money.

After all that my point was that some of our other forwards have been putting in 80 min graft every week and played a massive part in getting us to where we are.

What a good and fair assessment. Including the implications for the future. 

Being a serious short term impact player at our current level doesn't necessarily mean that you can be a serious part of the plans for next year..

I reiterate my opinion that the pack is the area where most work will be needed to help us stay up. Except possibly to find a replacement stand off, reliable goal kicker, and general motivator who isn't old enough to be the father of many of the other players. The present incumbent can't go on forever, no matter how much we,  and himself may wish it to be so

9 hours ago, STEVE P said:

What a good and fair assessment. Including the implications for the future. 

Being a serious short term impact player at our current level doesn't necessarily mean that you can be a serious part of the plans for next year..

I reiterate my opinion that the pack is the area where most work will be needed to help us stay up. Except possibly to find a replacement stand off, reliable goal kicker, and general motivator who isn't old enough to be the father of many of the other players. The present incumbent can't go on forever, no matter how much we,  and himself may wish it to be so

I agree with most of what you say Nick. However we should take account of the ages of most of our forwards who, surely, have their best years in front of them. To assume that they are now as good as they can ever be is goes against the requirement for more experience. We do have two "mature" pack members who probably won't do another year so replacements for them should be the target. (This, of course, ignores the probability of our favourite Championship coach sniffing around our better players and attempting to lure them to the bright lights of Sheffield.)

Half back continues to be an issue and the recent disappearance of George Collins is concerning. He looked pretty good in the one chance that he got.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I agree with most of what you say Nick. However we should take account of the ages of most of our forwards who, surely, have their best years in front of them. To assume that they are now as good as they can ever be is goes against the requirement for more experience. We do have two "mature" pack members who probably won't do another year so replacements for them should be the target. (This, of course, ignores the probability of our favourite Championship coach sniffing around our better players and attempting to lure them to the bright lights of Sheffield.)

Half back continues to be an issue and the recent disappearance of George Collins is concerning. He looked pretty good in the one chance that he got.

Think the halfback problem will rumble on until there is a change, and new blood injected, but where from? 

Decent unattached halfback demand serious money, however much we love Paul and thank him for his time at Dewsbury, surely he cannot go again next season. 

Not seen anything of Littlewood and may get a chance against Doncaster if it becomes a dead rubber after we win Sunday.... Who knows

Think it will become a little clearer Sunday... Once we're over the line in the direction we will go next season. 

22 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sadly George has gone to the dark side and will play for Huddersfield RUFC for the 2023/24 season, another talented player lost to the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1