Newcastle Thunder withdraw from League One in shock collapse

Total Rugby League

1 hour ago, NETIGER said:

Just noticed that none of the Thunder RL photos of Thunder players actually feature a local player!

Could this be part of the problem?

From the outside it would appear that the owners ambitions meant they needed to bring players in from other areas at a big cost.

Previously Thunder could compete at L1 standard by using local players.

It's a difficult conundrum which only Catalan seems to have beaten by spending big until their own players are ready to step up.

I really hope you can regroup and come back stronger. I will miss my trip up to the NE this season.

5 hours ago, Dovster said:

From the outside it would appear that the owners ambitions meant they needed to bring players in from other areas at a big cost.

Previously Thunder could compete at L1 standard by using local players.

It's a difficult conundrum which only Catalan seems to have beaten by spending big until their own players are ready to step up.

I really hope you can regroup and come back stronger. I will miss my trip up to the NE this season.

Something doesn't seem right here, and saying Covid and the slow development of the game in the north east is a factor for them finishing, especially with the growth of the amateur clubs in the north east with their youth teams, it has been impressive over the last serval years. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Something doesn't seem right here, and saying Covid and the slow development of the game in the north east is a factor for them finishing, especially with the growth of the amateur clubs in the north east with their youth teams, it has been impressive over the last serval years. 

I think maybe the thought of playing in a 9 team league has helped in their decision making.