Brain Injuries in Rugby (both League & Union)

Oldham Valderama

Bit of a different topic from the usual squad building / new coach rumours.

Just been reading another article on the BBC website about Rugby players and brain injuries, this seems to be a hot topic these days and is obviously a very serious subject. We all want players both in League & Union to participate in the game knowing and accepting the risks of physical injury but they should not have to think about dementia effecting them in later life.

Maybe this has been suggested before but I've just not seen discussions around it. Why not just make it mandatory for all players in both codes from young kids to veterans to wear the head guards that some players already wear? To me they are not intrusive (not as if its the NFL and your wearing a crash helmet on your head), does not seem to effect the performance any of the players wearing them in any negative way and is obviously providing some level of protection (to what level I am unsure) which is better than nothing and if all players wore them would have absolutely no impact on the playing side of things.

To me making these head caps compulsory (pardon the pun) is a "no brainer" and unless I'm missing something cannot see why either code hasnt thought of implementing their use for all. 

Probably not the whole solution to the issue of brain injuries in Rugby but seems like a pretty straight forward, sensible and easy quick win for all concerned. Any protection to the head is better than nothing.  

• Like 1

It would seem obvious and common sense. BUT, there's a reason, I believe ,why amateur boxing stopped wearing head guards in the men's division. It's because boxers were less likely to protect themselves. The head guard gave the boxers the belief that they were somehow invincible. Maybe, it could be argued, that the actions of rugby players may change. Going in head first etc. Also, I believe, scrum caps are more for preventing cauliflower ears rather than as a concussion protection. Now I'm not an expert, but think I've read the above from 'experts'. Maybe I'm wrong!!?

• Like 2

Cheers for that, makes sense what you say. I did though think that they gave the head some sort of protection (in addition to cauliflower ears) similar to the get up Petar Cech (the Chelsea goalkeeper) used to wear after his bad injury. Still don't think it would do any harm to make them compulsory but you know what these rugby players are like, tough as old boots 😁

2 hours ago, Oldham Valderama said:

Bit of a different topic from the usual squad building / new coach rumours.

Just been reading another article on the BBC website about Rugby players and brain injuries, this seems to be a hot topic these days and is obviously a very serious subject. We all want players both in League & Union to participate in the game knowing and accepting the risks of physical injury but they should not have to think about dementia effecting them in later life.

Maybe this has been suggested before but I've just not seen discussions around it. Why not just make it mandatory for all players in both codes from young kids to veterans to wear the head guards that some players already wear? To me they are not intrusive (not as if its the NFL and your wearing a crash helmet on your head), does not seem to effect the performance any of the players wearing them in any negative way and is obviously providing some level of protection (to what level I am unsure) which is better than nothing and if all players wore them would have absolutely no impact on the playing side of things.

To me making these head caps compulsory (pardon the pun) is a "no brainer" and unless I'm missing something cannot see why either code hasnt thought of implementing their use for all. 

Probably not the whole solution to the issue of brain injuries in Rugby but seems like a pretty straight forward, sensible and easy quick win for all concerned. Any protection to the head is better than nothing.  

Headguards dont prevent concussion. A lot of concussions are caused without any direct impact to the head.

American footballers wear full crash helmets they still get concussed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

It would seem obvious and common sense. BUT, there's a reason, I believe ,why amateur boxing stopped wearing head guards in the men's division. It's because boxers were less likely to protect themselves. The head guard gave the boxers the belief that they were somehow invincible. Maybe, it could be argued, that the actions of rugby players may change. Going in head first etc. Also, I believe, scrum caps are more for preventing cauliflower ears rather than as a concussion protection. Now I'm not an expert, but think I've read the above from 'experts'. Maybe I'm wrong!!?

Yes, in the same way that boxing would be safer if lighter, less padded gloves were worn or even none at all. The most "obvious" solutions are often the wrong ones.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.