Maguire Steps Down as Kiwi Coach

It's pretty disappointing, I think from a low point in the 2017 World Cup he has developed the kiwis into a real force to be reckoned with again.

I know some ex Kiwi players wanted him removed if he took the NSW job but I don't see how that job should affect his NZ role. For me the conflict would be more the other way around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It's pretty disappointing, I think from a low point in the 2017 World Cup he has developed the kiwis into a real force to be reckoned with again.

I know some ex Kiwi players wanted him removed if he took the NSW job but I don't see how that job should affect his NZ role. For me the conflict would be more the other way around.

There will be plenty more young players in coming years who will be eligible for both NSW/Australia & NZ, those players will have to pick on or the other under current rules.

If Maguire had the choice between a successful run as NSW coach or NZ coach he’d probably choose the former as it will bring more attention and probably better pay. Not unreasonable to expect he’d have a preference for such players to pick NSW.

Huge conflict of interest in my opinion. If common sense prevailed and they changed the rules and ditched the tier 1 has to be Australia rule attached to Origin then there probably wouldn’t be an issue.

• Like 2