Overseas Quota

I'm curious to fully understand how the quota works nowadays as it's been quite a few years since I've considered the quota for Super League - certainly haven't thought how it works post-Brexit.

When Brexit happened I understand the confusing Kolpak rule no longer applied. Kolpak of course meant that back then even though there was a quota, every second player got an exemption so the whole thing was pointless.

The current overseas quota for each SL club is 7 as I understand it. And that 7 includes all non-British players.

Are their plans to reduce the current overseas quota at all?

And how does it apply to Catalans (and presumably Toulouse if/when they are promoted)? do they still have pretty loose restrictions on overseas players? And do English players count as overseas players for the French teams?

The rule is that you are allowed 7 Non-Federation trained players.

The definition of this is players who did not play rugby league for 3 seasons within the European Rugby League before the age of 21. Therefore both English and French players, regardless of SL club, are exempt as long as they meet the 3 season requirement.

As far as I know there are no plans to change it.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

It will be interesting regarding Rugby League pacifique and France. There seems to be some real traction regarding Rugby league in the French Polynesia islands such as New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Wallis & Fortuna and French Polynesia. Would the players born there be able to represent France/French teams similar to someone born in the Falkland Islands for English teams. Would they count on the quota?

7 minutes ago, Stainesrover said:

It will be interesting regarding Rugby League pacifique and France. There seems to be some real traction regarding Rugby league in the French Polynesia islands such as New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Wallis & Fortuna and French Polynesia. Would the players born there be able to represent France/French teams similar to someone born in the Falkland Islands for English teams. Would they count on the quota?

The rules regarding the quota are what I have said already. International eligibility is completely different and you could play for France or England and still be a quota player.

Edited by Damien