They Don't Make TV Series For Kids Nowadays Like This/ 1.The Feathered Serpent/2. Catweazle/3.Ace Of Wands/4.THE GHOSTS OF MOTLEY HALL/ 5. TIMESLIP

36 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The Feathered Serpent is remarkable by any standards. Sometimes dubbed "I Claudius for children". Neither production staff nor thespian personnel appear to have made any concessions regarding the target audience. Just received a budget and delivered the best work possible. It's highly theatrical. No location filming. No half-baked attempts to recreate bygone Mexico in Home Counties countryside. The studio-bound constraints tighten the air of claustrophobic menace as Patrick Troughton goes about his fiendish machinations.

As an adult, I've always struggled to suspend disbelief. Seemed to become old and cynical around the age of 14. Only before, with the wide-eyed innocence of childhood, could I really go with the flow. The puffed-up celebrity status of modern actors erodes their credibility. Not a problem in the theatre, but when they spend so much time being themselves on red carpets at award ceremonies, their more naturalistic roles on film and TV are hard to take seriously. The performers in contemporary children's drama exude self-consciousness. Arch and patronising, like they're doing it for charity.

The 70s expansion of children's TV provision led to an era of "make it up as we go along". Some of the output was ill-advised nonsense but it is certainly true that "they don't make 'em like that anymore". Programmes subsequently became safer, inevitably more referential and derivative. ATV, Thames, and HTV were the most fertile ITV franchises in drama. Children of the Stones was the crowning achievement of the last-mentioned.

Another explanation for the diminution on UK commercial TV is that much of the advertising that funded previous ITV endeavour, for nutritionally-challenged snacks, drinks, breakfast cereals, would probably not be allowed nowadays.

Agree without of this. Ace Of Wands and Timeslip another couple of thought provoking series. Catweazle is a different animal, a comedy for a start, but crafted with such panache, I'm looking forward myself to going through this series.

Posted (edited)

S1 E2 - CASTLE SABURAC 

FOLLOWING ON FROM EPISODE 1

Catweazle, the magician from 1066, who escaped from The Normans and ended up in 1970's England runs into Hexwood Farm Yard, looking for Carrot, the young boy who befriended him.
He looks skyward as an aeroplane roars overhead.

download (1).jpeg

Confused and scared he turns looking for a hiding place, he sees Farmhand Sam in the work shed holding a welding torch. The welding flame sparkles and crackles Catweazle terrified. Sam senses someone looking at him.

MV5BODBkNDQzOWEtODBjMC00MjE1LWJmYjQtMGYzY2M4NTY3MWRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNDk5NWU3NmYtNTkzNy00ODZlLTkwZGYtYmY1MGI5MTQwNWQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Carrot is in the kitchen, he sees Catweazle through the window and runs out and pulls him inside, and into dining room. Catweazle immediately hides under the dining table, pulls out a piece of chalk from his robe and draws a circle around himself.
MV5BZmJhNzNjY2EtMDk2NS00ZWFjLTlhZTYtMDhjZjdmNWNjNjQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

CW " Master, Master deliver me from the demon."
C" eh?"
CW " pins of lightning, the demon holds his blasting rod, the noise, spppiss, spisss, spissss."
C( shouts) " get up!"
CW "gab gabba agabba "
C " GET UP!"
Carrot pulls him up,
C " you've got me into enough trouble already." ( Catweazle recently broke the kitchen window climbing out, for which Carrot got blamed).
The kettle on the stove whistles, Catweazle fearing it,
CW " arrgghh, tis the demon."
C " it's only the kettle."
CW " the kettle? It screams like a mandrake."
C " I thought you'd gone, why did you come back for?"
CW " thy magic O Master "
C" eh?"
CW " thy strange world hums with it, even in the sky, great fishes with wings roaring. Teach me thy magic and I will serve thee."
Carrot hears his Dad George entering kitchen, he runs out and over to sink, fills teapot with water from kettle.
C " hello dad"
G " what's up?"
C "nothing dad"
G " you've got your voice back then?"
C " yes Dad"
George eyes Carrot suspiciously, his son is being very diligent in getting breakfast ready.
G "you've not broken another window have you?"
C " course not"
G " you're up to something my lad"
Carrot takes teapot into dining room, luckily Catweazle is gone.
C " breakfast dad?"
George sits at table.
G " only time for a cuppa "
C " what about the bangers?"
G" have them cold tonight."
Theda, a lady in her 30's enters, the home help, who does a couple of mornings a week.
Th " morning Carrot "
C " hello Theda"
Theda goes into kitchen, Carrot is under dining table with cloth trying to rub out the chalk circle that Catweazle drew.
G " what are you doing?"
C " er...I spilt some milk"
George is sniffing milk bottle,
G " it's in here now"
C " what is?"
G " that smell"
C ( innocently) " is it?
G " I wonder if our drains are alright."
Carrot knows it's the smell of Catweazle.
Theda notices window broken.
Th " here, who did that?"
G " he did, larking about last night."

sddefault.jpg

Theda returns to kitchen, George gets up,
G " that window comes out of your pocket money."
Carrot puzzled, where has Catweazle gone?
In kitchen George looks at Theda, then nods in direction of washing machine.
G " good drying day today."
Th " yes Mr Bennett "
She's got the hint.

Carrot has walked upstairs, he sniffs, and sniffs again, then enters his bedroom.
He opens wardrobe to see Catweazle inside.

MV5BY2QyODEwNjQtMjM4OC00ZDg1LWI2NzQtY2M1ZDYyNDBhOTFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1MDYzNzI@._V1_QL75_UY28...jpg

C " look Catweazle this has got to stop"
CW " by what magic did thy find me?"
C " I followed my nose"
CW " your nose?"
C " where d'you go to last night anyway?"
CW " I found a little house, it smelt of chickens"
C " oh the old hen house in Home Field, thought they knocked that down"
CW " let me stay O Master"
C " what am I going to do with you? Don't know why I couldn't tell Dad about you last night."
Catweazle takes out his witch knife Adamcos from around his neck.
CW " thou has sworn on Adamcos, twas my magic, show me thine I entreat thee, thy electrickery "
C " alright "
Carrot goes over to table lamp and pulls cord, the lamp comes on.
C " there, happy now."
Carrot removes bulb and hands it to Catweazle.

catweazle_400x400.jpg

CW " oh, tis wondrous truly, shine tiny sun"
Catweazle pulls lamp cord, nothing of course happens, Carrot can't help but smile.
C " no, no, you have to put it in the lamp."
CW " where?"
C (points) " there"
Carrot can hear motor vehicle outside, he goes to window, George is in the Land Rover driving off.
C " I wonder if I dare"
CW " what?"
C" it's a good idea"

Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

Theda is in kitchen talking to Sam who is repairing the broken window.
Th " it stands to reason Sam, if he was in the house I'd have seen him when I first came in, wouldn't I?"
S " I don't care what you say, I'm sure I saw him, Carrot took him in, dressed all queer he was, like a monk"
Sam is tapping out the broken pane with a hammer.

images (1).jpeg

Th " mind you don't cut yourself."
S (knicking thumb on glass) " ooww!"
Theda smiles mischievously,
Th " I told thee to mind."

In the bathroom Carrot is running a bath, Catweazle nervously enters,
C " come in, shut the door."
Catweazle sees the toilet in the corner, with a chain hanging down. He grabs chain, and points to light, thinking it operates light, pulls it. The toilet flushes, poor Catweazle runs scared.
CW " aaarrghhh!"
C " it's alright, come back, come on,( points to robe), take that off"
CW (puzzled) " why?"
C " you don't want to get it wet."
CW " wet,( suddenly realising), NO NO, not in the water, do not put me in the water, I shall drown."
C ( laughing) " what, in that?"
CW " thy legless lizard, thy wriggling grub, thy beetle. "
C " no use calling me names, get in, I SAID GET IN"
Catweazle dips his toe in,
CW " aaarrghhh IT BURNS IT BURNS!!"
C " okay I'll put some more cold in"
CW " when I escape from here I'll cast such a spell."
Carrot adds cold water as Catweazle glares,
C " there that should be alright, get back in"

In the kitchen Theda can hear the splashing water.
Th" funny time to have a bath."

Catweazle is in, robe off, Carrot picks up the soap,
C " see it's lovely, you'll feel great after this."
Catweazle takes soap puzzled, Carrot shows him how to use it ,
C " got it? You do it, I'll get some clean towels , won't be a minute, don't go away"

MV5BNjllMTRjNTUtN2Q4OC00Yzc4LTgwMTUtNmJjNzYwMzdjNDAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Carrot grins and leaves bathroom and goes into airing cupboard to get towels. Unfortunately Theda turns up.
Th " here what are you up to? I thought you were having a bath."
C " er...I was, I mean I am."
Splashing noises are heard from bathroom, Theda goes in and SCREAMS as she sees Catweazle in bath.
CW " OUT WOMAN"
Catweazle stands, and climbs out of bath, grabs bathmat to wrap around his waist, as Theda just stands and screams.
MV5BNTRlNWRjZTItYmFiZi00ODFjLThhZWMtNmQwMDFmNjc0YzRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
MV5BY2YzNWE0NjMtYjk5Yi00YmRhLTk5YjItZjVjYjEzOWEwMWY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Catweazle removes Adamcos from around neck, and points knife in Theda's direction.
CW " look into my eyes, learn the mysteries, know that I am Catweazle sorcerer, Master of the black arts."
Theda's eyes grow heavy, she falls asleep where she stands.
C " crumbs! You've hypnotised her."
CW " I don the cloak of darkness, I am limbo, invisible. When thou wakes thou shall not see me, invisible "
Th" invisible "
CW " it is done, thou can wake."
Theda wakes,
Th" anything you want washing Carrot?"
C " fantastic "
Th" what d'you say?"
C " nothing."
Theda cannot see Catweazle or bathmat.
Th " where's that bathmat gone?"
She collects laundry from wicker basket and leaves.
CW " where is it?"
C " what?"
CW " my robe"
C " CRUMBS, she's taken it!"
Edited by HawkMan

In the garden Theda is hanging out the washing, including Catweazle's robe, Sam is with her. Carrot and Catweazle with a towel around his waist look on from the bushes.
CW " I will have it"
C " hang on, Sam may see you"
Carrot puts a restraining hand on him.
CW " unhand me acorn, I care not."
Catweazle breaks cover, runs up to line,and calmly removes robe.

MV5BMjhhNWZkNzctOWUwYi00ZTkyLWE5ZTMtYjE2ODFkYWJjMTRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Sam stares dumbfounded, Theda can't see a thing.
Catweazle runs back to Carrot.
S " the old monk"
Th " what?"
S ( pointing)" there, well you must have seen him"
Catweazle back with Carrot,
C " where are you going?"
CW " to my little house"
Catweazle runs off, Sam calls out.
S " Carrot you seen him didn't you?"
C " who?"
S " that old monk"
C " what old monk?"
S ( agitated)"Theda, you must have seen him, he had practically nothing on"
Theda looks worried for Sam and runs off crying out,
Th " Mr Bennett, Mr Bennett "
Carrot approaches,
S " you must have seen him"
C " steady on Sam"
S " he grabbed something from the line."
C " did he?"
S " then ran off"
Theda comes back with George. Theda carrying a stool.
G " now Sam, what's the matter, been at the cider again?"
S " I saw him I tell you"
Th" sit down Sam."
S " I don't wanna sit down."
G ( barks) " SIT DOWN "

MV5BNjA0ZjAyN2QtYTkyMy00N2FlLWEyYjctZmFiMWYyYjQyODYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Sam reluctantly sits,
S " are you trying to tell me that none of you seen him? But you were with me Theda"
G " calm down Sam"
S " Mr Bennett I'm not making any of this up. There's an old fella running around this farm half naked"
G " well, if I see him I'll tell him to go away, hmm?"
S " you mean it was a sort of dream?"
G" that's more like it Sam"
Th" you feeling better?"
Sam brushes away Theda's hand on his arm.
S " I don't know.....I suppose so."
G " good man, you've had some sort of hallucination if you ask me, nothing to worry about, you're alright now."
S " held up things a bit haven't I?"
G " you have a bit"
S " better go and work it off on something."
G " tell you what, you could try knocking down the old hen house."
S " alright Mr Bennett, I'll get the axe."
Sam trudges off, Carrot has the beginning of a grin on his face, George eyes him a bit suspiciously, then goes too.

Posted (edited)

Catweazle is in the henhouse getting into his robe and sneezing. Through the window he sees Sam walking towards hut carrying axe. Catweazle picks up length of rope, and ties one end to door handle, the other end to a hook in the wall.
Sam tries to enter but can't, he pulls and pulls at door.
The door flings open and Catweazle runs out brandishing his knife.

MV5BOGJmMWE0MzMtNzY0Ni00ODEyLTkzYmMtZGMyOWFmMWE0MDM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Sam stunned,
S " I must be going nuts!"
CW " I am invisible."
S " oh I wish you were."
Catweazle recites a magic spell in Latin to a perplexed Sam.
S ( angry) " don't use bad language at me"
Sam reaches out and touches Catweazle.
S " you ARE real, you're not a dream"
Catweazle runs back into henhouse, and shuts door, Sam tries to pull door open again, causing the whole rickety wooden hut to collapse.
Sam is on the grass, bits of wooden shack on top of him, Catweazle runs off, Sam stands and gives chase ,with axe in hand.
Carrot has viewed all this and runs off after both of them.
Deep into the woods ,in a clearing stands a derelict house, totally ramshackle, no windows or even flooring, just floorboards and dust and debris.

Catweazle slumps down on the remains of an old mattress, sad, lonely, and close to tears.
CW " treacherous boy, if I could only find somewhere to hide from men's eyes. I belong nowhere, nowhere "
Carrot arrives at the house a couple of minutes later. Catweazle is fast asleep, Carrot creeps up to him, then,
C " BOO !!"
Catweazle wakes startled,
C( shouts) " MAY YOUR TOES CURL UP AND DROP OFF LIKE DEAD LEAVES "
C " the same to you"
CW " where is the hunter?'
C " Sam? Miles away, given up by now"
CW " thou liest he is near"
C " no he's not"
CW " I know that he is thou ferret "
C " how?"
CW " I see him"
C" where?"
CW ( points at his forehead)" here."
Carrot gasps, Sam is approaching house,
C ," quick hide"

MV5BNjRkZTM4NzktN2VjYy00ZmUzLWFmNDctZGZmMDIxMWEyMmIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Carrot pushes Catweazle up the dilapidated staircase, and into a bedroom, or what's left of it. The floor is virtually gone, all except a bit of floor about two feet square next to doorway. Catweazle stands behind door on this bit of floor, looking down at the ground floor below as Sam enters still carrying axe.
S " what are you up to?"
C " playing"
S " what at?"
C " hide and seek"
S " oh....hey, who with?"
C " you"
S " very funny, sure you weren't looking for somebody?"
C " er..no"
Sam climbs the stairs, opens door to bedroom, Catweazle hiding behind it, then Sam goes back down.

MV5BNzM0ZjVjMDEtNTM5Zi00OTVmLTk5ZWMtYjQxZDNiMGE1MDM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

All Sam actually has to do is look straight up and he'll see Catweazle perched on that bit of floor, but he doesn't.
S " something funny is going on, it's all a bit above my head."

MV5BYTQ4N2UxYWUtNGRiYi00ZGUxLTk2OGQtZDJiZmNlNWE3NjI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Carrot is relieved as Sam heads out of the house.
S " I ain't daft you know, I'll get the old devil yet."
When the coast is clear, Carrot signals and Catweazle comes down and out the house into the woods, unfortunately Sam catches a glimpse of him running off, and gives chase.
S " hey you.....come back."

Catweazle runs , he comes to a fork on the path he is following, he goes right, Sam a few seconds later reaches fork, but he goes left. Another ten seconds and Carrot turns up , he goes right and ends up in a clearing in the heart of the wood.
The clearing is dominated by a large metal structure, a sign at the base of the structure says, ' Danger- War Department '
It is a water tank, about 15 feet tall, a large bowl like top, accessed by a ladder, the bowl supported by metal struts.
Carrot scratches his head puzzled,
C " Catweazle, it's alright he's gone"
download.jpeg

Catweazle's voice is heard from on high.
CW " here boy"
Catweazle, upper body sticking out of top of tank.
C " how did you get up there?"
CW " I climbed"
C " you can't go up there"
CW " why not?"
C " it's full of water"
CW " nay it is empty "
C " is it, but it belongs to the army."
CW " I see no soldiers, tis my castle."
C " Dad says it isn't safe"
CW " no arrow could pierce this, come up."
Carrot ascends ladder and climbs down into tank via a hatch, the tank has a top like a roof. It is indeed empty of water, but evidence that tramps may have slept in it. Junk scatters the inside of the metal tank, which is about 6 feet tall, so Catweazle comfortably can stand in it.
CW " welcome "
C " this is super."
CW " Saburac, one of the spirits of the brazen vessel brought me here. In his honour I have named it Castle Saburac, for it is a magic place"
C " Castle Saburac, yeah it's terrific."
CW " but wonder upon wonder, another comes"
C " another what?"
CW " the spirits brought him, see"
Catweazle takes out his toad Touchwood, first time Carrot sees it.
CW " my familiar, Touchwood. We will do great things, he and I, and thou boy. Now my magic is assured."

Cast;
Carrot.....Robin Davies
Catweazle.....Geoffrey Bayldon
George Bennett......Charles Tingwell
Sam....Neil Mccarthy
Theda....Marjie Lawrence
Edited by HawkMan

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Ace Of Wands and Timeslip another couple of thought provoking series. 

Off the top of my head and apart from the obvious time travel, some of the themes of Timeslip were global warming and environmental degradation, WEF-style totalitarian restructuring, cloning, longevity, cryogenics, abusive medical experiments. I think there was even a proto internet facility in one series.

Extraordinary teatime viewing for 1970/71.

• Like 1

i loved a series about a boy from space called "sky" not many remember it - it was way before sky tv by the way - think it was itv

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i loved a series about a boy from space called "sky" not many remember it - it was way before sky tv by the way - think it was itv

Yes I have it on dvd,  very odd, Sky was some sort of time traveller from future Earth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Made by HTV.

Interesting that it was broadcast in 1975. A year before "The Man Who Fell To Earth" was released.

Posted (edited)

S1 E3- THE CURSE OF RAPKYN

In Hexwood farm, George Bennett and son, Carrot are at the breakfast table. Carrot is secretly dropping bits of toast on the floor feeding Beelzeebub, his pet tortoise.
C " here.."
George is reading the newspaper hears this,
G " what Carrot?"
C " nothing "
G " more tea?"
C " no thanks "
Carrot picks up the tortoise and puts it on the table, hidden behind a tea cosy.
George lifts the cosy and stares disbelieving,
G " what's that doing here?"
C " nothing much"
G " put in on the floor. "
C " just getting him used to me"
G " rather you did it somewhere else. Where an earth did you get it?"
C " Sam got it for me, he's name is Beelzeebub "
G " Beelzeebub?"
C " hmm...he's my familiar "
G " your what?"
C " my familiar, witches have them"

MV5BYTE5MmIxOTEtMTFlZS00NTg5LWFhNzQtOWM2ODgwZGJhYjk4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

In Castle Saburac, Catweazle is using a pestle and mortar to mix up a potion....meanwhile Carrot shows George a book he's got about witchcraft.

MV5BMmRjNmE3YTYtYzE0My00ZWE4LTljODYtMDBmZDFlMmRlOTA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

C " it's a history of witchcraft, witches have familiars , they were sort of pets"
G " that's the latest craze is it?"
C " what d'you mean?"
G " magic....it was submarines last week "
C " it's jolly interesting "
G " it'd be nice if it worked. You could put a spell on Bill"
C " who's he?"
G " the bank manager, I've just had a very nasty letter from him about my overdraft "
Farmhand Sam enters kitchen.

MV5BMjUyNjEyYzMtMWFlMy00MjI2LWJhN2EtOGRlM2ZmOTZkNGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
S " sorry to bother you Mr Bennett, I reckon some of those heifers have got cystitis."
G ( wearily) " right I'll have a look."
S " bit of bad luck , especially after all that trouble we had with rats."
G " yes, it's getting like the plagues of Egypt. It's almost as if there's a curse on the place"
C( excited) " curse?"
G ( to Sam) " we have a budding wizard in the family......for this week anyway, come on Sam"
George and Sam leave, Carrot thumbs through book to index.
C " Caves...cults...ah..curses.....(reads ) the power of the evil eye..gosh...secret names were used to call up demons to destroy enemies. ( to tortoise) what d'you think Be-elzy? I bet Catweazle knows all about curses."
MV5BZmY5OGExMjQtZTM1ZS00ODJiLTlmZTQtNjQ5MTJjYzg3N2Y5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

In Castle Saburac, the water tank home of Catweazle, he has finished mixing his potion as Carrot climbs down into tank.
C " do you know anything about curses?"
CW " aye boy, I had them all in my book. Curses for everything, curses that will chill thy blood"
C " what book?"
CW " my magic book ( sadly), 900 years ago "
C " don't start that again, if our farm's got a curse on it can you uncurse it?"
CW " show me the curse and I will vanquish it."
C " don't know where to start....STUFFY!....Stuffy Gladstone, he runs the local museum. If Hexwood has a curse on it he can look it up. That place of his is full of old books."
Catweazle looks hopefully and smiles,
CW " old books ! Mayhap magic books"

Carrot runs off to the museum, Catweazle a little way behind. A country lane runs through the woods, Catweazle comes to it, and stops in awe, he sees a road marking on the road as the lane bends, it reads 'SLOW'. Bending down Catweazle studies the to him mysterious letters.
CW " tis a magic sign."

hqdefault.jpg

A car horn is heard, Catweazle jumps up in fear, a car passes down the lane, the occupants staring at him waving.
Catweazle waves back and laughs,
CW " swifter than the wild boar, and men sit inside them. Now all are magicians "

Carrot arrives at a gated mansion just outside the nearby village of Westbourne. The sign on the gate says, " Old Westbourne House and Folk Museum "
Inside, the curator Gladstone is addressing a group of schoolgirls, listening to his talk, including their stern looking lady teacher.
Gl " can you all see?"
Girls " yes Mister Gladstone "
Gladstone has a small statuette in front of him on the table. It's supposed to be two faced, unfortunately the head of this very old grey stone statuette is damaged and only one face remains.
Gl " Serranus the Romans called him, an ancient fertility god."
The schoolgirls titter and giggle, their teacher looks sternly at them.
Gl " originally had two faces, one on each side like Janus. Unfortunately one of them is missing. We're lucky to have him at all really, belongs to the British Museum. Professor Bonington arranged the loan. He's coming today to take him back to London."
The teacher notices one of her charges chewing.
Teacher ( sternly) " what are you eating?"
Gladstone looks up from the statuette and nervously stammers,
Gl " er....nothing nothing at all."

The teacher smiles weakly,  a sorry for interrupting smile.

tve20167-19700301-67.jpg
Meanwhile Carrot enters passing in the hallway of the museum a suit of armour, 1066 Norman armour, Catweazle has arrived at the gates outside and walks up the gravel driveway towards the front door.
x1080.jpeg
Carrot approaches Mr Gladstone as the girls and their teacher move off to wonder around the museum looking at various displays.
C " Mr Gladstone?"
Gl " yes"
C " I wonder if you can help me?"
Gl " well I will if I can "
C " my name is Edward Bennett from Hexwood Farm"
Gl " Hexwood farm, oh yes, that's partly 17th century, nice old place"
C " I'm doing this history project, and I thought I might as well do it about my home"
Gl " splendid, good idea"
C " I remember that interesting talk you did at school"
Gl " oh that's rather encouraging, I rather thought I'd laid a bit of an egg"
C " no....no"
Meanwhile in foyer of museum Catweazle gingerly enters, and sees the armoured figure standing, a mannequin of course,but Catweazle after tapping it to see it's a fake joyfully kicks it over.
CW ( laughing)" Ha ha, death to the Norman invaders"
Gladstone and Carrot run out on hearing the crash.
Gl ( angry) " did you touch the exhibit?"
C " I'm sure he didn't Mr Gladstone. "
Gl " you know this gentleman?"
C " er....yes, he's staying at the farm aren't you...er..Mr Brown?"
Catweazle looks sheepishly.
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile at the farm George Bennett is on the phone to his bank manager.
G " I see....when can I come and see you?"
Stern voice on phone, " this afternoon 3.30, it really is very pressing , you are £800 over your limit"
G " okay see you at 3.30...( phone down)...oh no, £800. ( Calling) Sam...Sam.."
Sam comes to hallway.
S " yes Mr Bennett "
G " erm...when you've got a moment get the steps will you, and have a look at the fuse box, some of the upstairs lights seem to be on the blink"

Back at the museum, Gladstone has righted the fallen armoured soldier display with Carrot's help.
Gl " no damage done, after all he was used to being biffed about wasn't he Mr Brown?"
Catweazle has disappeared,
Gl " he's a bit odd isn't he? Why does he wear that robe?"
C " well you see, he's worn it for years"
Gl " I wonder where he's got to."

Suddenly whistling can be heard, Catweazle is on all fours crawling around floor whistling.
C " what are you doing ?"
CW " I've lost him"
C " you haven't brought Touchwood have you?"
CW " he wanted to come"
C " you'll get us thrown out, he already thinks you're potty"
CW ( whistling)....come my boy, my merry boy."
Gladstone comes up," he really is very odd, what's he looking for?"
Suddenly screams are heard, the schoolgirls and their teacher, as Touchwood hops about among them.
Catweazle stands and runs towards the hubbub.
C " I think he's found it."

72372.jpg

Catweazle grabs Touchwood as the school party run out of museum.
Gladstone looks flustered,
Gl, " a frog?"
CW " tis a toad"
Gladstone regains a bit of composure.
Gl " where was I? Oh yes Hexwood. Tobias history of Westbourne is what we want."
Gladstone leads Carrot over to bookcase, Catweazle follows, stops in awe at the statuette and covers his eyes.
CW " Serranus, cast not thy eye upon me."
Gladstone has found the book he wanted and opens page about Hexwood.
Gl " here we are, ( reading), the new house at Hexwood has a pleasant aspect. One Rapkyn it is said, bound all who lived there in turmoil. But that is for the foolish. Well, that's all there is on Hexwood I'm afraid. "
C " bound all living there in turmoil? What does it mean?"
Gl " Tobias is often rather obscure I'm afraid."
Catweazle has been listening,
CW " thou flipperty gibbet, it is clear as spring water. That Rapkyn was a witch."
Gl " really Mr Brown how can you possibly know that?"

catw0103.jpg
Shutterstock_371607f.jpg

Catweazle has heaved himself up side of bookcase to reach top shelf, standing on lower shelf, he takes out Adamcos his knife and seems to be searching for a book, pointing knife at books. One by one he grabs a book and throws it to the floor, causing Gladstone some consternation.
Gl " Mr Brown I rather you didn't do that."
More books are hurled to floor, Gladstone getting very anxious.

MV5BN2FmOThjM2QtN2JiMy00ZWY4LTlhMzItZTQxNTY0Njc3MGZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
Gl "Mr Brown, the books are valuable."
Catweazle has found what he wants, climbs down with book in hand.
CW " my search is over....Rapkyn's book. The true power, the magic is within"
Catweazle calmly walks out with book.
C " don't worry Mr Gladstone I'll get it back"
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

Catweazle is in Castle Saburac marvelling at the book he has just acquired.
CW " enchanting, flying, disappearing spells, charms, curses, it is all here Touchwood. "
Carrot climbs down into tank.
C " come on hand it over"
CW " what?"
C " the book"
CW " it stays here with me in Castle Saburac."
C " it goes back to Stuffy Gladstone."
Catweazle looks deeply into Carrot's eyes and hypnotically says,
CW " cross me not my brother it stays here."
Carrot momentarily feels a bit sleepy, then snaps out of it.
C " now listen Catweazle."
CW " I have found thy curse...see the runes"
C " I can't read that"
CW " and I can't read thy scribble. Hark, Hexwood I blight thee, stones hold my power. One in the water, one in the tower."
C " sorry, I don't get it."
CW " thy mogwob! Stones hold thy power"
C " what stones?"
CW, " the stones this Rapkyn cursed and then hid."
C " why did he do that?"
CW " was his revenge my brother, he cursed them because thy house was built on his witches meeting place. He hid them to stop meddlers undoing his curse."
C " you mean, we've got to find a couple of stones hidden somewhere on the farm?"
CW " aye brother."

Carrot and Catweazle enter kitchen, there's a note on the kitchen table, Carrot reads it.
C " it's from Dad, we'll have to work fast, he'll be back at 6"
Suddenly a cuckoo noise is heard, a little wooden cuckoo pops out of the wall clock.
Catweazle is angered,
CW " release him!"
C " eh?"
CW " release the tiny cuckoo "
C " it's not a real one, listen Catweazle we've got to find this stone. "
They go into the living room.
C " one in the water, and one in the tower. But we haven't got a tower, what can he mean?"
Carrot is actually standing by the fireplace, and has a revelation.
C " the chimney perhaps he means the chimney."
Carrot peers up the dark chimney,
C "if it's up there we'll never find it"
CW " we must"
C " okay"
Carrot grabs hold of metal firegrate,
C " help me with this"
CW " what is it?"
C " never mind"
The two of them remove grate from bottom of chimney. Carrot then fetches a step ladder, and places it under chimney.
C " up you go"
CW " no"
C " don't worry it's not full of soot."
Catweazle shakes head vigorously,
C " why not?"
CW " there may be demons"
C " you think so?"
CW " yes"
C " alright, you hold the ladder"
CW( relieved) " ahh.."
Carrot climbs up steps into chimney.
C " what sort of stone am I looking for?"
CW " it'll have an eye on it"
Carrot descends,
C " this is hopeless, we'll never find it, I don't think there is one."
CW ( dismissively) " bah ! frogspawn"
Catweazle climbs gingerly up steps into chimney.
C " any demons?"
CW " not yet Nettleface"
C " if you want to go higher there's a sort of foothold."
CW " no need, it is here, I have found the stone."
C " hang on I'll get a hammer and chisel."
Carrot runs out , then back in a minute or so later with the tools, only to see Sam has entered room.
S " hello Carrot."
C " er...hello (loud) Sam, nice to see you SAM"
S " no need to yell, I'm not deaf. Have you seen the steps?"
C " what steps?"
S ( pointing) " those steps"
C " well you can't have them"
S " who said?"
C " I need them"
S " what for?"
C " it's a secret"
S " don't be daft"
Catweazle lifts himself quietly off steps and further up chimney as Sam takes step and leaves.
Carrot peers up chimney,
C " come down quick"
Soot rushes down chimney followed with a thud by Catweazle and more soot.

MV5BODE3MTgyMzItYzAzZi00MDUxLTkyNmYtZDNkMWRhZjYxYjEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

schedbarsch.png
Catweazle covered in soot holding stone.
CW ( mocking) " NO soot!? No soot!? I am like Shembartimof, black demon of the moon."
C " did you have to do that, look at the mess everywhere"
C " here , take the accursed stone"
Carrot studies dirty soot covered lump of stone.
C " are you sure this is it?"
CW ( angry) " WHAT !"
C " okay okay, let's give it a wash, and you while we're at it."
After cleaning stone, Carrot is in living room using a magnifying glass to study it.
C " it's ever so old, come and have a look."
Carrot doesn't know Sam has entered behind him carrying steps.
C " what does the runes say old Master "
S " eh?"
Carrot turns,
C " SAM!"
S " what's that old bit of stone?"
C " it's only a game Sam, witchcraft."
Catweazle enters and hurriedly, quietly departs for kitchen, Carrot sees this behind Sam, who heads off now towards kitchen.
C " where you going?"
S " to put the steps back."
C ( alarmed) " don't do that! I mean I'll do that."
Sam sees black soot all over carpet.
S " what's all this mess, you been up the chimney?"
C " not right up."
S " you won't half get it in the neck when your dad comes back. Okay I'm off."
Sam leaves , Catweazle comes back in,
CW " in and out like a weaver's shuttle."
C " nearly got caught that time. One in the water, one in the tower. One in the water?"
CW " has thou a well?"
C " brilliant!"
Edited by HawkMan

Outside Carrot and Catweazle look down the farm well.
C " looks a long way down, but there's only a bit of water at the bottom. Sure you'll be alright?"
CW " I ?! I am not going down."
C " oh go on, it'll be fun."
CW " I have the bone ache."
C " that's a poor excuse, get in the bucket."
CW " art thou afraid?"
C " yes"
CW " ah....Tut Tut Tut "

MV5BM2MxNmJiMzQtNjQ2Mi00NDU2LWJiYmQtMGY3NmJjM2IyZmNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Catweazle reluctantly climbs into bucket, Carrot unwinds rope, the bucket descends.
CW " slowly Nettleface "
C " can you see anything yet?"
CW " not yet....WAIT"
C (alarmed) " what?!"
Carrot in his eagerness to see down well lets go of rope. The bucket speeds to the bottom of well.
C " Catweazle...Catweazle..( croaking heard)...
Touchwood is he okay? Can you see the stone?"
CW ( from very bottom of well) " no, many little stars but no stone."
C " it must be down there somewhere."
CW " I cannot find it "
C " don't give up."
CW " tis dark, come lift me"
C " we've got to find it Catweazle."
CW " I am cold, lift me thy woodlouse."
C " okay get in the bucket."
Carrot winds up rope, bucket lifts.
CW " take care, take care "
C " stop moaning "
CW " slowly my brother."
C " don't worry, well at least we tried."
The bucket reaches the top, Catweazle is holding something.
CW " see, the stone"
C " great!"

x1080 (1) (1).jpeg

Again Carrot in his enthusiasm lets go of rope, bucket crashes back down.
CW " aaarrghhh......"
Later back indoors, the second stone is washed. The two stones fit together, previously one piece. Carved into the joined pieces is a face. The missing face of the statuette Serranus. They go to Stuffy Gladstone at the museum.

At the museum Gladstone has placed the two pieces on the statuette, completing the two faced Serranus.

MV5BY2U3OGIzNzAtMDEwYi00YzMyLThjMTItOTgyMTRkZjRkZGE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Gl " incredible, absolutely incredible, it fits, you see it all fits. Put the tape on , nice and tight."
Carrot holding packing tape, tapes the two pieces to the rest of the statuette.
Gl " you know Edward this really is a find in a million "
C " sorry I haven't got your book back yet"
Gl " oh, keep it, keep it, wait till old Bonington sees this "
C " I can't stay I've got to get back to the house, left it in a bit of a mess."

Back at the house Carrot is clearing up the mess, his dad George perplexed by this behaviour.

MV5BNGI1MTAyZWYtNjAzZS00OTU0LTgzNzAtZTgzNWJkMGE4ZDE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

G ( raised voice) " this is completely irresponsible and childish behaviour. The moment I'm out the house you're doing a mad thing like climbing the chimney."
C " I know it looks bad, but I had a good reason "
G " don't answer back, you're getting completely out of control Carrot."
The phone rings in the hallway, George storms out to answer it.
G ( phone) " Hexwood farm"
Gl " it's Gladstone here"
G " who?"
Gl " Cecil Gladstone, Westbourne museum, is that Mr Bennett?"
G " yes"
Gl " I suppose your Edward has told you about his amazing discoveries"
G " no , what amazing discoveries?"
Gl " missing pieces of the statue Serranus. He found them at the farm apparently."
Sitting next to Gladstone at the museum is an earnest looking gentleman, Professor Bonington.

MV5BNWI3YjcyNjEtMDY2OC00NDdiLWEzYTEtYzQ1MmI5Mjk4MTE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Gl " I have Professor Bonington here now, Roman Britain, British Museum you know. There's no doubt his department will make you an offer. I will say in the region of £800"
G ( shocked) " what?!"
Gl " possibly more, is it alright to keep them here?"
G " I suppose so"
Gl " splendid, you'll be hearing direct from the British Museum, goodbye. "
George puts the phone down stunned.
G ( to himself) " £800!"
George runs back to Carrot all smiles.
G " Carrot, what an earth did you find?"

At Castle Saburac Catweazle is thumbing through Rapkyn's book, he turns to Touchwood ,
CW " this Rapkyn was a master, its all within these pages Touchwood, here is our way back."

Cast;
George Bennett....Bud Tingwell
Carrot.....Robin Davies
Catweazle......Geoffrey Bayldon
Sam......Neil Mccarthy
Gladstone.....Peter Sallis

Posted (edited)

S1 E4 - THE WITCHING HOUR

Farmhand Sam and Carrot are in a country lane, on Lulu , the Hexwood Farm tractor, a hooting noise behind them as a car tries to pass. The driver, a Miss Bonnington impatient as she leans out the window.
SB " hey..move...move.."

MV5BNTM3OWJjZDYtNDg0NS00YjU5LTgyYzUtY2MyN2IxMjViZDJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Carrot turns to Sam,
Ct " it's her again"
SB " I'm in a hurry "
Sam ( to Ct) " well we ain't "
Carrot laughs as Susan Bonnington continues to press horn.
S " miss bloody Bonnington, I can't stand her"
Ct " no neither can I "
The tractor pulls off the lane and into a field, the car a Rolls Royce passes.
S " what does she want anyway, always hanging around "
Ct " she's coming for lunch"
S " oh is she,"
Carrot jumps off of tractor,
S " where are you off to?"
Ct " nowhere special "
Carrot runs off into woods.
Robin Davies is Carrot and Neil McCarthy is Sam

MV5BNWYxNmI1YzMtMGE3NS00ODMzLThlMWQtMGVjM2NhZWRmMjQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Carrot arrives at Castle Saburac, the water tank home of Catweazle. He climbs up ladder, through hatch and down into tank, no sign of Catweazle. Touchwood is there, Catweazle's toad.
Ct " morning, where's the boss?"
Carrot gazes at Touchwood,
Ct " wish I could speak basic toad., well where is he?"

Catweazle is in the forest eating berries off of trees, he sees a snail, picks it up, letting it sit in his hand.
C " thou horned imp, always at home, born wearing thy destiny. I have no shell, no armour, but on my back 900 years. There must be a way, I came by magic and by magic I will return "
Geoffrey Bayldon is Catweazle.
MV5BZTE0MjAwZGQtZTRlMy00MzZlLWE3YTItMzIzYTg1YWUwNmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

At Hexwood, Susan Bonnington is lunching with George Bennett, Carrot's dad. They chat as they eat.
SB " gave us a jolly good run, viewed him across Ganly Heath, through Meddington Woods, then we lost him. Daddy was furious, he really is awfully keen. Why don't you hunt George?"
G " I don't really have the time"
SB " you really ought to, it's great fun "
Carrot enters dining room,
G " oh there you are, what time do you think this is?"
Ct " I was in the woods "
G " I told you last night Miss Bonnington was coming to lunch, can't you remember anything "
SB " oh he saw me anyway, tractor held me up in the lane. Thought it was terribly funny didn't you Edward "
Carrot stifles a smile,
G " go and get washed, put a clean shirt on"
Ct " yes Dad"
Carrot leaves as Miss Bonnington says,
SB " very difficult age for boys George "
In his bedroom Carrot picks up pet tortoise Beelzebub,
Ct " beats me what Dad sees in her be- elzy I think she's awful "
Bud Tingwell is George, June Jago is Susan Bonnington.

MV5BMGZhNGJiOTEtNzVkMS00NjU4LThlY2ItMzUyNGE2N2NkMjdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Carrot dressed more smartly is finishing his meal as George and Susan chat.
G " coffee Susan?"
SB " thanks..I say that boy's hair needs a jolly good cut."
G " yes it does "
SB " nearly long enough to take him with me this afternoon ( laughs)"
G " when do you have to go?"
SB " plenty of time, my appointment is not until 4"
G " splendid "
SB " masses to talk about "
G " we have indeed "
Ct " may I be excused Dad"
G " yes I suppose so"
Carrot gets up,
G " Edward..."( nods in Susan's direction)
Ct " goodbye Miss Bonnington "
SB " goodbye Edward, don't forget the hair"
Ct " no I won't "

In Castle Saburac Catweazle has placed logs in his brazier,

C " now for the fire"
Catweazle picks up a couple of sticks and starts rubbing them together hoping for a spark to light his fire. Carrot climbs into tank.
Ct " I didn't know you were in the boy scouts"
C " disturb me not thy brother I make the fire of time"
Ct " fire of time? What are you trying to do?"
C " return to my own time "
Ct " I wish you'd drop this stupid idea about the past "
Catweazle not having luck with the fire , Carrot takes box of matches out of pocket,
Ct " here have a match"
Catweazle puzzled shakes box, hears matches inside box, then shakes box over brazier.
Ct " no no, here I'll show you "
Carrot lights match, Catweazle in awe and terrified at the same time.
C " OH LUCIFER! OH MORNING STAR, truly thou art my master "
Carrot lights fire ,
C " oh thou art truly great, can thou conjure fire at will?"
Ct " sure it's easy"
MV5BMDIwZGI4MDItZTliOC00M2Y0LTkxOWEtMWEyNmI2NWZkY2E2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1MDYzNzI@._V1_.jpg

Carrot lights another one,
Ct " you have a go"
Catweazle lights match, and puts it to his ear.
C " the spirit whispers" ( blows out light)
Carrot takes back box.
C " give them to me"
Ct " no I don't think so"
C " fire is power, fire is spirit , give me the little sticks"
Ct " no you shouldn't play with matches it's too dangerous "
C " I beseech thee"
Ct " tell you what"
C " yes master"
Ct " I'll give you the whole box if you do something for me"
C " verily verily thy Prince of Fire, what must I do"

Ct " I don't know where to start really. I know we're in some sort of jam"
C " jam?"
Ct " with the farm, I wish I could explain. I know how desperate Dad must be , but money isn't everything is it. This woman has got pots of dough"
C ( puzzled)" pots of dough?!"
Ct " she's always hanging around Dad, and if he marries her just to save the farm life won't be worth living. She's bossy she shouts at everyone. Sam hates her and...."
C " slowly brother slowly "
Ct " sorry Catweazle, I want her to go, I'll do anything to get rid of her"
C " is a shrew most like"
Ct " trouble is how do I get rid of her"
C " there are many ways to rid thyself of meddlers many spells, Rapkyn will know"
Catweazle picks up his magic book.

MV5BNDc4NDNkN2ItMmVhMC00YTAyLTk5MjktOTlmYzE0NTE1MzA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

C " she will be blasted like the riven oak, drowned in sulphur, torn by whirlwinds "
Ct " couldn't we just scare her a bit"
C " ah here, (reading) to spite thine enemy make thee a mannequin of wax, burn thy garlic, and at a striking of a church bell at the seventh hour take thee a long pin and pierce thy image thoroughly"
C " sounds a bit final doesn't it"
C " aye it does "
Ct " listen Catweazle don't you think we should think of something else "
C ( reads)" provide thyself with any ring, thing or knick- knack of thy enemy and tie it to thy doll"

Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

At the farm Susan is being escorted to her Rolls Royce by George,
SB " I really will do my best George, if not I'll phone you"
G " it's very kind of you, I'll keep my fingers crossed "
SB " don't worry George.....oh silly old me I forgot the eggs"
They go back into the farmhouse, Carrot and Catweazle come out of barn where they were hiding. Catweazle fearful as they approach car.
Ct " come on , it's alright it's only an old car, it won't bite you"
They both hurriedly enter car, looking for knick- knacks. Susan and George come back, Carrot runs out and back into barn, Catweazle not so quick. He's trapped, he hides on floor in back of car.
Susan places punnet of eggs on front passenger seat.
SB" how much do I owe you "
G " oh no"
SB " please, I shan't be able to ask you again"
G " certainly not "
SB " very well George thank you. See you tonight "
She drives off with Catweazle in the back. Carrot gets on his bike and is in pursuit.

In Westbourne village Susan Bonnington parks her car outside hairdressers and walks in. Receptionist is on phone,
Audrey( phone) " got to go now Fred, Queen of Sheba is coming in"
Susan enters,
Au" good afternoon Miss Bonnington "
SB " haven't time for a shampoo and set today Audrey just a trim"
SB " got a date have you "
Carmen Cryan is Audrey

MV5BZDJjZjFlYjMtYTJlMS00NjVmLTg5NGUtZmVkYTk1MjUwODkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Susan sits at salon chair indicated by assistant,
" afternoon Miss Bonnington just a trim is it?"
SB " yes"
Sitting in the next chair is Mrs Willoughby.
SB " afternoon Mrs Willoughby "
Mrs Willoughby seems pretty horrible!!
Mrs W " girl ! Where's that coffee I asked for "
Outside Carrot opens the car door for Catweazle.
Ct " you can come out now."
Catweazle staggers out,
Ct " enjoy the ride?"
C " nay a nightmare, trees running past like storm clouds, I'm sick"
Ct " did you get anything?"
C " she was protected by Lucifer "
Catweazle holds a little doll, a horned imp that was hanging from the rear view mirror.
Ct " you mean we can't use that as a thing or knick- knack?"
C " nay, it is a charm"
Ct " back to square one, she's in there"(points)

MV5BZjhlNmZhYTYtMzQ2OC00ODE3LWE2YWMtNWY1MTkxNWFjMmI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
Carrot and Catweazle look through window of hairdressers,
C ( shocked) " a torture chamber!"
Ct " no it's a hairdressers, where they cut people's hair "
C " monstrous hair is magic hair is strength "
Ct " er..yes of course "
C " remember Samson, who hath thy hair has power over thee "
Catweazle and Carrot both realise that they have found the answer, they both smile and nod.
Inside Susan to Mrs Willoughby,
SB " you'll be at the meeting Mrs Willoughby?"
MrsW " I certainly will "
SB " we can look forward to a long session then"
MrsW " there's no need to be rude "
Some of Mrs Willoughby's hair being cut is falling onto the shoe of the assistant, she shakes the hair off, then kicks it under Susan's chair.
Ruth Kettlewell is Mrs Willoughby.
MV5BNDNkYTEwYmEtOGVlYi00NjIwLTg2YzYtODBiNGMwMTEyNDMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Carrot enters salon,
Ct " may I speak to Miss Bonnington please it's urgent "
Aud " she's over there "
Ct " thanks "
Catweazle meanwhile has entered the salon side door, through back room and is standing awaiting cue from Carrot at back of salon.
Carrot goes up to Susan,
SB " good lord...Edward "
Ct " afternoon Miss Bonnington, Mrs Willoughby "
SB " what d'you want?"
Ct " well you see er..it's er...like this "
Carrot nods to Catweazle, who steps forward,
C " FOOLISH WENCHES..."
MV5BNTVlZTQ5NTktMDNkOS00OGZjLWE0YTEtZWU5NjQzODliN2M3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Everyone looks astonished as Catweazle continues,
C (dancing a jig)" buzz went the bumblebee, buzz went the fly, eating the honey, as do I!"
The ladies start to scream, Audrey runs to phone,
Audrey " I'll get the police"

C( singing and dancing) " buzz went the bumblebee buzz went the fly, eating the honey as do I"
In the confusion Carrot grabs a fistful of hair from under Susan's chair and runs out.
Catweazle runs out too, the two of them scarper, Carrot on his bike, Catweazle running behind.

Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

Back at Castle Saburac Catweazle has made a wax doll of Susan Bonnington, hair attached to it.

MV5BZmQ1YWZkZTEtZjY0NS00ZjRhLTk5NjAtZTFmNDVhNWUwZGZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Ct " I do hope we're doing the right thing. Have to go through with it now. It looks quite like her."
C " it will serve"
Ct " you're sure the new spell will be okay "
C " it will be okay if that is thy wish"
Ct " I suppose it's better than piercing with a long pin"
C " very well...spots it shall be.... (mischievously)...not boils?"
Ct " no just spots, all over like heat lumps. Remember what Rapkyn said, at the striking of the church bell. You can hear it from here"
C " aye my brother I have it marked I will remember"
Ct " at 7 O'clock tonight "
C " aye, the magic number "
Ct " I know you'll do your best"
C" and the little firesticks?"
Carrot hands Catweazle one match.
Ct " one on account, the rest if it works"

George is walking through the farmyard as Carrot arrives on his bike.

MV5BMTA0NjE2NGUtZjk5ZC00N2QzLWJkMTUtZjJkMmRjNzE4MTU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

G " Carrot I want a word with you "
Carrot dismounts from bike,
G " what's the matter?"
Ct " what d'you mean Dad?"
G " you seem sort of....well if anything is wrong or worrying you, let me know and I'll try and sort it out"
Ct " yes Dad"
G " for instance what have you got against Susan Bonnington?"
G " nothing "
G " come on Carrot why don't you like her?"
They go into the house,
G " I said why don't you like her"
Ct " I don't know Dad"
G " there must be a reason "
Ct " I just wish she didn't come here"
G " but why, you're so rude to her, you make it so obvious you don't like her"
The cuckoo clock strikes 7,
G " the witching hour "
Ct " what did you say?"
G " she'll just be going in, I hope it goes well"
Ct " the witching hour!?"
At Castle Saburac Catweazle strikes the match as he hears church bell.
C " five, six seven...oh wood of fire flower for me"
He lights brazier,
C " see how quickly the spirit comes"

Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

G " Council meets at seven, hope she can swing it"
Ct " I don't understand "
G " I've told you haven't I?"
Ct " what about?"
G " those sheds I want to put up and having to get the council's permission. That's why I've been so puzzled by your behaviour to Miss B"
Ct " what d'you mean "
G " she's on the council, one of the leading lights, that's why I've been making such a fuss of her"
Ct " oh no"
G " now what's wrong?"
Ct " I thought you and Miss B were erm..."
G " you thought Miss B and I were going to....?"
Ct " YES!".
G ( laughs) " Carrot of course not, she's just trying to push my building plans through that's all "
Ct " oh crumbs "

MV5BZDk5OGU1MGUtMmM4Ni00ZWRhLWJkMDEtMmE2YmM1ZmE3ZTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Catweazle is holding wax doll over fire,
C " be thou my brother's enemy, now thy skin shall spotted be, as spotted as the Mildew tree, spotted spotted be "

MV5BNjMwYjk4NjAtNWRmMi00MzJjLWI3ZTUtNDIxMzkzMDliMjE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
Later that evening, George pacing the room, Carrot looks decidedly uneasy at the dining table. What has he done!
G " I'm getting worried it's after ten"
Ct " she may have been taken ill"
G " that's a cheerful thing to say. Never get it passed those old dodderers without her"
Ct " wouldn't you Dad"
G " no, they've an inbuilt resistance to change "
Ct " I wish you told me"
G " don't see what difference telling you would have made"
Ct " I don't think she's going to turn up"
G " you are being cheerful, why not?"
Ct " Dad, there's something I have to tell you, I know it sounds fantastic but you've got to know the truth"
Carrot feels awful, but he must spill the beans, but suddenly.....a car horn is heard, George rushes to the door.
G( voice) " Miss B!"
Susan and George come in,
SB " tough meeting but I swung them round "
G " Susan you're a brick, isn't she?"
Ct " ...er yes"
SB " golly , I could do with a drink"
G " you've earned it, Carrot have a cider, let's all celebrate "
SB " what did you call him?"
G " Carrot "
SB " that's nice, much better than Edward , mind you things were made easy for me "
G " what d'you mean?"
SB " my arch enemy Mrs Willoughby wasn't there"
G " wasn't there?"
SB " you wouldn't believe it, she's suddenly gone down with measles "
Ct ( stunned) " measles!?"
SB " funny that, so sudden, a few cases in the village of course, but she was perfectly alright this afternoon in the hairdressers. I hope I don't catch it."
MV5BMTk4MjA2YzUtY2EwZS00NWU1LWFlNmItMjQ5ODI3ZWQ5ZWViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Carrot brings out of his pocket, unobserved a handful of hair, smiling, it's not Miss Bonnington's colour.
They all drink,
G " cheers"
SB " cheers George, cheers Carrot"

At Castle Saburac,
C " and now brother the little sticks, it was our bargain "
Carrot hands over matches.
C " we vanquished thy enemy "
Ct " you really did make it work didn't you"
C " together brother, we did it together "
Ct " I never really thought it would come off"
C " Rapkyn's magic is very strong "
Ct " could have been a disaster. You better give me Miss Bonnington...I mean Mrs Willoughby "
Carrot laughs as he takes back wax doll.
Ct " just in case you decide to have a practice. You must be very careful next time Catweazle "
C " next time? Hex time, from thy time to my time...( to toad)...eh Touchwood ? time we got home"
THE END

Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

S1 E5- THE EYE OF TIME

On a lake near to Hexwood farm Carrot and Catweazle fish. Catweazle pulls a fish out and adds it to his collection, Carrot looks glum.
Meanwhile at the farm , Sam the hired hand is sitting in a jeep waiting for his boss, Carrot's dad George Bennett, he is reading the horse racing page in the paper. George gets in .
G " you'll never get your sports car that way Sam. Carrot has disappeared again, I don't know where he gets to"
They drive off.

MV5BZTFiYmUzYTYtMTUwNi00MWFkLTg2NDItOTdmMWNiYzMwMTBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

Geoffrey Bayldon is Catweazle.

MV5BZmU2MzFkZmQtN2JmOS00ZTA0LWEwNDgtMWZjMmZhMTJiMmIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Back on the lake Catweazle catches another fish.
C " another fish"
Ct " not another one"
C " number 12"
Ct " I haven't caught anything, they're all at your end. Wouldn't like to change ends would you?"
C " so be it"
They carefully stand and swap ends and resume fishing.
Ct " I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't put a spell on my fishing rod"
C " mayhap...mayhap "
Ct " have you"
C " no"
Ct " on your own then"
Catweazle catches yet another fish.
C " aha...aye I have"
Catweazle places this particular fish on the boat deck away from the others.
C " this is he...the 13th fish"
Ct " let's eat, I'm starving "
Robin Davies is Carrot.
MV5BOTI5NTRkNzktOTk1ZC00YWUwLWE3NmItZDFmYjk5OGFmZTJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Carrot takes a couple of bananas from his bag, hands one to Catweazle, who looks at it puzzled, then tries to bite into it without peeling it.
MV5BZGZiYzA3YWQtMGViMC00ODI3LWI0NDEtZDNhZTc4MDQ3MWIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Ct " no no , give it here"
Carrot peels it and hands it back half peeled.
Catweazle takes the skin and puts that in his mouth.
Ct "no no , eat the white bit in the middle "
Carrot sees Catweazle is looking admiringly at the 13th fish.
Ct " what's so special about that fish"
C " the 13th"
Ct " it's unlucky?"
C " always you mock me brother in magic"
Ct " no I don't honest "
C " thou know that for us of the dark path 13 is very good luck"
Ct " oh..er .of course...luck is a funny thing"
C " aye "
Ct " Sam's lucky for instance...well sometimes "
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

In Westbourne village George and Sam arrive in the jeep. Sam gets out outside the bookies.
G " okay Sam in you go, at least I know where to find you. I'll be at the bank for about thirty minutes I'll pick you up here "
S " thanks boss"
George drives off, Sam starts towards bookmakers shop, but as soon as George is out of sight he instead heads to the shop next door- MADAM ROSA'S FORTUNE TELLING PARLOUR- the sign says.
Charles Tingwell is George.

MV5BMjkyZjZmMTMtODdjYS00NjU3LTljNzAtMzkyZDAyMzkxMjI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1MDYzNzI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

A bit later Sam sitting opposite Madam Rosa who stares into a crystal ball.
S " any luck"
MR " sshh"
S " how about Newmarket?"
MR " the crystal goes cloudy....no wait..Black Beauty"
Hanging nearby is a birdcage with a parrot in it.
Parrot " 6 to 4 the field "
MR " be quiet Laura"
Pt " 4 to 1 bar one"
MR " I said be quiet , I see no more, the light goes dim"
S " kettledrum royal court and black beauty, well I got three good 'uns anyway. I'll go next door and put them bets on"
Sam gets up,
S " bye Madam Rosa, see you next week "
MR " may the stars bring you happiness "
Sam leaves.
Neil McCarthy is Sam.

sddefault (1).jpg
As soon as Sam leaves Madam Rosa picks up the phone.
In the next door betting shop the phone rings.
Manager ( phone) " Westbourne turf accountant "
MR " Albert "
Al " hello love"
MR " another customer coming down "
Al " okay Betty ta"
Hattie Jacques is Madam Rosa, Ellis Dale is Albert
MV5BNGFhYWY3ZmUtMGY4Yy00MDcxLTk0MTktNjcxMmExYWNhOWViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
sddefault.jpg

Sam is about to go into the bookies when he hears a tooting, George is back in the jeep.
G " Sam get in"
S " but I.. "
G " get in"
S " I haven't had a chance to...."
G " you want to walk back then?"
Reluctantly Sam gets in , they drive off.
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

Out of the lake now, Catweazle and Carrot are sitting by a fire cooking the fish, all 13 are cooked but Catweazle has placed the 13th to one side, on the grass, and says,
C " from the water into the fire, from the fire into the earth, from the earth into the air"
Ct " are you going to eat that?"
C (shocked) "eat the 13th fish, you art a madman "
Ct " sorry "
C " tell me more"
Ct " what about "
C " the swift horses and the money on their noses and the ....er..bettering "
Ct " betting "
C " betting "
Ct " well it's sort of like guessing really, which horse will win. If you guess the right one you win some money"
C " but you would know the winning horse "
Ct " no I wouldn't "
C " I would "
Ct " don't be daft, how could you?"
C " with the eye of time brother (points to own forehead) with the eye of time "
Suddenly a jeep comes along the muddy track.
Ct " it's dad, quick hide, in the tent"

George and Sam walk up to Carrot, Catweazle hiding in the tent Carrot has put up.
G " any luck?"
Ct " yeah caught a lot"
G" good man, I told you all you needed was a decent rod"
George opens flap of tent, luckily not seeing Catweazle crouching down.
G " this looks very cosy ( closes flap) before you go you will put that fire out Carrot?"
Ct " yes dad"
G " leave some fish in the lake"
Ct ( laughs) " yes dad"
George wanders back up path to jeep.
Sam talks softly to Carrot
S " not going back to the farm yet are you?"
Ct " no why"
S " well I wonder if you can do me a favour before this afternoon "
Ct " put some bets on you mean"
S " how did you know?"
Ct " (smiles) " 'cause it's Saturday "
S " will you then, the money is already there "
Ct " thought you'd already been to the village "
S " yeah but I didn't have time"
Carrot gets notebook and pencil from bag and Sam dictates.
S " Lingfield 2.30 kettledrum, 3.15 royal court, and Newmarket 4 o' clock black beauty, and they're all five bob each way"
Ct " got that"
George shouts from jeep,
G " come on Sam stop nattering "
S " coming Mr Bennett , ...you'll get them on in time?"
Ct " yeah don't worry "
S " and if they come in usual commission right?"
Ct " right"
Sam notices 13th fish lying in the grass.
S " gonna eat that?"
Ct " er...no"
S " then why cook it?"
George calls over again,
G " come on Sam"
Sam hurries back to jeep.

x1080.jpeg
Carrot opens tent flap,
Ct " you can come out now Hiyawatha "
Catweazle emerges,
C " what plot is this?"
Ct " plot?"
C " thou was writing for him "
Ct " oh..Sam's bets for this afternoon "
C " oh..the horses that will win"
Ct " if he's lucky"
C " this foolish Sam, does he have the eye of time?"
Ct " no I don't think so "
C " give me thy paper...nay I will not harm it "
Carrot gives Catweazle the paper.
C " where do the swift horses run?"
Ct " Lingfield and Newmarket "
Catweazle places paper on his forehead.
Ct " have you got a headache?!"
C " quiet brother quiet "
C ( eyes closed) " o spirits of the brazen vessel I call on thee. Lingfield...Lingfield..a multitude roaring like the sea...men wave their arms...many spells are spoken....the horses thunder passed a white post. A bird flies through the rain, the moon turns blue over the mighty oak..the noise dies away..it is done..( opens eyes)..it is done"
Ct " well, who's going to win"
C ( angry) " thou ass eared turnspit, didst thou not follow me?!"
Ct " I thought you were going to tell me the winners "
C " the eye of time is shut to thee , take thy paper, I go back to castle Saburac and better company "
Catweazle stalks off, really angry, Carrot looks bemused.
Ct " ...but..but .Catweazle "
Edited by HawkMan

Posted (edited)

In the yard of the farm George looks around,
G " Sam....Sam...where the devil has he got to?"

Sam and Carrot are in the tv room watching the racing. Sam shakes his head as his horse came in last.
S " rainbird who would have thought it, Madam Rosa gave me royal court "
Ct ( muttering)" rainbird....a bird flying through the rain...what else did he say...the moon turns blue over the mighty oak"
S " mighty oak? That runs at 4 at newmarket "
Ct " are you sure Sam, there really is a horse called mighty oak"
S " are you alright Carrot?"
Ct " moon turns blue...is there a horse called blue moon?"
S " yeah, it runs at 3.15 Lingfield "
Ct " fantastic he can do it "
S " I wish you'd tell me what you're on about "
Ct " Sam you gotta change those bets. Blue moon is going to win at Lingfield and mighty oak at Newmarket "
S " Madam Rosa gave me kettledrum and black beauty "
Ct " I don't care they're not going to win "
George enters,
G " turn the tv off now!..Sam sometimes I wonder why I bother to employ you"
Ct " er....I asked him in dad"
G " for heavens sake why..you know we've a lot of work to do. You could lend a hand instead of watching telly "
George and Sam leave,
G " and Carrot have you collected the eggs yet?"
Ct " no dad"
G " well do it now"
Carrot waits until they've gone and then runs upstairs to his bedroom, opens drawer and pulls out money box and takes out some money. He picks up his pet tortoise Beelzebub.
Ct " we're going to make a thousand pounds be- elzy, Catweazle is going to tell us all the winners..we can't lose"

Carrot and Catweazle are in a field, they walk up to a scarecrow that is wearing a raincoat and a hat.
MV5BYzJjNzY5NjctNTk4Mi00ZGU2LTlmZWMtZGQ1MTFlN2QzMDM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
A few minutes later Catweazle and Carrot arrive at a bus stop in a country lane, Catweazle wearing the scarecrow gear.
C " why must I wear this thing"
Ct " you look very nice"
C " I am no longer Catweazle "
Ct " that's the whole idea. It's jolly good, waterproof you know "
C " proof against water? Then I will wear it. But I will not go with thee"
Ct " don't be difficult "
C " the past calleth I must return "
Ct " don't start that again "
C " I fear the people and the enchanted chariot "
Ct " there's a big one coming in a minute "
C " I do not trust thee"
Ct " we're brothers in magic remember "
C " if you say so, you who mock the eye of time "
Ct "not anymore you're top magician as far as I'm concerned, truly thou art the greatest"
C " it is well said"
Ct " you'll come?"
C " mayhap...mayhap "
Ct " please Catweazle "
C" you sing a different song now"
Ct " it's important you see, special magic and I can't do it on my own...here comes the bus"
A single decker bus pulls up, Catweazle puts fingers in his ears frightened, but Carrot pushes him on bus and follows.
C ( fearful) " bus...bus....busbusbus "

Edited by HawkMan