York Valkyrie Squad 2024

10 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah I think no doubt Huddersfield have made some on field improvements with the signings they have made in the off season. I still think the treatment of players still leaves a lot to be desired. They had meetings with all their players about pre-season, standard stuff, telling them areas they need to be working on and gave them fitness plans etc for the upcoming season. Just over a week later they got a group of them in (At least a couple of the group played for York last night) and told them they were no longer required. Its really no way to treat young lasses or anyone for that matter. I personally feel they need to up their game massively off the field.

That really doesn't sound good at all......

55 minutes ago, BroncoFan said:

I would assume that would be TLeesha Frederick Maynard, prop who I’m keen to see her progress.

Yeah looking at the squad posted above it is. She was really impressive, York were constantly on the front foot when she took the ball in. I don't know anything about her but if she is putting that sort of performance in on a regular basis she can't be a million miles off getting a look in at first team level and you feel she is one of those players who if she were playing somewhere else like Huddersfield she would already be a first team regular.

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah looking at the squad posted above it is. She was really impressive, York were constantly on the front foot when she took the ball in. I don't know anything about her but if she is putting that sort of performance in on a regular basis she can't be a million miles off getting a look in at first team level and you feel she is one of those players who if she were playing somewhere else like Huddersfield she would already be a first team regular.

T'Leesha actually played for Hudds in the WSL last year, on loan from York when the Giants were short for a match.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 14:59, unapologetic pedant said:

On the subject of Huddersfield, 

Somebody called Planet Sport has been named as the main sponsor of the women's team. Seems like a step forward. Precisely what it entails is hard to ascertain, with the announcement couched in impenetrable corporate verbiage.

Sample -

"Planet Sport are partnering with them as primary shirt and training kit sponsors. The partnership will support Huddersfield Giants' dedication to raising the profile of women's RL and comes as part of a package of branding and hospitality for both the men's and women's fixtures in 2024"

The CEO of Planet Sport declared himself "incredibly excited about being lead sponsor" and "delighted to be playing a part in their journey".

Can only be good news I think so well done Giants.

Will be interesting to see how they go against Leeds, I don’t expect them to win but I am hoping they are competitive and the days of conceding 70 are over.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

5 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Can only be good news I think so well done Giants.

Will be interesting to see how they go against Leeds, I don’t expect them to win but I am hoping they are competitive and the days of conceding 70 are over.

Ive not really kept track of the injuries etc at Leeds but looking at their squad they seem to be using this game as a bit of a run out for some of their squad players. Have they already qualified for the next round? I can't remember the format.

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

We're really going to see which clubs really value, and see value, in having a competitive women's side, and those who don't.

I do think most teams that are running them do see the value but seeing the value and actually been able to put together a competitive team are two very different things with 3/4 teams able to hoover up all the talent. It's going to be like that for a few years, at least until some other teams are able to start paying players. On the note of been competitive it looks like Bradford have at least managed to raise a team for tomorrows trip to London which must have been a worry after having to call off their game the other week. Its essentially a League 1/League 2 standard team on a bit of a hiding to nothing but it would have been a worse look not fulfilling the fixture.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 12:25, The Blues Ox said:

Ive not really kept track of the injuries etc at Leeds but looking at their squad they seem to be using this game as a bit of a run out for some of their squad players. Have they already qualified for the next round? I can't remember the format.

46-6 with 20 minutes to go. Giants squad numbers suggest they are near full strength and as above looks like Leeds used the game to give some fringe players a run. I didn't think that the Giants would bridge the gap but I thought they would be a lot closer than it looks. Still early season though.

• Like 1

Yes it looks like only Lois Naidole & Katy Fisher were out and strangely Ellie Oldroyd on the bench.

i do think they will improve.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

3 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Yes it looks like only Lois Naidole & Katy Fisher were out and strangely Ellie Oldroyd on the bench.

i do think they will improve.

Thats a shame as I think Lois V Amy could have been an interesting battle. One of the games greats who may be in her last season against someone who has the potential to play at the very top levels of the game.

On 06/04/2024 at 17:20, The Blues Ox said:

I do think most teams that are running them do see the value but seeing the value and actually been able to put together a competitive team are two very different things with 3/4 teams able to hoover up all the talent. It's going to be like that for a few years, at least until some other teams are able to start paying players. 

Check out the TRL politics section.

On second thoughts, don't. Just take my word for it that a lot of RL followers like to think of themselves as Left Wing. Yet we also find fervent support for individual rewards deeply embedded. Alongside scepticism and resistance to central planning and control.

One thing is for certain. Until the RFL acquire the means to spread the talent in WSL, serious imbalances are inevitable.

• Like 1