Rugby League viewership information

I am working a project (among many) currently wherein I am trying to rank the most watched sports events by viewership but on a metric that is like-for-like as many out there compare events like the Super Bowl with the FIFA World Cup which I think is a little unfair. So in that regard I have a couple of questions:

Which event has more viewers ? The Super League Grand Final or the NRL Grand Final?

Where can one get the viewership figures for that event for say the last 4 seasons or so?

Also how many countries are able to watch the event? I.e have broadcasting rights?

Thank you 

Apologies for maybe posting in the wrong section.

For SL Grand Final this article gìves rough figures:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/super-league-91232063?l=it

For the NRL, the following articles might help:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/afl-grand-final-collingwood-nrl-penrith-seven-nine-tv-ratings-viewership-audiences/#:~:text=The NRL grand final on,was at 605%2C000 on 9Now

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nrl-grand-final-2022-tv-ratings-audience-nine/

One thing it did make me think was that you might want to take into account the impact of COVID restrictions in different countries when making comparisons for 2020 and 2021.

As to broadcasting rights, I've absolutely no idea sorry!

On 18/03/2024 at 22:50, SouthBedfordshireFan said:

I am working a project (among many) currently wherein I am trying to rank the most watched sports events by viewership but on a metric that is like-for-like as many out there compare events like the Super Bowl with the FIFA World Cup which I think is a little unfair. So in that regard I have a couple of questions:

Which event has more viewers ? The Super League Grand Final or the NRL Grand Final?

Where can one get the viewership figures for that event for say the last 4 seasons or so?

Also how many countries are able to watch the event? I.e have broadcasting rights?

Thank you 

Apologies for maybe posting in the wrong section.

BARB compile UK TV viewing figures, but if you want anything more than the absolute basics (and you probably will for the purposes of your project), you will need to subscribe. And that will cost money.

TV/Streaming rights - the new for 2024 Superleague+ streaming service makes every single Super League match available in every territory bar two:

1. Australia, where Fox hold the broadcast rights and show matches on their dedicated RL channel.
  2. The UK, where most matches are streamed live on SL+, but others are available on catch-up, due to the Sky Sports broadcasting contract.

This season's sudden ramp-up in viewability is going to skew any and all viewer data because it has totally moved the goalposts and everyone is still adapting to the new way things are. Plus Sky are going to launch their own streaming service partway through this season, so any analysis is going to be pretty much useless in the short term.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson