Workington - Home

Workington at home this week. Hopefully no injuries to report from last week, I think Matt said in his post match interview that there was no immediate worries so hopefully that is the case. Reading the Workington forum it looks like they have a number of injuries and maybe coming to Cougar Park with a depleted squad. That said, you don't often get a Cumbrian side roll over so I fully expect Sunday to be a tough and physical encounter. Oldham put them to the sword last week on their own patch so it'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Fingers crossed for some dry weather to help the pitch recover, it was a mud bath against Cornwall and with further rain this week it'll be fairly similar I imagine. 

Team wise, I expect we will be unchanged if there are no injuries. It'll be interesting to see the dynamics of the 9 and 13 as the season progresses. Brown started at 9 but we effectively had Kes and Bishop playing 9 from the bench. I can't see us running with 3 9s all season and suspect Bishop may end up in the halves. Let's wait an see.

I am expecting much more of a test this week. As you say it's rare for it to be an easy game against Workington.

Last week after a good start our performance then slipped. We can't afford that to happen this week.

Overall i'm pleased with where we are but I don't think we are anywhere near our potential yet.

I think so far this season we have shown that we can play well in all conditions, however hopefully the sun will shine.

42 minutes ago, Dovster said:

I am expecting much more of a test this week. As you say it's rare for it to be an easy game against Workington.

Last week after a good start our performance then slipped. We can't afford that to happen this week.

Overall i'm pleased with where we are but I don't think we are anywhere near our potential yet.

I think so far this season we have shown that we can play well in all conditions, however hopefully the sun will shine.

It will definitely be more of a test but one we have to be winning if we are genuine contenders at the top. We played well in patches and scored easily when on it against Cornwall. A much more rounded performance will be required against Workington, we can't have Oscar Thomas throwing balls into touch every other set. 

I'm pleased with where we are too. I'm not convinced that Oscar Thomas is the answer at Stand Off, I'd rather see Ben Dean play who seemed to impress everyone in pre season. Like I mentioned before though I do think Bishop will move there once he can play 80 mins. 

I do think we will be a better side when the pitch dries up, but doesn't every side say that 😅

Thought we had some good spells where we played some really good rugby. 

My main concern is why does 90% of our passing game go out to left where Sa'u is. Graham and Ryder are onlookers most of the time. Good teams will load that side up defensively and snub us out.

Not sure how Thomas got MOM yesterday. Would be nice to see Dean get a run out on Friday.

I agree. We did play well and the result was never really in doubt.

However this was far from a full strength Workington team, so difficult to judge our performance.

Although we have scored over 100 points in two games, I also think our attack is still not quite firing. When we do get it right we are capeable of scoring some great trys.

Our discipline wasn't good at times and needs to improve.

Dan Parker was my MOM yesterday. Thought he had a brilliant game.

Looking forward to the Hunslet game who also had a good win yesterday.

3 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

Thought we had some good spells where we played some really good rugby. 

My main concern is why does 90% of our passing game go out to left where Sa'u is. Graham and Ryder are onlookers most of the time. Good teams will load that side up defensively and snub us out.

Not sure how Thomas got MOM yesterday. Would be nice to see Dean get a run out on Friday.

I suspect the coaching team had seen a weakness on their right edge and we looked to exploit it. You can't say it didn't work, Sa'u scored twice and Robson once. If teams do load that side defensively then you shift the ball the other way where you have numbers and take advantage that way.

I thought Thomas had a good game in fairness to him, maybe not MOM but I can't remember any errors from him. 

The only down side is the injury to Sa'u with a dead leg and the quick turn around this week. Hopefully he can recover in time. 

3 hours ago, Indigogo said:

I suspect the coaching team had seen a weakness on their right edge and we looked to exploit it. You can't say it didn't work, Sa'u scored twice and Robson once. If teams do load that side defensively then you shift the ball the other way where you have numbers and take advantage that way.

I thought Thomas had a good game in fairness to him, maybe not MOM but I can't remember any errors from him. 

The only down side is the injury to Sa'u with a dead leg and the quick turn around this week. Hopefully he can recover in time. 

Not taking anything away from Keighley win, but think Town should be congratulated on eventually scratting a team together after so many injuries and players pulling out at the last minute because of sickness,  Well don Town.    

36 minutes ago, JMB said:

Not taking anything away from Keighley win, but think Town should be congratulated on eventually scratting a team together after so many injuries and players pulling out at the last minute because of sickness,  Well don Town.    

Yep fair play to the lads that turned out. Obviously you were well down on numbers but I think the lads who played never gave up. I'm sure you'll get bodies back and maybe new players in and will win more than you lose this season.